Restricting competition

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If they are so confident it can't be run as a pub then they shouldn't have to put a covenant on it ? 100+years ago it was common place to put such a covenant on any residential building, so that

The brewery outright refuse to see someone else do it well.

Time that Tynwald legislated against H&B acting against the public interest in such a manner. Is there a single MHK with the balls to sponsor such legislation though?

Posted Images

I would not choose to live in this building I am sure there are better places about for the money the site is worth.   There would be constant road noise from the front and if you like a garden the car park would need a lot of work on it.    It may suit another business like a cafe but if the kitchen is not up to spark, as is claimed, more expense there. Perhaps an antique shop ?   I think it is petty putting a covenant on unless they think the HR would make a smart bistro out of it.

2 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Is there anyone out there who knows how long that building has been used as licensed premises?

Mollag.... any idea? 

Edit: BTW... I think H&B are a load of toads when it comes to running pubs.

According to my copy of 'Manx Inns - A pub crawl through history'

IMG_0127.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
4 hours ago, gettafa said:

If they are so confident it can't be run as a pub then they shouldn't have to put a covenant on it ?

100+years ago it was common place to put such a covenant on any residential building, so that the tone of an area wouldn't be lowered, but for a brewery to put such a covenant on one of their own pubs just strikes me that they are afraid of someone opening it as a pub and showing the brewery as perhaps incompetent.

Common practice in the recent past for H&B. In Ramsey alone they were stung by the Commercial and Trafalgar in particular, being bought out and becoming popular free houses - considerably undercutting the Brewery, in some cases selling Brewery supplied products for considerably less than Brewery houses.

The Royal Britannia (by the tram station, for furriners) has a similar covenant on it, I believe - and has remained closed, unsold and decaying for 4.5 years.

They fear losing their monopoly that they hold regardless of their competence.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

The Royal Britannia (by the tram station, for furriners) has a similar covenant on it, I believe - and has remained closed, unsold and decaying for 4.5 years.

Similar situation with The Ship in Castletown, although I think that has now been sold.

That’s the point, anyone can apply for a licence. They do, they get awarded. There are lots of new licences for independent bars and pubs over the last few years, increasing the offering.

Ive no idea why the Liverpool Arms failed. It wasn’t the brewery that ran it into the ground. It’s been tenanted for years, had its ups and downs. The last tenants left owing rent and for beer, according to the article.

Its common practice to impose covenants restricting competing trade in England. No reason why it shouldn’t be the same here. There was a time when the brewery didn’t do that. In the after events of the merger between Okells and Castletown, when premises were sold.

The Island has been massively overstocked with pubs. Drinking habits have changed. It’s sad to see places go. But new places spring up all the time, offering alternatives. It’s healthy.

52 minutes ago, John Wright said:

That’s the point, anyone can apply for a licence. They do, they get awarded. There are lots of new licences for independent bars and pubs over the last few years, increasing the offering.

Ive no idea why the Liverpool Arms failed. It wasn’t the brewery that ran it into the ground. It’s been tenanted for years, had its ups and downs. The last tenants left owing rent and for beer, according to the article.

Its common practice to impose covenants restricting competing trade in England. No reason why it shouldn’t be the same here. There was a time when the brewery didn’t do that. In the after events of the merger between Okells and Castletown, when premises were sold.

The Island has been massively overstocked with pubs. Drinking habits have changed. It’s sad to see places go. But new places spring up all the time, offering alternatives. It’s healthy.

Can a covenant be lifted John?

36 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Can a covenant be lifted John?

The person or company with the right to enforce can release, modify or discharge.

The Court can also, in limited circumstances, if the “owner” of the covenant can’t be found, or if the rights the covenant was imposed to protect are no longer relevant.

But it would be on notice to the brewery, and there’d be no chance in the early years after it was entered into.

1 hour ago, Howard said:

I think it's sickening. Surely the Government should be bringing in anti-trust laws to put a stop to such covenants?

The purchaser who agreed to enter into the covenant on buying does so with their eyes open, of their own free will. They don’t have to buy that property. Don’t understand why you think this is a matter for anti trust.