Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Neil Down

Biased Broadcasting Corporation

1 hour ago, Neil Down said:

For somebody as thick as you, it’s difficult for you to comprehend.

Yes it really is. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and let you explain exactly what bias you imagine the BBC is showing in this film? I've watched it through a few times now and I just can't see anything which might be thus described. 

The things that I saw in the film were heartfelt reflections on why the traditional British Asian culture discouraged kids' participation in sports such as football and pushed them towards medicine and law instead. A culture which is now changing, and combined with a dramatic decrease in abusive racism in football is leading to a much greater uptake of football amongst the British Asian community. So when, bearing that in mind, might we see more representation at an international level? Quite a nice, positive film really. Only an inherent racism could distort it into something else. 

• Like 1

As you said, you’re too stupid so simply put, the BBC are biased towards so called minority groups. If these lads we’re good enough then they would be picked. In their own words, why should they bother. This is what the BBC perceive to be excluding them from selection 

Dear me. In the UK all the best athletes go into football because that's where the money, glamour, loose women etc etc are.

In the sub-continent all the best athletes go into cricket.....

British asians are the largest UK minorìty so as a thank you for paying the licence fee the Beeb is running "The Great British Asian Bake Off" or some such:

"The Big British Asian Summer is a season of statement films and celebratory programmes from across the BBC exploring the cultural, social and familial impact of these two regions of the world coming together."

Bias? You're having a laugh....

40 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

If these lads we’re good enough then they would be picked. 

That is the point they and the BBC were making. What a dumb thread. 

10 hours ago, The Phat Tog said:

I expect the Beeboids were hoping to find some sort of racist slant to this but the reason you don't see many young Indians, Bangladeshis or Pakistanis involved in football is very simple: Cricket.

However, despite a third of club cricketers being of Asian heritage, only 4% of county cricketers are. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/voices/english-cricket-south-asian-community-wasim-khan-ecb-pakistan-india-a8344591.html%3famp

8 hours ago, La Colombe said:

That is the point they and the BBC were making. What a dumb thread. 

Idiot, that was not the point BBC were making at all. They were shit stirring as usual. Bit like you but on a grander scale

1 hour ago, Declan said:

However, despite a third of club cricketers being of Asian heritage, only 4% of county cricketers are. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/voices/english-cricket-south-asian-community-wasim-khan-ecb-pakistan-india-a8344591.html%3famp

So broadly in line with the demographics then.

26 minutes ago, P.K. said:

So broadly in line with the demographics then.

But not broadly in line with Cricket playing demographics. If the popularity of cricket is, as you suggested, an explanation for the lower than expected number of professional footballers of sub-continent heritage, you would expect a corresponding above demographic representation in Cricket. 

It seems more likely that there are other factors at play. It may be community pressure to go the academic root. Or that the traditional scouting and routes into county cricket don't include the teams the Asian players are playing for. 

Demographics has nothing to do with it. If it did then only 3% of British professional footballers and athletes would be Afro-Caribbean and there wouldn’t be any Pacific Islanders playing rugby for England, Wales, etc. It has more to do with culture than ability. Afro-Caribbeans eat more fruit and veg than the general population and exercise well. British South Asians exercise less than the general population and many are vegetarian. There have been very successful East Asian players in the premiership - notably from Korea and Japan, where there are professional leagues and healthy food, exercise and sports cultures. There might be a case to be made for genetic make-up, but at least as far as games are concerned I think it’s that South Asians prefer cricket. 

5 minutes ago, Freggyragh said:

Demographics has nothing to do with it. If it did then only 3% of British professional footballers and athletes would be Afro-Caribbean and there wouldn’t be any Pacific Islanders playing rugby for England, Wales, etc. It has more to do with culture than ability. Afro-Caribbeans eat more fruit and veg than the general population and exercise well. British South Asians exercise less than the general population and many are vegetarian. There have been very successful East Asian players in the premiership - notably from Korea and Japan, where there are professional leagues and healthy food, exercise and sports cultures. There might be a case to be made for genetic make-up, but at least as far as games are concerned I think it’s that South Asians prefer cricket. 

Persanally I think it's a mixture of demographics and culture where cricket is concerned.

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

Persanally I think it's a mixture of demographics and culture where cricket is concerned.

You're talking through your ass. 

• Haha 2

Well, there's been little doubt for a long time that the Beeb were just the state propaganda arm, so I opened this expecting more of the same, or even an article pointing it out. I didn't expect an article on sport, nor a daily mail-esque type comment from the OP. :ermm:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fatshaft said:

I didn't expect an article on sport, nor a daily mail-esque type comment from the OP. :ermm:

As racist rants go, this one is up there with the most bizarre.