Jump to content
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
LightBulb

Richmond hill

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

There was FA wrong (IMHO) with the original Richmond Hill. £3M+ was spent allegedly to make it safer though IIRC it was no more dangerous than it is now. The old road certainly didn't disappear under a curtain of water when it rained. There's been nothing but trouble and revisit after revisit since the great overhaul.

Any previous "safety issues" could have been addressed by the imposition of a speed limit northbound, hey, just like they've had to put on the new "safer" road now.

It was just an excuse to burn money. Probably because we had an embarrassing excess of it.

It was made very much safer though.

There were several fatalities and many badly damaged folk before they changes the layout. I remember loads of crashes on that top bend, even single vehicle ones.

I don't think anyone has died or been seriously injured since the "improvements". although somebody managed to turn over a scooby going up the first bit just after iom farmers.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

It was made very much safer though.

There were several fatalities and many badly damaged folk before they changes the layout. I remember loads of crashes on that top bend, even single vehicle ones.

I don't think anyone has died or been seriously injured since the "improvements". although somebody managed to turn over a scooby going up the first bit just after iom farmers.

 

Unless I'm very much mistaken there's been at least one fatality on the new road?

All that was needed was enforced speed limit on the old road. And as you've posted, the fact that somebody STILL managed to put a car sunnyside down speaks volumes for the standard of driving and the need for that limit? Let alone all the ongoing problems and revisits. At what expense? Not forgetting of course, the unauthorised £130k Horses Home car park.

Edited by Non-Believer
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Unless I'm very much mistaken there's been at least one fatality on the new road?

All that was needed was enforced speed limit on the old road. And as you've posted, the fact that somebody STILL managed to put a car sunnyside down speaks volumes for the standard of driving and the need for that limit?

There is no accounting for drunks.

The one fatality was a guy going home from an xmas do and somehow managed to walk into the path of a coach ( that poor driver has to live with that)

The scooby driver was just a scooby driver. What else can one say ? 

Edit to add that some clown overturned his car in Malvern Road. What the fuck is that about.

Edit yet again to explain that the area used for all the lorries and materials used during the reforming of the road, was put into tarmac as a gesture of good faith. This is the now famous carpark.

Furthermore a new stable block or whatever was also built FOC for the HORFOH. So please don't believe the BS about the carpark.

Edited by dilligaf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of which, can anyone remember the 'Accident - Black Spot' signs. Wasn't there one on the main road next to Anagh Coar?

 

 

Edited by joeyconcrete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, joeyconcrete said:

Speaking of which, can anyone remember the 'Accident - Black Spot' signs. Wasn't there on the main road next to Anagh Coar?

 

 

Yes. Following fatalities.

 You got a short memory ?

Yes I know you are running the show, but maybe think before you post. ( as well as us plebs )

Edited by dilligaf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...........they'd be better with, 'corrugated road surface', signs..............I believe there must be a school for corrugated road surfaces somewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, doc.fixit said:

...........they'd be better with, 'corrugated road surface', signs..............I believe there must be a school for corrugated road surfaces somewhere.

The Manx Ploughing Society ?

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Yes they should rip out all the dual lanes, maybe even take out all the tarmac Island wide (it encourages speeding) and narrow the roads a bit (it encourages overtaking) and then we could all get a horse and they’d have nothing to do anymore. 

Nobody in their right mind would trust you with a bloody horse...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Nobody in their right mind would trust you with a bloody horse...

especially the horse.:ph34r:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, joeyconcrete said:

 Black Spot' signs.

 

 

That was ‘Treasure Island’. Mind you, I reckon it was Blind Pew that surfaced Richmond Hill.

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

That was ‘Treasure Island’. Mind you, I reckon it was Blind Pew that surfaced Richmond Hill.

Him or his granny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2019 at 10:39 PM, joeyconcrete said:

I do not profess to being an expert on traffic systems design or road surfacing (an ironic entrée), but it seems whenever there are countless upon countless errors, mistakes and issues, there is little consequence or repercussion (at least publicly).

  • Richmond Hill can only be repaired when it is warm. What do other countries do in colder climates? If this particular material/surface can only be repaired when warm, then why use it?
  • The contractor is at fault - surely there are penalties/warranties that go beyond just fixing it. Firms normally have to demonstrate a level of insurance for exactly this. If it is poor quality, has the company been eliminated from future tenders?

The journey has only increased by around 30 seconds, which is not the end of the world - but this is merely another instance of what many describe as amateur/incompetance. 

The 'new' corner they implemented on Johnny Wattersons (just down from the Cat) is not only non-sensical, but it has a shocking road surface (due to the increased wear of a corner). The surface dressing did wonders for the handling... The logic behind the construction of that questionable corner is equally illogical.

Looking at the other side.

Are DOI's challenges due to a lack of budget / lack of expertise / lack of leadership / lack of resource?

Comparatively, how well funded are is the Island's TT Course roads per-capita/per-mile to a region in the UK/EU? 

 

Amended for accuracy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Yes. Following fatalities.

 You got a short memory ?

Yes I know you are running the show, but maybe think before you post. ( as well as us plebs )

I'm not sure of the intent or insinuation behind your post - as it was a genuine question, not designed to offend? I remember, as a kid, there was the odd sign.

A quick Google search (now) suggests they were for areas where there were multiple accidents. They stopped using them because they didn't actually reduce further accidents. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, dilligaf said:

The one fatality was a guy going home from an xmas do and somehow managed to walk into the path of a coach ( that poor driver has to live with that)

 

Not long before that in Douglas, a coach had hit some scaffolding and caused damage to a property when its wing mirror broke off and crashed a front room window,

The driver carried on, as he told police he hadn't noticed hitting the scaffolding or that his wing mirror had broken off.

What has this got to do with it?

I don't know.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, joeyconcrete said:

I'm not sure of the intent or insinuation behind your post - as it was a genuine question, not designed to offend? I remember, as a kid, there was the odd sign.

A quick Google search (now) suggests they were for areas where there were multiple accidents. They stopped using them because they didn't actually reduce further accidents. 

I assumed,wrongly, that you were of an age to remember lots of fatalities prompting the installation of these signs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×