Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Blimey just had to wash my car using baby wipes instead. 72 flushes it took to get them all down the bog but glad to be doing my part.

Oh thank God. No more sneaking around in the dark, hose in hand. Living on the edge. 

OK, we agree on something, one of us must be ill.. 

Posted Images

There’s a great big reservoir down south which they decommissioned, such short term planning. 

Anyone got a figure on how much water is lost through poor infrastructure or is that not available for the riff raff.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, John Wright said:

That's what I said about water consumption.

I'm not sure about number of occupants, as such, because rates are a tax on property, not a charge for services consumed, at least in legal principle and theory.

Forgive me but I've been told that the "rates" are to cover such things as street lighting , sewage , refuse disposal, libraries   etc etc .

Given that a property  occupied by a couple would place perhaps less of a burden on the Local Authority than say a property occupied by a number of adults or a large family would it be more honest to call "rates" a property tax.

(I know of one home owner who pays £2,600  and another  who pays £180, both properties are occupied by 2 persons.)

Edited by paswt
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, paswt said:

Forgive me but I've been told that the "rates" are to cover such things as street lighting , sewage , refuse disposal, libraries   etc etc .

Given that a property  occupied by a couple would place perhaps less of a burden on the Local Authority than say a property occupied by a number of adults or a large family would it be more honest to call "rates" a property tax.

(I know of one home owner who pays £2,600  and another  who pays £180, both properties are occupied by 2 persons.)

I can assure you that rates are a tax on property, not a charge for services. What you describe may be what the tax raised is spent on.

That, a tax upon property, is how Rates are described and defined in the Rating & Valuation Act.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Water is itemised on the rates bill though. I think i paid about 450 quid for water last year.

It’s itemised separately, because water rates are charged at an all Island fixed rate, local authority rates are set by each authority.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

Water is itemised on the rates bill though. I think i paid about 450 quid for water last year.

Just seen a rate demand from 'The Treasury, Rates Section' on a 'Bungalow& garage' for the Church Yard Rate,Water Rate and Sewerage Rate with a rateable value of £352 ........only .............£1514.17.:D 

/so it could be worse "TSE" :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, paswt said:

Just seen a rate demand from 'The Treasury, Rates Section' on a 'Bungalow& garage' for the Church Yard Rate,Water Rate and Sewerage Rate with a rateable value of £352 ........only .............£1514.17.:D 

/so it could be worse "TSE" :lol:

Otherwise known as a pension demand.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, paswt said:

Just seen a rate demand from 'The Treasury, Rates Section' on a 'Bungalow& garage' for the Church Yard Rate,Water Rate and Sewerage Rate with a rateable value of £352 ........only .............£1514.17.:D 

/so it could be worse "TSE" :lol:

I am not saying where, but there is at least one "bungalow" over here with more than six bedrooms and five bathrooms. Not quite Dan Dare stuff eh?

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I am not saying where, but there is at least one "bungalow" over here with more than six bedrooms and five bathrooms. Not quite Dan Dare stuff eh?

I've got four bogs but can only shite in one at a time;)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Gizo said:

Anyone got a figure on how much water is lost through poor infrastructure or is that not available for the riff raff.

Heading towards the thick end of 50%. And they’re reasonably happy with that figure.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...