Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
TheTeapot

More death and destruction

MF's usual racing haters just can't tear themselves away from the coverage - even keeping tabs on what the officials and fans are up to the evening after. Must be a very self loathing existence for them to be so obsessed with something they claim to hate with such passion!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bloodycomeover said:

MF's usual racing haters just can't tear themselves away from the coverage - even keeping tabs on what the officials and fans are up to the evening after. Must be a very self loathing existence for them to be so obsessed with something they claim to hate with such passion!

Such a caring post.

• Like 1

The truth is, people die. Not only that, families are ruined, the consequences and the grief are far-reaching. Until very recently, no one wanted it talked about, those who did were villified for their conscience. For some, like LC and others on here (including myself) and elsewhere, there has to be some balance applied to the TT glory, the fanfare and splendour. The truth, it appears, is that it's more likely to hurt the pro-TT-at-any-cost fanbase when the negative coverage is publicised.

I wouldn't normally bother to join in the TT threads anymore, it's all been said before, pro and anti, but in recent years there has been a steady growth of local opposition to the event and its organising, especially when the full realisation of the negatives are examined. As they always should be, in public.

• Like 7

I am no expert as I don't really follow the racing. I don't recall many fatalities in the Southern 100 over the years. Is it a fairly new thing to be happening down there?

6 minutes ago, NoTail said:

I am no expert as I don't really follow the racing. I don't recall many fatalities in the Southern 100 over the years. Is it a fairly new thing to be happening down there?

Sadly not. There was a bad year recently with 3 deaths.

I love the southern 100 and think its far better than the TT and MGP for many reasons.

Sadly it is taking it's toll. I don't know why. Maybe the bikes are just too fast these days.

I would not want the racing stopped, but something has to be done soon to counter this mayhem or it will be taken out of the hands of the organisers. The TT also.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NoTail said:

There has often been fatalities at the S100 - but lesser known names attract lesser public outpourings of grief.

Social media obviously highlights the collective grief and brings forth the "heartfelt" platitudes which is possibly why it is more noticeable.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:
24 minutes ago, NoTail said:

There has often been fatalities at the S100 - but lesser known names attract lesser public outpourings of grief.

Social media obviously highlights the collective grief and brings forth the "heartfelt" platitudes which is possibly why it is more noticeable.

That is a very insensitive post.

Just because you have not heard of the riders who have lost their lives there, does not mean they are any less important to their family and friends.

Quite a few well know riders have died at the southern, this year being no different. You do a great disservice to the sport with your childish post about social media and show your age and ignorance at the same time.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, dilligaf said:

That is a very insensitive post.

Just because you have not heard of the riders who have lost their lives there, does not mean they are any less important to their family and friends.

Quite a few well know riders have died at the southern, this year being no different. You do a great disservice to the sport with your childish post about social media and show your age and ignorance at the same time.

In no way is it insensitive - translate the sentiment to any sport or any activity with a profile and you will always see those with the highest profile / rank / perceived importance get the most column inches and largest out pouring of false grief.

Casting my mind back to the early 80 (thus rebuking your childish assertion) I believe it was the journalist Ted Macauley (a likeable rogue) who wrote for the Daily Mirror, annually he trotted out a death race diatribe against the TT which drew the ire and anger of the IOM Public who collectively took it as an afront that the sacred cow could be criticised.

It is nothing new - just more openly disliked due to many reasons which includes social media...

• Like 4

I remember pushing Roger Allen on his Triumph Tiger as he started it in the Pre TT races some years back. 20 mins later he was killed.

I'm not a dan these days. I have an awful feeling of dread each year as the TT comes around regarding accidents and fatalities in the races and on the public roads

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

believe it was the journalist Ted Macauley (a likeable rogue) who wrote for the Daily Mirror, annually he trotted out a death race diatribe against the TT...

Are you sure it was TM? He was S.M.B. Hailwood’s manager and it was TM who engineered Hailwood’s famous TT return. More recently TM authored the Hutchinson biography. I can’t see TM penning a diatribe against the TT. I recall that the worst of the press comments were in the Daily Mail - “Bloodbath Island” - which scarcely comes as a surprise.

• Like 3

Just now, Uhtred said:

Are you sure it was TM? He was S.M.B. Hailwood’s manager and it was TM who engineered Hailwood’s famous TT return. More recently TM authored the Hutchinson biography. I can’t see TM penning a diatribe against the TT. I recall that the worst of the press comments were in the Daily Mail - “Bloodbath Island” - which scarcely comes as a surprise.

You will be correct I didn't fact check - I just always remember one of the red tops had a guy who annually had his say.

i do remember the Daily Mail one - might be worth a bit of research to see if it is still pertinent.

42 minutes ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

I have an awful feeling of dread each year as the TT comes around regarding accidents and fatalities in the races and on the public roads

This. The avoidable cost, year on year...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

You will be correct I didn't fact check - I just always remember one of the red tops had a guy who annually had his say.

i do remember the Daily Mail one - might be worth a bit of research to see if it is still pertinent.

I think that Mail article was around the time that Mac Hobson and Kenny Birch were killed on Bray Hill and then Ernst Trachsel lost his life moments later at the foot of the hill; I’m guessing 1978 but I could be out a year or two.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Such a caring post.

caring is not a requirement,  pretending to at the right times is.

• Like 1