Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
manx-person

Athol Street police presence

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, WTF said:

why the public?   if person A is only after person B ,  persons C D E etc are not a target and should be in little to no danger  unless one of them is person B's identical twin.

Or person C is between person A and person B, but given the naming convention this is unlikely to happen. 

Just be thankful that person A isn't after person Z.

Edited by gadget
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, manx-person said:

Well guns are dangerous, or more specifically bullets, if person A discharges a weapon at person B, or person B discharges a weapon at person B, then the bullet could actually harm person C, D, E or even F !

well if person B is going to discharge a weapon at person B there would be no need for person A to be after them in the first place and everybody is safe.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Neil Down said:

This from somebody who got on a high horse because another poster didn't like certain topics. So from now on shall we run topics past you to see if you are comfortable with them?

Neil, very few people want to read about which bullet causes the most damage to the human body

That is very different to discussing fatal accidents etc

Maybe being in the forces desensitized you to death, but men killing men is obscene as is trying to find ways to do it with lumps of lead at high velocity 

Sorry if that offends you, I tend to agree with all that you post but not this

3 hours ago, manx-person said:

Thanks @thommo2010 I'm interested as to the circumstances where armed police could be deployed in vehicles for a number of days but those members of the public working in the area were not to be considered at risk.

As they were in marked cars, if the officers had been outside the cars with guns then the public could have made their risk assessment themselves based upon the presence of armed officers - Unless you walked close to the cars and looked in you wouldn't have seen that they were armed.

There are only a few commanders who are qualified to plan and run pre-planned operations as this would seem to be. Once you have your plan together, you then have to convince a Strategic Firearms Commander that your plan is solid. The safety of the public is absolutely, always, right up there as the first priority. If you don't approach it that way then it doesn't get authorised. 

The PR side should however be part of the overall picture. Whereas if you are in London you are used to seeing armed cops and live operations, here they are thankfully a rare occurrence. 

I'd be interested to know what was going on - but do I need to? Not really! But if its as robust a unit as it was when I left, then I'm sure it will be well run and led 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Derek Flint said:

There are only a few commanders who are qualified to plan and run pre-planned operations as this would seem to be. Once you have your plan together, you then have to convince a Strategic Firearms Commander that your plan is solid. The safety of the public is absolutely, always, right up there as the first priority. If you don't approach it that way then it doesn't get authorised. 

The PR side should however be part of the overall picture. Whereas if you are in London you are used to seeing armed cops and live operations, here they are thankfully a rare occurrence. 

I'd be interested to know what was going on - but do I need to? Not really! But if its as robust a unit as it was when I left, then I'm sure it will be well run and led 

I would hope and expect that there would be these robust procedures in place, but the public don’t have your insights into the individuals and the policies and in any country where there is “policing by consent” in unusual situations this I think needs to be demonstrated to their satisfaction.

I agree with you about the PR side of things - I do think this is a public safety issue - and in the absence of information I have my concerns - they may yet be a release from the Isle of Man police I guess if there is press coverage in tomorrow’s papers.

If Thommo is a serving police officer, then surely he is in need of some psychological counseling for his belligerent attitude? Hope he's not armed!

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, manx-person said:

I would hope and expect that there would be these robust procedures in place, but the public don’t have your insights into the individuals and the policies and in any country where there is “policing by consent” in unusual situations this I think needs to be demonstrated to their satisfaction.

I agree with you about the PR side of things - I do think this is a public safety issue - and in the absence of information I have my concerns - they may yet be a release from the Isle of Man police I guess if there is press coverage in tomorrow’s papers.

There is stuff that you just can't disclose for operational reasons. But fears can be allayed (and a lot of rumours put to bed) by something along the lines of "Yes, there is an armed operation in progress in the Athol Street area at present. We can't disclose too much for reasons of operational integrity, but I'd like to reassure the public that the operational plan, and its contingencies put public safety at the very top of our priorities. If people would like to know more about how these operations are set up, and the doctrine behind them, they can find the College of Policing Authorised Professional Practice on Armed Policing at the following link: https://www.app.college.police.uk/app-content/armed-policing/ " 

Still - 18 months is a long time and it may all have changed on the PR policy front since I left. What I will say though, is the Chief has been explicit in his approach to armed policing on the Island in his previous annual reports. He absolutely gets the threat and risk, and why he has no option other than to spend money to make sure the resilience is there, and the training is right. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Neil, very few people want to read about which bullet causes the most damage to the human body...

None of them are beneficial.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

None of them are beneficial.

in some people they would benefit many others

• Haha 2

We still only have the OPs word that armed police are there. 

3 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Neil, very few people want to read about which bullet causes the most damage to the human body

That is very different to discussing fatal accidents etc

Maybe being in the forces desensitized you to death, but men killing men is obscene as is trying to find ways to do it with lumps of lead at high velocity 

Sorry if that offends you, I tend to agree with all that you post but not this

Doesn’t offend me at all dilli. I saw things in Northern Ireland that would curl you hair. The “men” who committed these atrocities deserved an abrupt end.  Depriving the planet of their existence is a massive plus.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Neil Down said:

Doesn’t offend me at all dilli. I saw things in Northern Ireland that would curl you hair. The “men” who committed these atrocities deserved an abrupt end.  Depriving the planet of their existence is a massive plus.

I don’t disagree with that tbh where there is a clear enemy, but the likes of the Middle East etc who is the real enemy?

Just now, dilligaf said:

I don’t disagree with that tbh where there is a clear enemy, but the likes of the Middle East etc who is the real enemy?

Every one of them appears to be an enemy in that hell hole. 

Speaking of which, Mr Britain appears to have gone dark lately.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

The enemy to us? Probably the same ones who travel to the UK/Europe/Russia/USA and commit atrocities/multiple murders in the name of their God? Just as we are to them maybe.