Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
TheTeapot

More death and destruction

7 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

The biggest disgrace here is the continued lack of a National Road Safety Strategy. The inertia is appalling. It’s over 3 years ago I started drafting up discussion documents. I was then told to “wait” by the Chief Constable as he wanted th new incoming Supt to Head it up - further delays of several months. I now hear she is leaving early to take up a post on another Island!

"By the end of the year", according to the minister.  Although your info about personnel changes might push that out?

12 minutes ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

I agree completely.  Lost Login, consider yourself schooled!

I think wrighty was replying to you. I was basically referring on the mountain road.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

There are two distinct matters here. On the one hand, there is Road Safety, and what should be the right of every type of road user, insofar as they should have a reasonable expectation to complete their journey free from serious injury. This should never be a compromise, and Government should seek to achieve it as a priority. But they have little interest, hoping a biosphere status will put us on the world map rather than being a world leader in casualty reduction.

Then there is safer racing . It can be achieved - evidenced by the huge improvement in circuit racing safety over the last 50 years. But the TT and Southern courses, albeit there has been some progression with the likes of Recticell being used, seem to be several years behind the game.  I really hope it can be compelled to improve, as Road racing is a fantastic spectacle and something that should be preserved. 

Racers know the risks, but it shouldn’t stop us examining every possible method to improve their chances too. 

It's only a spectacle because it is so fast. Take away the speed and it is no longer. I don't know how long it can go on with such horrendous accidents quite frequently.

The wannabes are becoming a major statistic too. Something has to change.

Never thought I would say it, as I have always loved driving fast ( bikes too years ago), but I would now support a limit on the mountain road and maybe even an all island one of 60 or 70 mph. 

39 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

I think wrighty was replying to you. I was basically referring on the mountain road.

Thanks for the clarification!  Your proposal's still silly, though.

8 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

The temporary 60mph limit that is put in place for TT should stay all year round, the one about halfway down Kate's cottage to Hillberry. I've seen some close calls at the creg with cars indicating last minute for the creg ny baa back road, not what want we people are doing 80-100mph on the run up to the creg.

If they're doing 80/100mph at the Creg turnoff they ain't getting round the corner anyway

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

Thanks for the clarification!  Your proposal's still silly, though.

Yes God forbid we take action to stop people driving/riding like idiots. The UK is introducing permanent average speed cameras on many roads which have poor accident statistics. I wish they were not necessary but if drivers cannot be bothered driving within the laws and this is resulting in accidents then it is difficult to disagree with steps being taken to address

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

But the TT and Southern courses, albeit there has been some progression with the likes of Recticell being used, seem to be several years behind the game.

This is the nail being hit on the head. Firstly, machine development, to include speed, far outstrips circuit (road) and safety development. It's almost all, sadly, done on a reactive basis. Such as the upping of the game following the Jefferies and Rowbottom incidents and subsequent fallouts.

Add to that, in particular, the Manx attitude and traditional resistance to change and improvement. "This is the way we've always done it, yessir" and "We don't want no change around here".

Can you imagine the reaction if somebody had suggested the use of reticel fencing 30-40 years ago? "It'll ruin the event, the TT's for men", etc etc. I can recall various things over the last 30 years, I'm sure others can too. Inoperative fire extinguishers etc.

The game has to change IMHO.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

I don’t buddy, but from personal experience, the majority of bike fatalities I dealt with were visitors

Wow Sherlock...I wonder if that is anything to do with the 15,000 bikes we get over here at TT?

Who per mile have the same accident rates in Yorkshire.

7 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Wow Sherlock...I wonder if that is anything to do with the 15,000 bikes we get over here at TT?

Yorkshire roads must be carnage.

8 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

A good number have been outside the TT and MGP, Albert - as the last two illustrate.

One thing it does demonstrate is that local knowledge helps. There are some very quick local riders who manage to avoid issues. 

2 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

A good number have been outside the TT and MGP, Albert - as the last two illustrate.

One thing it does demonstrate is that local knowledge helps. There are some very quick local riders who manage to avoid issues. 

the last 2 were here during the southern 100 time frame which i think should join the TT and MGP  from an importing bikers to a motorsport event list.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2018 at 8:42 AM, wrighty said:

When I talk to my teenage children about this subject their response is “how is this still allowed to happen”. The racing’s one thing - doing what they loved, know the risks etc etc... - but the open road deaths, for an island this size, are something else. And it’s all about the speed culture attracting bikers over to try out their machines at limitless velocities over the mountain. This attraction is due to the races. (snip)

But when my kids’ generation come to the fore it’s all going to stop.  

Funny, my (grand)kids are the exact opposite. They have uncles that race, they love the racing and some of them enjoy riding motorbikes themselves. I suspect your kids don't. I highly doubt it's generational, it's just a difference of opinion. Some kids are wrapped in cotton wool and others enjoy life to the full ;)

Motorbikes are dangerous. It doesn't hardly matter where you crash or even how fast you're going, your chance of serious injury or death is very high when compared to a car. End of.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Butterflies said:

Some kids are wrapped in cotton wool and others enjoy life to the full ;)

This is typical of the attitude that perpetuates the myth of 'balls of steel, heroic, living life to the full, motorcycle road racers'. 

It's not compulsory to risk one's life in order to make the most of it.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4