Rally Under Threat...

No Shit Sherlock!

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/tougher-time-for-rally-re-build/

With IOMGovernment, DofIncompetence and Starship Enterprise and Captain Skelly at the Helm, you can be guaranteed that it will be years if any, before any Rally Championship round comes back to the island. With all these hallowed people involved in the Rally and having been involved in the State Broadcaster and Mouthpiece, it’s funny how these people have been ripped apart by the state, to justify their own misgivings.

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Too many wheels.

The success of the Isle of Man “brand” and its international reputation is vital to the island's prosperity which is why Government holds ultimate responsibility for its success, or failure. One of th

Why, from my way of thinking it is the fault of the Rally organisers that the Rally is not going ahead .  Poor organisation, they cancelled it.   Poker Stars Rally is going ahead with no problems so i

Posted Images

15 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

No idea I was just going on what Robertshaw said in his interview. I assume as a hotelier he’d know more than most which events the tourist bookings come from. It’s a bit worrying if IOMG can’t confirm or deny that statement as if it is the third largest event then a lot of hotels are going to be a bit shagged for any income past MGP week next year. What other rallies are there which aren’t just local events put on by local clubs? 

Which is why I asked the question about the matrix that's used to determine the status. Methinks the Honourable Gentleman might be exaggerating. From previous years of eye-balling the number of people attending the Manx & other Rallies I would suggest you'd be hard pushed to match even the Easter Rugby or Hockey events of past years. And since Rally IOM have admitted that entries were below what they expected I'm inclined to think that those hostelries affected by the demise of the event will be a lot less than he believes. But I stand to be corrected.  

• Like 1

There was an interview with Chris. ....the Rally reporter on the 7.30 news this morning, he was involved with the organisation of the Rally for a while until the last few years and he said that competitors were not happy with some of the organisation last year and there was talk The about dropping the Isle of Man Circuit for this year.   He went on to say that it would be very difficult to get this status back.    Interestingly on the next two news flashes there was only the very last bit of his interview quoted, the bit about it would be difficult to regain this status.   Manx Radio have a habit of doing this and it gives a wholly different meaning to the entire interview.    But, hey it would not do at all to let the truth get in the way of a bit of government bashing.   As for Robertshaw he is all about getting his voters on side, the man who was only going to serve one term !  I would not believe a word that comes out of his mouth.

This was handled badly by Robertshaw IMO...the rally was done in through making these failings very public in July and the event then seemed to go into a downward spiral. What person in their right mind would write out a big entry cheque given that level of doubt in July, as well as the already existing misgivings from previous years?

Much work and effort should have been carried out in the background first.

Our representitives seem to find it all too easy to issue press releases, seeking blame instead of working out solutions.

If it is ever to go ahead again it will need a brand new organising body with a good few credible people, possibly paying to involve some of the guys that organise the UK events, as well as good communication with and sensible timetabling from govt...and possibly govt representation within the organising committee with the aim of making the event bigger and better.

Govt need a clearer organising process that is the same for all 4 wheeled events on closed public roads.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

This was handled badly by Robertshaw IMO...the rally was done in through making these failings very public in July and the event then seemed to go into a downward spiral. What person in their right mind would write out a big entry cheque given that level of doubt in July, as well as the already existing misgivings from previous years?

Surely that doubt was down to the attitude of the DOI? 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Surely that doubt was down to the attitude of the DOI? 

My point was that Robertshaw identified and highlighted problems in the whole chain, made them very public, and events (or non events in this case) took the inevitable path they did.

Much more should have happened behind the scenes.. GIVEN...another rally is already organised for Nov.

There is the full interview with Chris Boyce on Isle of Man News and Politics u tube style and after watching this I am even more convinced that the fault is totally with the organisers but of course the usual government rubbishers will never give up trying to put fault at their door.    Watch it and see.

1 hour ago, Albert Tatlock said:

My point was that Robertshaw identified and highlighted problems in the whole chain, made them very public, and events (or non events in this case) took the inevitable path they did.

Much more should have happened behind the scenes.. GIVEN...another rally is already organised for Nov.

As I understand it the other rally is basically a club rally. Nowhere near the scale of the 140 stages planned for Rally IOM and uses largely the same roads each year. You can’t compare like for like I don’t think with what was a round of the British Rally Championship - a major sporting event with a big media profile. I’d like to say that it will all come out in the wash but it won’t as people seem to be literally shitting themselves that their going to lose their roles over this. The bit that concerns me most though is that IOMG can’t even confirm or deny that it’s the third largest event outside of the TT and the MGP as clearly they have no clue whether it is or whether it isn’t. They must have some data you’d assume? If the event is as significant as is being claimed then heads should certainly roll. If it isn’t they should come out and confirm the low economic value if that is the defense they’re sticking to. 

I’d also say that compensating people is an admission of guilt. Any insurer would tell you that. Why is government bailing out hoteliers if none of this has anything to do with them? It’s our money. They should be able to answer that question too. The minute the DfE announced they were compensating people that convinced me that they know they fucked up. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 3

Interestingly on the next two news flashes there was only the very last bit of his interview quoted, the bit about it would be difficult to regain this status.   Manx Radio have a habit of doing this and it gives a wholly different meaning to the entire interview.

Manx Radio has a really good strong story about the management problems with the rally  but have failed to make it a news item! Why?

13 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

The rally normally runs a stage which goes along the Corlea Road. That very minor road got some lovely new tarmac a couple of years ago. Who lives along there with some kind of influence?

Maybe we’ll find out the real reasons tomorrow. Someone sent me this link this morning.

87DD2B28-C352-4921-8772-44A4FEA9ED8C.jpeg

Right on schedule. Cueball's blog gets referenced and within five minutes TheTeabagged is on the case to try and deter people from reading it. I'm sure poster A, B and C will be along shortly to agree. Why not pre-empt yourself and also confirm in advance of the weekend that Bob Collister has totally nothing to do with its almost inevitable removal by the weekend.

Edited by Howard