Why is there no advertising on the horse trams anymore ?  i would have thought that that would have been an extra much needed income stream, if you look at some of the old pics of the horse trams, there was allways advertising on them .

Edited by LightBulb
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That’d be you then.

This is the only place in the world where REAL horse trams operate a REAL service IN THE STREET. Not to be confused with Disney style theme parks where nothing is allowed to go above walking pace

Now discussed in THREE threads at once

Posted Images

In the papers this week that the Motor Museum have fitted road wheels and tyres to a Horse Tram.

It would be interesting to know if a Horse could pull this tram on a flat road. Back in the prom re furbishing thread, I suggested road wheels and doing away with the tram tracks, maybe it would be possible?

If they patched up the Marine Drive, they could be run up there, with lovely silver mini buses to shuttle pax up there.

• Haha 2
4 hours ago, LightBulb said:

Why is there no advertising on the horse trams anymore ?  i would have thought that that would have been an extra much needed income stream, if you look at some of the old pics of the horse trams, there was allways advertising on them .

Most of the MGP banners seem to be promoting locate.im so thats IOMG adverts on IOMG banners at an IOMG marketed event. Maybe we don’t even have sponsors anymore and IOMG has to yet again pretend they are business people by paying to advertise their own services on their own advertising space. Most of the historic adverts on the trams were events at the Villa etc too if you look at the old photos. 

2 hours ago, Kopek said:

Back in the prom re furbishing thread, I suggested road wheels and doing away with the tram tracks, maybe it would be possible?

Might as well also fit an engine.

Better still - shut them down. They're not some important heritage thing. And the grim boarding houses where thousands of holiday makers once got on and off are long since closed.

I do agree with you Pongo. The majority of people would want to retain them in some form.. A compromise would be the best way to get then off the prom or off the centre of the road. Freewheeling on rubber, if the horses can pull them, might be a to get them out of the way without getting rid?

Marine Drive would be very 'scenic'.

I agree, they're not heritage, just a means of fleecing the Victorians of their holiday spends, same as now? We're quite good at that?

2 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Most of the MGP banners seem to be promoting locate.im so thats IOMG adverts on IOMG banners at an IOMG marketed event. Maybe we don’t even have sponsors anymore and IOMG has to yet again pretend they are business people by paying to advertise their own services on their own advertising space. Most of the historic adverts on the trams were events at the Villa etc too if you look at the old photos. 

Check out the illuminated advertising boards at the airport now. Much of the wealth management has gone - now replaced by IoMG announcements about biosphere status.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Howard said:

I think we should get rid of the horse trams. What point do they serve? Just walk or get a bus.

They're part of the manx cultural heritage.

If you don't understand that then maybe you should just keep shtum....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So were those laughing clowns that you put a penny in the slot to operate and the crane thingys you tried to grab a prize with.

Let's turn the old Shoprite into a penny arcade ( now a pound ) and bring back the glory days.

• Haha 2
44 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Check out the illuminated advertising boards at the airport now. Much of the wealth management has gone - now replaced by IoMG announcements about biosphere status.

Yes I’m with you. I have noticed that. We might as well get IOMG to put up a big sign at the airport that says “Welcome to the IOM, home of IOM government, if you want a job trying to attract businesses to the IOM, in IOM government, please call ..... “ 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Kopek said:

So were those laughing clowns that you put a penny in the slot to operate and the crane thingys you tried to grab a prize with.

Let's turn the old Shoprite into a penny arcade ( now a pound ) and bring back the glory days.

Don't be childish.

Say you were surveying the mean streets of M-town with £100 to give away to anyone who could give 10 facts about the IOM.

Strange but true "in the middle of the Irish Sea" wouldn't feature because lots of UK folks confuse it with the Isle of Wight.

IMHO this is my list:

#1 TT

#2 seedy little tax haven (cue Hamilton and his fucking jet)

#3 steam trains

#4 horse trams

#5 Lady Isabella

because that's what they see when the island gets a mention on tv....

• Like 1