Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Last Ten

Moorhouse and Castletown Square

20 minutes ago, display name said:

If Cubbon is involved,compromise wouldn't sit well.

Think it might well have done when his father had the butchers shop in Arbory Street. 

Nice chap. But isn’t his life perrrrfect. 

The deck chairs are a nice touch. There are about 50 people sat around in the square, ice cream van doing good trade, its so much better without cars.

• Like 1

I am not on facebook, but perhaps someone who is could bring this to the attention of the commissioners....... This morning I was parked outside the George in the Square looking at the astroturf and the deckchairs and children's toys, which occupy the other half of the square. A number of small children were playing with the toys, when one of them decided to run off, and as there is no barrier between what is now effectively a children's play area and the cars parking an accident with a car was narrowly avoided. I told a parking controller to bring this to the attention of the commissioners it needs fencing or the whole thing closing again , whatever my personal views before there is an accident ! I would be grateful if someone can copy and paste this onto the commissioners facebook site. Cheers !!

44 minutes ago, asitis said:

I am not on facebook, but perhaps someone who is could bring this to the attention of the commissioners....... This morning I was parked outside the George in the Square looking at the astroturf and the deckchairs and children's toys, which occupy the other half of the square. A number of small children were playing with the toys, when one of them decided to run off, and as there is no barrier between what is now effectively a children's play area and the cars parking an accident with a car was narrowly avoided. I told a parking controller to bring this to the attention of the commissioners it needs fencing or the whole thing closing again , whatever my personal views before there is an accident ! I would be grateful if someone can copy and paste this onto the commissioners facebook site. Cheers !!

Shouldn't have allowed parking outside the George. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Declan said:

Shouldn't have allowed parking outside the George. 

Nothing wrong with parking outside the George. More parental control required. 

Child could just as easily run into the roadway   

• Like 2

Just now, forestboy said:

I agree about parental control. Just there's no need for the parking outside the George. It's crazy  - a beautiful national asset like the Castle and its Square disfigured by ugly black and grey cars. 

1 hour ago, asitis said:

https://www.castletown.gov.im/contact-us/

9 minutes ago, forestboy said:

I agree about parental control but this was a very young child and creating a play area not separated from a busy parking area is madness and an accident waiting to happen !

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Declan said:

I agree about parental control. Just there's no need for the parking outside the George. It's crazy  - a beautiful national asset like the Castle and its Square disfigured by ugly black and grey cars. 

Wasn’t that where all the original cast iron posts were in place so people could tether their horses outside the George in years gone by? I wonder how the Victorians would have responded if the commissioners had told them to tether their horses to posts miles away and walk in for a pint? Just a thought on what we seem to regard as progress in the IOM. 

2 minutes ago, MrPB said:

Wasn’t that where all the original cast iron posts were in place so people could tether their horses outside the George in years gone by? I wonder how the Victorians would have responded if the commissioners had told them to tether their horses to posts miles away and walk in for a pint? Just a thought on what we seem to regard as progress in the IOM. 

My personal views on the square and parking don't matter what matters here is some child going under a car promulgated by some half assed planning layout by the commissioners !!

2 hours ago, asitis said:

My personal views on the square and parking don't matter what matters here is some child going under a car promulgated by some half assed planning layout by the commissioners !!

By the same token surely they should have to fence off ALL the pavements as well?

All that parking is doing is saving some folks having to walk how many yards? How many is it, three or four plus two disabled? Surely it can't be justifiable. Make the spaces down from the bus shelter disabled only and then it's problem solved and a much nicer environment.

• Like 1