Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
LightBulb

Richmond hill

3 hours ago, joeyconcrete said:

I'm not sure of the intent or insinuation behind your post - as it was a genuine question, not designed to offend? I remember, as a kid, there was the odd sign.

A quick Google search (now) suggests they were for areas where there were multiple accidents. They stopped using them because they didn't actually reduce further accidents. 

Yes because of course putting thousands of signs up stops people having accidents according to the DOI. We must have more signs per square mile that almost anywhere else. 

Related, some studies found campaigns saying “Don’t drink and drive” actually reminded many people to go out for a drink! 

I recall one study suggested that the primary correlation between drink driving occurrences were socio demographic and economic (unemployment and education amongst others). Campaigns had zero impact depending on conditions.

They also considered punishments, shock adverts and free alternatives (ie bus travel).

I think the conclusion in many studies... it made no difference! Regression toward the mean.

I often walk past the ‘No fly tipping’ sign near Howstrake. The ardent fly tipper surely wouldn’t be dissuaded by the sign! While it’s of no relevance to a law abiding citizen. Would Tony, with his old Hotpoint fridge in the back of his van, be convinced to change his mind at 3am and go to the amenity site?  Or would he tip elsewhere, in which case the sign really means ‘No fly tipping here’. 

How do the commissioners measure the ROI? No fly tipping? If it occurs elsewhere, does that warrant another sign? How about ‘No nuclear waste’ or ‘No felt museums’.  I digress.

Edited by joeyconcrete

.....still think the best campaign was the Daily Mirror one in the sixties. In most town centres across, was a smashed car or two and smashed dummies with lots of blood and gore. They also published a horrible booklet. .....It certainly slowed me down!, (I was working over there at the time).........I've never forgotten it, it was absolutely shocking and has remained in my memory and I'm sure has affected my driving for the better.............

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

.....still think the best campaign was the Daily Mirror one in the sixties. In most town centres across, was a smashed car or two and smashed dummies with lots of blood and gore. They also published a horrible booklet. .....It certainly slowed me down!, (I was working over there at the time).........I've never forgotten it, it was absolutely shocking and has remained in my memory and I'm sure has affected my driving for the better.............

the pansy state wouldn't allow such effective tactics these days

• Like 3

.............I seem to recall that a while ago in Holland I think, they experimented with NO road signs and road markings and on the whole accident rates decreased. I may be wrong but it's niggling away in my brain.................)it's got a lot space to niggle!...............

• Haha 1

Some London boroughs did away with obligatory 'Stop' junctions and made them 'Give Way' instead. Traffic flow improved.

Off topic. 

A lot of the patches where chippings haven’t bedded in (especially going south) look to be in areas where you normally accelerate to overtake. 

Maybe people not keeping to the 30mph limit during bedding in didn’t help. 

• Like 1

.............I seem to recall that a while ago in Holland I think, they experimented with NO road signs and road markings and on the whole accident rates decreased. I may be wrong but it's niggling away in my brain.................)it's got a lot space to niggle!...............

With all due respect Doc, who would give two fucks what those clog wearing badly dressed fuckers do ? I mean, what have the dutch done for the world?

(apart from crap cheese and silly cars).

• Haha 1

I remember reading reports of the same experiment. They should do the same here. I noticed Circular Road seemed to function a lot better this morning with bust traffic lights. 

• Like 2

Great painters, advances in map-making, Anthony Fokker the aviation pioneer, er, dykes etc.

And Treat.

• Like 2

Just now, quilp said:

Great painters, advances in map-making, Anthony Fokker the aviation pioneer, er, dykes etc.

And Treat.

And loads of legal drugs. 

No one has said who is paying for the repairs......unless I missed it, to me this is the main concern.

10 minutes ago, quilp said:

And Treat.

Yeah, but apart from that ?

• Haha 2