How to be Manx (produce)

20 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Was there an official answer given?

There was indeed - it was a Written Answer for the August 'ghost' sitting of Tynwald that no one needs to turn up to and Mr Moorhouse entered quite a lot of distinctive questions.  There were actually two related ones (the first was whether producers were eligible for something called the Great Taste Awards - apparently tasting great has nothing to do with it).  Anyway:

The Food Matters Strategy uses the following assessment criteria (Table 1) to decide if the product falls into what is classified as a Manx product. A worked example is, if a cake manufacturer uses all Manx products with the exception of eggs the product would not be classed as Manx, as local eggs are readily available on island. The Food Matters Strategy does not take into account the price of purchasing, only if the ingredients used are Manx and are available on the island. The target is to use 100% local, where available.

And there's a flowchart to keep Mr Moorhouse happy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm pretty sure a quick Google could have answered that question for him. A bit like this one.............. 

The Hon. Member for Onchan (Mr Callister) to ask the Chairman of the Post Office –
What the costs are for sending a 100g Letter First Class and Second Class (if 
applicable) to: 
a) Isle of Man; 
b) Jersey;
c) Guernsey;
d) UK;
e) Republic of Ireland; and
f) Europe?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
3 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Thanks Roger. Wonder what the 'or ....' is on the flowchart.

"or do you know the right people"?  I presume there will be a more extensive document somewhere, but it wasn't linked.

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Haha did he really ask that in Tynwald? For fucks sake Rob, that is a pathetic question.

I actually checked, because I couldn't believe it, but there it is on pdf page 75 of the link I gave above.  As the answer concludes: "These prices are published both in the annual price guide and on our website".

It's worth pointing out that this sort of oral question might have a point in Tynwald, when you might have a follow-up observation or question that you want to publicise.  But to ask as a written question just looks silly.

• Like 3
13 hours ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

I'm pretty sure a quick Google could have answered that question for him. A bit like this one.............. 

The Hon. Member for Onchan (Mr Callister) to ask the Chairman of the Post Office –
What the costs are for sending a 100g Letter First Class and Second Class (if 
applicable) to: 
a) Isle of Man; 
b) Jersey;
c) Guernsey;
d) UK;
e) Republic of Ireland; and
f) Europe?

I seriously can't believe he asked that question, how lazy can you get. What a waste of time

I love how he asks for the price for both Jersey and Guernsey, just in case they were different. Still reading this site Rob? Any chance you could come on an explain your decision making process for asking this utterly inane question when 1 minute on the internet could have answered it for you? Please? 

29 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I love how he asks for the price for both Jersey and Guernsey, just in case they were different. Still reading this site Rob? Any chance you could come on an explain your decision making process for asking this utterly inane question when 1 minute on the internet could have answered it for you? Please? 

Just a thought... Was he asking the price an IOM business or consumer would have to pay or the cost price to IOM Post?

One is a stupid question you could answer for yourself by reading, the other might be going somewhere. (Might be going somewhere utterly pointless, but I'll give him the benefit of doubt for now)