The Highways Looney at it again..

Manx Bean

12 hours ago, pongo said:

Let's be clear. The section of cycle route in question is between a housing estate and the schools.

And people are whining about an experiment in trying to make that safer.

I think the problem is that there is a better, safer route that could be easily developed. Experiments on main roads aren’t the best idea

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

I think the problem is that there is a better, safer route that could be easily developed. Experiments on main roads aren’t the best idea

Cycle lanes aren't really experiments om main roads though are they? they've been on roads around the world for decades. I can only assume there was the same uproar when the first traffic lights and islands appeared on the roads here.

2 hours ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

Cycle lanes aren't really experiments om main roads though are they? they've been on roads around the world for decades. I can only assume there was the same uproar when the first traffic lights and islands appeared on the roads here.

Only not experiments, when they are properly integrated and form part of a viable route. I just don't get this. Say it is for commuters coming out of Gardners lane. Anyone in their right mind would pootle through that estate, come out at the gate by the school and continue their journey past Strix, and land near Shoprite. So actually, my brilliant idea of refurbishing the railway line would actually be another waste of money, as there is a safer route already in play. 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Only not experiments, when they are properly integrated and form part of a viable route. I just don't get this. Say it is for commuters coming out of Gardners lane. Anyone in their right mind would pootle through that estate, come out at the gate by the school and continue their journey past Strix, and land near Shoprite. So actually, my brilliant idea of refurbishing the railway line would actually be another waste of money, as there is a safer route already in play. 

And there'll be another route as well, the Poyll Dhooie Road extension when Dandara finish developing the run back into Ramsey, north of and parallel to the old railway line?

My concern re the new traffic lane is that it's yet to be tried and tested during school term time. Lezayre Rd becomes massively busy during the 8 - 9 and 3 - 4 periods, far busier than anything experienced since the road reopened, with hundreds of extra cars and the extra school buses.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

properly integrated? viable route? It's a road into Ramsey and I would imagine that there was a bicycle on it long before there was ever  a car. It's safe as long as drivers drive responsibly or do you question their ability to do that?

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, lezayre said:

Cannot be bothered reading through all the comments but has anybody mentioned that probably less than 10% of the children that use the schools approach from that direction.

I think the counter argument to that would be that it is the side of the road with the higher flow of motorised commuting traffic into Ramsey when school starts.