Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
LightBulb

Richmond hill

1 hour ago, Kopek said:

"  Why did we go from a round "Stop Sign" to a Hexagonal one ? "

They all start off round, then they cut bits off all around the edge, melt them down and make more stop signs. Can't have too many.

Much like I'm doing with the round pounds, clip bits off to make round pounds when we change over to sided ones, to fit that damn machine that hasn't been converted!

Don’t tell Moorhouse, or we’ll have a fucking Tynwald question about counterfeiting stop signs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Chef Raekwon said:

They tend to entirely close Richmond Hill in the event of snow these days so I can't see the closed lane being of any consequence.

It’s alright, Richmond Hill grits itself now

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

2 hours ago, Chef Raekwon said:

They tend to entirely close Richmond Hill in the event of snow these days so I can't see the closed lane being of any consequence.

Can someone with any road laying experience answer me a serious question please. I thought chippings ultimately worked by compression so the tar goes down which binds the chips and then the compression of the chips by vehicles further binds and pushes the chips into the road surface over time. So now they have closed a whole lane because of loose chips but surely if there’s no traffic on that stretch for the next 4 weeks won’t the same problem still exist the second they open up that lane again as there’s been no traffic compressing the new chips further into the surface for weeks. Or am I just being stupid? 

maybe they didn't add enough thickness of tar for the chippings to bed into?  would be quite surprising if that was the case from a department with so much 'thickness' to go round.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, WTF said:

maybe they didn't add enough thickness of tar for the chippings to bed into?  would be quite surprising if that was the case from a department with so much 'thickness' to go round.

That's a different type of thickness...;)

• Haha 1

............maybe they didn't realise it's a hill? It needs a slightly different process to flat roads because the gravel starts to gravitate to the lowest point before it has time to bed into the tar. The whole system is a cheap attempt at road maintenance on a poorly built base.........so there!

1 hour ago, doc.fixit said:

............maybe they didn't realise it's a hill? It needs a slightly different process to flat roads because the gravel starts to gravitate to the lowest point before it has time to bed into the tar. The whole system is a cheap attempt at road maintenance on a poorly built base.........so there!

In that case doc, hope somebody points out that water runs downhill...

• Like 1

..............something else they need to learn as well as what drains are for............

• Like 2

When did 'Halt' signs become 'Stop' signs? Why? Stop what? Stop picking your nose while driving? That's as dangerous as using a mobile! Stop hanging your handbag on the choke pull? Polluting.

I always ignore these signs as I don't know what I'm supposed to be stopping!!!

Crazy world!

12 minutes ago, Kopek said:

When did 'Halt' signs become 'Stop' signs? Why? Stop what? Stop picking your nose while driving? That's as dangerous as using a mobile! Stop hanging your handbag on the choke pull? Polluting.

I always ignore these signs as I don't know what I'm supposed to be stopping!!!

Crazy world!

The internationally recognised STOP sign was first prescribed for use in the United Kingdom by the Traffic Sign Regulations and General Directions 1975

changed so that when covered in snow it cannot be distinguished from others whereas the 'halt' sign could by the 'T' shape of it !

• Haha 2

Hah! So you're old enough to remember them too!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tempus Fugit said:

changed so that when covered in snow it cannot be distinguished from others whereas the 'halt' sign could by the 'T' shape of it !

?

On 1/16/2019 at 8:15 PM, Chef Raekwon said:

But could it not just be open when it is snowing for 4 x 4`s ?

On 1/16/2019 at 8:57 PM, quilp said:

We didn't go from one to t'other, there's a logical reason behind it...

_20190116_205515.JPG

But do the drivers facing the back of the sign know that ?, as there is nothing in the highway code mentioning that.