Restricting competition

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=42485&headline=Plans%20submitted%20to%20turn%20the%20Liverpool%20Arms%20into%20a%20private%20dwelling&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2018&action=added

According to their planning application, lack of interest in the property is the reason for turning it into a house. Why not remove the covenant off the building and see if anybody is interested in buying it as a business. It always did well when the two guys had it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If they are so confident it can't be run as a pub then they shouldn't have to put a covenant on it ? 100+years ago it was common place to put such a covenant on any residential building, so that

The brewery outright refuse to see someone else do it well.

Time that Tynwald legislated against H&B acting against the public interest in such a manner. Is there a single MHK with the balls to sponsor such legislation though?

Posted Images

If they are so confident it can't be run as a pub then they shouldn't have to put a covenant on it ?

100+years ago it was common place to put such a covenant on any residential building, so that the tone of an area wouldn't be lowered, but for a brewery to put such a covenant on one of their own pubs just strikes me that they are afraid of someone opening it as a pub and showing the brewery as perhaps incompetent.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 7
4 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

The brewery outright refuse to see someone else do it well.

It would be interesting to see if a covenant can be removed - Calling John Wright...

Good question.

Restrictive covenants are usually to benefit other landowners. This covenants 'benefits' who exactly? 

My knowledge of covenants in title deeds depends on how well you/your advocate knows the deemster [insert 'wink wink' emoticon here]. At the end of the day Manx Law is very er, manx.

• Thanks 1

Is there anyone out there who knows how long that building has been used as licensed premises?

Mollag.... any idea? 

Edit: BTW... I think H&B are a load of toads when it comes to running pubs.

Edited by Andy Onchan
  • Like 1
27 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Why are you replying to my posts?

It was an adendum to your comment not a reply. Are you that insecure?

More to the point, why are you commenting on my topic?

Edited by Neil Down
4 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I'm not the one who put someone on ignore to run away from having to engage in a conversation.

Conversation... interesting word

I'm still open to hearing how you think a park and ride service could actually work on the Isle of Man. Or you could just carry on with your snarky comments and fail to take part in an actual discussion on a discussion forum.

17 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I'm still open to hearing how you think a park and ride service could actually work on the Isle of Man. Or you could just carry on with your snarky comments and fail to take part in an actual discussion on a discussion forum.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you missed the post that said it all. JW posted his suggestion on the topic that set out how it would work. I couldn't find fault with that nor add to it. What would you like me to do, copy and paste his post.

It had nothing to do with how anything would work more to do with you trying (and failing) to be clever. Now read his post and come back and ask any relevant questions that you think I might be able to expand on...