Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
LightBulb

Richmond hill

1 hour ago, Gizo said:

You can only imagine the clusterfuck the promenade is going to be. 

It will hopefully do for Ray Harmer’s career what Castletown Square and the Sloc did for Phil Gawnes. By the time of the next election 70% of the IOM will be totally sick of what a monumental clusterfuck the prom has turned in to. 

7 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

It will hopefully do for Ray Harmer’s career what Castletown Square and the Sloc did for Phil Gawnes. 

Which will basically prove that the Department's political heads are nothing more than sacrificial pawns for the egos and incompetence of the Dept's hierachy. Entirely expendable in the march from cock up to cock up. And why not? Who's going to stop it?

• Like 2

Being from the IOM, I have tried my best to develop a Manx Crab Correction ability. This is to try and counter any inate moan or grown that I may have about the Island, without first understanding both sides. Roads are a continual trigger, alongside the weather.

Are the complaints about the DOI and the roads deserved - or just cognitive bias? I mean, is the Island's approach to road design and maintenance far worse than everywhere else? By that, I mean - far worse - in a measurable, evidential way? (not, they're just shit and they must be better everywhere else). Or do we have instances of the Dunning-Kruger effect?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Max Power said:

It seems that a lot of the skills involved in maintaining our roads have been lost in the mists of time?

A slap, in the face of progress. A nod to devolution. Seems our past, not too long ago, was truly worthy of the tag, " the good old days".

The buildings of old for example, were, and are, far superior to those of the modern era. Considering the craftmenship and scale of the mighty cathedrals, banks, museums, town halls, etc, not to mention the vast array of housing, its hard to believe they could achieve such feats, with the supposed funds and workforce availabilties. Bit of a tangent but your comment got me thinking just how much of the old world, was actually better x

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, joeyconcrete said:

Are the complaints about the DOI and the roads deserved - or just cognitive bias? I mean, is the Island's approach to road design and maintenance far worse than everywhere else? By that, I mean - far worse - in a measurable, evidential way? (not, they're just shit and they must be better everywhere else). Or do we have instances of the Dunning-Kruger effect?

Dunning-Kruger is meaningless in this context. Do you see the major road to the only airport in a country effectively impeded for months on end anywhere else in the world due to both poor workmanship and poor management of the poor workmanship? Or the major commuter route into a country’s main business and finance centre impeded for 3 years anywhere else just so they can replace a road? You don’t need to be an arm chair expert to observe that it’s completely shit and embarrassing. 

• Like 2

My reference was to understand the limiting factor? Do people think we’re doing the best because it’s the only best they know? Island mentality 

What is the root cause? Lack of ability / not enough money / inadequate partners/ restrictive procurement. Unfortunate run of bad luck or a systematic failure? Lessons to be learnt.

Whether you go from top down or down up, where is it flawed and who’s letting who down?

Edited by joeyconcrete

1 hour ago, thesultanofsheight said:

It will hopefully do for Ray Harmer’s career what Castletown Square and the Sloc did for Phil Gawnes. By the time of the next election 70% of the IOM will be totally sick of what a monumental clusterfuck the prom has turned in to. 

Fuck me £30m just to fuck someone’s political careeer up. Is that what we have to pay now? 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Gizo said:

Fuck me £30m just to fuck someone’s political careeer up. Is that what we have to pay now? 

I wasn’t suggesting it’s a deliberate spend to get rid. But I’m sure Gawne thought re-doing Castletown Square in the run up to an election would be guaranteed to buy him votes. But the fact is they did such a shit job it cost him the election. Same will happen with the prom. By election time Harmer will be in the stocks and pelted with fruit daily for the shit job they will be delivering. Because that’s all they are capable of delivering. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Which will basically prove that the Department's political heads are nothing more than sacrificial pawns for the egos and incompetence of the Dept's hierachy. Entirely expendable in the march from cock up to cock up. And why not? Who's going to stop it?

I think this sums up just how our government works, or doesn't at times.

• Like 1

.In reality though, a stretch of road will just be single carriageway and at most will add 2 minutes to any trip south. Big deal.

It isn't 6 lanes of motorway being blocked off, it is the overtaking lane only.

Just tune into Classic FM and chill for about 120 seconds.

( or as most drivers will do, just leave home a few minutes earlier.)

32 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

.In reality though, a stretch of road will just be single carriageway and at most will add 2 minutes to any trip south. Big deal.

if that was all the inconvenience boiled down to they wouldn't have spent long thousands putting the overtaking lane in in the first place..................................................

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, WTF said:
42 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

if that was all the inconvenience boiled down to they wouldn't have spent long thousands putting the overtaking lane in in the first place..................................................

Well maybe they shouldn't have.

The whole point of the redesign was to make it safer with that fucking dangerous chicane ( where everyone had to filter in ) before the left hand corner at the top being removed and straightened out.

All they have done is allow cars to travel at 70 mph while passing cars doing 50mph ( the legal limit )

When I drove HGVs, I would be doing 40 ( plus a bit, cough) and still be overtaken by most cars, simply because I was in a truck and they felt they had to pass me.

On reaching Ballasalla, I would on their rear bumper. Crazy

Edited by dilligaf
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, WTF said:

Yes they should rip out all the dual lanes, maybe even take out all the tarmac Island wide (it encourages speeding) and narrow the roads a bit (it encourages overtaking) and then we could all get a horse and they’d have nothing to do anymore. 

10 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Yes they should rip out all the dual lanes, maybe even take out all the tarmac Island wide (it encourages speeding) and narrow the roads a bit (it encourages overtaking) and then we could all get a horse and they’d have nothing to do anymore. 

Both of them ?

There was FA wrong (IMHO) with the original Richmond Hill. £3M+ was spent allegedly to make it safer though IIRC it was no more dangerous than it is now. The old road certainly didn't disappear under a curtain of water when it rained. There's been nothing but trouble and revisit after revisit since the great overhaul.

Any previous "safety issues" could have been addressed by the imposition of a speed limit northbound, hey, just like they've had to put on the new "safer" road now.

It was just an excuse to burn money. Probably because we had an embarrassing excess of it. But they couldn't even make a good job of it under those circumstances.

Edited by Non-Believer