Jump to content
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
dilligaf

Relay for life

Recommended Posts

32 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I always think that if all the many cancer charities pooled their resources they would achieve far more

Sad to see a thread I started , to praise the hard work and dedication of the many who walked for hours on end to raise funds and the hopes of thousands,  end up being ridiculed and empty headed posters doing their best to take away that hope

Cynical  t@@ts

They'd achieve more if they looked at other treatments, not just focus on the ones that actually don't work.

My Mother had dual therapy, this utterly destroyed her. There's so many other therapies out there that actually work, but if its not earning someone money some how its not looked at, that's the sad fact, not your thread. I've spoken with so many women who have suffer/suffered with oesophageal cancer and the treatments they've had and how its changed there life, some haven't cured them BUT its extended there life months and in some cases YEARS. If I'd known what I know now, I'd have moved heaven and earth to get my Mother that treatment instead, rather than watching her fade away and witness her take her last breath.

They need to look into more alternative therapies available and also open them up to a higher age bracket and not focus on pushing chemo/radio therapy.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My dad got diagnosed with mouth cancer three years ago. They wanted to operate immediately and take half his mouth and tongue away needing him to rely on a tube to feed for the rest of his life. 

He told them to stuff it and that he’d sort himself out rather than be subjected to that barbaric treatment.

Three years later he’s still here, no further issues and living fine thank you very much. He did his own research, changed his diet and lifestyle, took a number of supplements (still does) and swears by CBD drops under his tongue every day which he thinks got to the heart of the issue.

As an aside he was hounded by his doctor, the oncology department at the hospital and MacMillan as to why he wanted nothing to do with them. A cynic might say they can see a future where people are increasingly taking a different route once diagnosed, which is bad for business. Or they were genuinely concerned for his welfare. Probably a bit of both.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

My dad got diagnosed with mouth cancer three years ago. They wanted to operate immediately and take half his mouth and tongue away needing him to rely on a tube to feed for the rest of his life. 

He told them to stuff it and that he’d sort himself out rather than be subjected to that barbaric treatment.

Three years later he’s still here, no further issues and living fine thank you very much. He did his own research, changed his diet and lifestyle, took a number of supplements (still does) and swears by CBD drops under his tongue every day which he thinks got to the heart of the issue.

As an aside he was hounded by his doctor, the oncology department at the hospital and MacMillan as to why he wanted nothing to do with them. A cynic might say they can see a future where people are increasingly taking a different route once diagnosed, which is bad for business. Or they were genuinely concerned for his welfare. Probably a bit of both.

See, we were advised AGAINST using anything cannabis based. Now I've looked into CBD is actually helping, yet they won't even entertain the notion of actually looking into. If I knew what I know now, I would've done what your Father did and told my Mother "fuck them, this stuff works".

The reason I've seen is why they won't use CBD, is because its mostly free and its something you can "grow" and do yourself........no one makes money out of it.

Hats off to your Father for doing what he's doing and looking into alternatives :thumbsup: 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dilligaf said:

I always think that if all the many cancer charities pooled their resources they would achieve far more

Sad to see a thread I started , to praise the hard work and dedication of the many who walked for hours on end to raise funds and the hopes of thousands,  end up being ridiculed and empty headed posters doing their best to take away that hope

Cynical  t@@ts

How is it being ridiculed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Knoxville , A dear friend of mine was diagnosed with throat cancer (aged 80) and was told there was no treatment  and he  " had  a year" , he demanded they treat him and sad to say 2 weeks later he died ....... if I'd have known I would have persuaded him not to have the treatment so don't beat yourself up IMO :flowers:

My old mum  made 90 and was not offered treatment but the Macmillan folk kept upping her painkillers until she didn't know whether it was Tuesday or a banana , I managed to reduce her meds with approval of her GP and I "had her back" for the last few months .

That said my daughter in law  died from ovarian cancer (at 35) ,across and I have to say that the Marie Curie  nursing folk were brilliant  .

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Knoxville said:

See, we were advised AGAINST using anything cannabis based. Now I've looked into CBD is actually helping, yet they won't even entertain the notion of actually looking into. If I knew what I know now, I would've done what your Father did and told my Mother "fuck them, this stuff works".

The reason I've seen is why they won't use CBD, is because its mostly free and its something you can "grow" and do yourself........no one makes money out of it.

Hats off to your Father for doing what he's doing and looking into alternatives :thumbsup: 

Give him his due he saw it coming. He was a smoker and drinker and knew he was a ticking cancer timebomb so he'd already done his research so knew what to do when the call came. I did point out it might be worth changing his lifestyle and diet ahead of the game and start on a new regimen so it doesn't get to that stage but he is a stubborn old bugger who liked a pint and a smoke so he'd carry on regardless but with a back up plan. He's a bright bloke but equally stupid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry but you are all talking bollocks...

My cousin is a Doctor working on behalf of Cancer Research and her own mother was diagnosed with cancer and ultimately passed away.  Now what bullshit reason can you think of that a medical profession researching cancer cures would let their own mother die if there was a cure available?  Given how common cancer appears to be these days my cousin will not be the only one in that situation.  

The reality is cancer is a bitch of a disease that comes in so many different forms and the same treatment cannot be used for every type. 

I have every sympathy for those who are suffering from cancer and the treatments that we have available now can also be brutal.  I can understand why some people will reject treatment and seek alternatives to preserve a certainly quality of life but lets not get carried away with claiming that there are cures available but somehow are being kept under lock and key.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Sorry but you are all talking bollocks...

My cousin is a Doctor working on behalf of Cancer Research and her own mother was diagnosed with cancer and ultimately passed away.  Now what bullshit reason can you think of that a medical profession researching cancer cures would let their own mother die if there was a cure available?  Given how common cancer appears to be these days my cousin will not be the only one in that situation.  

The reality is cancer is a bitch of a disease that comes in so many different forms and the same treatment cannot be used for every type. 

I have every sympathy for those who are suffering from cancer and the treatments that we have available now can also be brutal.  I can understand why some people will reject treatment and seek alternatives to preserve a certainly quality of life but lets not get carried away with claiming that there are cures available but somehow are being kept under lock and key.

My sympathies go out to your cousin but if you get down from your high horse for a minute you’ll see this is just a discussion about the horrible disease.

It comes in all shapes and sizes therefore there are a myriad of treatment options to potentially consider. All of which play their own part in either boosting the immune system, stopping cancer progression and/or targeting the cancer cells themselves, depending on what the diagnosis is.

Everyone should educate themselves and make their own decisions. No-one is advocating any different. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All these posts just reinforce what I said about the hope people have

Shamefull

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just under a year ago I was diagnosed with blood cancer. Leukaemia. The type I was diagnosed with had an average diagnosis to death interval of less than a month, 40 years ago.

Research by Cancer Charities, universities and research departments in hospitals have developed two alternative treatment protocols. One, involving idarubicin, is the European standard, and has a 90%+ remission rate at 12 months and a cure rate 80%+ at 10 years, the other, more recent, and still in trial in the UK, involving Arsenic, has a 95% 12 month remission rate and a 90%+ 10 year cure rate.

I was lucky to be put on the arsenic trial. I did a gruelling 9 months of chemo.

Of course some people spontaneously recover, others find relief through diet, or cannabis products.

Others need invasive surgery, or chemo and radio therapy to have any chance.

Ive pondered about the benefits of cancer charities combining. I’m not so sure. Ive had little Support because the type of Leukaemia I developed only affects 120 people a year in the UK, maybe one every 7 or 8  years here. There isn’t a specific charity.

I visited McMillan, nice chat and cuppa, Manx Cancer Help, at the Lisa Lowe Centre, wanted to show me their multi million plans for a counselling centre, but not really much else, The Manx Breast Cancer Support group have been most help, producing leaflets on the patient transfer system, funding quiet waiting rooms at Speke and Ronaldsway, for all patients. They’ve also just funded equipment and training for one of the Oncology Day Centre nurses to fit PICC lines so that they don’t have to be cannulated daily for bloods and chemo infusion. Not just for breast cancer, but for all cancer patients. The Hospice physio were worse than Nobles, and they’re useless. UK Lymphoma Support have a quarterly meeting, and open their meetings to other patients and others affected by any Leukaemia, but having thought about it I felt uncomfortable going to meetings where people were facing a much bleaker future than me.

So I did it on my own.

Would I have been any better served by attending bowel cancer, or other specific cancer groups, etc? 

What did concern me was that some of these charities do have high paid workers and seem to have lost the volunteer ethos. I’m aware that big charities, operating many, complex, services, do need paid managers and personnel. That today you’re competing with other third sector, private and public providers through tendering processes, to keep your function.

I think local support groups, specific to specific disease, are probably going to better support fellow patients through shared experience. 

But Manx Cancer Help have really delivered something for everyone, hats off to them.

As for research, I think bigger organisations, but with specific focus, have improved things so much and delivered real improvement in treatment and cure.

Edited by John Wright
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Just under a year ago I was diagnosed with blood cancer. Leukaemia. The type I was diagnosed with had an average diagnosis to death interval of less than a month, 40 years ago.

Research by Cancer Charities, universities and research departments in hospitals have developed two alternative treatment protocols. One, involving idarubicin, is the European standard, and has a 90%+ remission rate at 12 months and a cure rate 80%+ at 10 years, the other, more recent, and still in trial in the UK, involving Arsenic, has a 95% 12 month remission rate and a 90%+ 10 year cure rate.

I was lucky to be put on the arsenic trial. I did a gruelling 9 months of chemo.

 

You should have done your own research John rather than relying on the professionals. Few drops of cannabis oil and some raw vegetables and you’d have avoided the gruelling chemo, while denting the profits of big pharma :rolleyes:

What was so bad about the physiotherapy?

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, finlo said:

Serious question, is all cancer research funded by bucket rattlers?

No. It’ll have multiple sources - medical research council (government), pharmaceutical companies, universities, as well as charities. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, wrighty said:

No. It’ll have multiple sources - medical research council (government), pharmaceutical companies, universities, as well as charities. 

Serious Wong then, it would be interesting to know how much has been "invested" to date.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lxxx said:

My sympathies go out to your cousin but if you get down from your high horse for a minute you’ll see this is just a discussion about the horrible disease.

It comes in all shapes and sizes therefore there are a myriad of treatment options to potentially consider. All of which play their own part in either boosting the immune system, stopping cancer progression and/or targeting the cancer cells themselves, depending on what the diagnosis is.

Everyone should educate themselves and make their own decisions. No-one is advocating any different. 

The below posts are not discussing the disease or even alternative treatments they are putting forward a conspiracy theory that "big pharma" have a cure but won't share it.  I have every sympathy for everyone who has lost a friend or family member to cancer but I fail to see how spreading or even suggesting this nonsense helps anyone.  It's as bad as anti-vacine conspiracy theories. 

On 8/28/2018 at 1:12 PM, Knoxville said:

Cure is here but the cancer business is worth so much it'll never be shared :angry:

I watched my mum just slip away, I really wish I'd done as much research as I do now about it.

 

On 8/28/2018 at 2:16 PM, Lxxx said:

Quite. There ain't no money in curing people.

 

9 hours ago, Knoxville said:

Its quite sad really, read all sorts....population control, as you've said no money in curing sick people.

Its some of the charities that really annoy me, claiming they're doing research, when in fact they're just blinding people with bull shit.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...