Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Howard

Bus Vannin ends return journey tickets

What do you make of the bus company ending the return journey option, effective 31st August?

The return fare allowed for a discount. It wasn't a big discount but it soon adds up for people on low incomes. I thought Government policy was to encourage less people to use cars, more people to use public transport (or cycle). I know they have those cards but that's not going to be much use to infrequent bus users (like me) or pensioners who are paying during the peak times. Also, a lot of people I have spoken with have voiced suspicion about the number of fares on their card going down more than it should. I wonder what the reason is for it. Another problem is keeping track of how many fares you have left on the card. At least with change in your pocket, you know if you have enough to get on a bus. It's Russian Roulette whether your card still has a fare left on it, if you're not a frequent bus user. The return fare was actually handy if you had a tenner or fiver and no change as it meant the driver wouldn't have to give you as much change back. This will surely mean people now having to buy two tickets, use up more paper and bus drivers' time. Would be interesting to hear how much money they think this will save. 

If anybody in any replies uses the term "bus wanker" in this thread, they are officially confirming that they enjoy receiving bumsex.

They are trying to get customers to buy the go cards which will thereabouts have about the same discount on them as return tickets anyway, although you have to buy either 6 journeys or 12 when you buy a go card, but it’s valid on them for 15 months and whether you’re not a regular Bus user, it works out. Looks like they are trying to phase out money altogether and get people using go cards or contactless like they do in London for example. 

Moorhouse was being somewhat disingenuous when he stated:

"It is great to see another fare freeze for 2018, which means we have not seen a full fare increase on our buses since April 2013."

because he forgot to say:

"Apart from eg your £2.40 return fare will be going up to £2.60" or similar.

The big difference between Go cards and TFL Oyster cards is that iirc the credit stays on Oyster cards indefinitely.

8 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Moorhouse was being somewhat disingenuous when.....

They're getting these newbies trained well, aren't they....?

• Like 1

Howard. When you use a go card a ticket gets printed and on it is now many rides you have left. I have a concession pass but keep  a go card for visitors from across. Contactless is not used much yet but I did see a young lad use an app on his smart phone to pay for his ticket, took ages but it did work.

There seemed little wrong with the way the fares were running. Just another faceless bureaucrat trying to reinvent the wheel

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

There seemed little wrong with the way the fares were running. Just another faceless bureaucrat trying to reinvent the wheel while thinking of their pension.....

Fixed!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, P.K. said:

Moorhouse was being somewhat disingenuous when he stated:

"It is great to see another fare freeze for 2018, which means we have not seen a full fare increase on our buses since April 2013."

because he forgot to say:

"Apart from eg your £2.40 return fare will be going up to £2.60" or similar.

The big difference between Go cards and TFL Oyster cards is that iirc the credit stays on Oyster cards indefinitely.

"disingenuous" or perhaps just dishonest perhaps.

Spot on about the "Oyster cards " in London , still it allows the the Gov to 'stripe' the tourists on a return visit to the island, a bit like MT who told me that as I hadn't used my phone for 3 months I lost the number and they collected the balance :angry:....... (O2 's balance on pay as you go remains indefinitely ).

I read all the bullshit on IOM Today... disingenuous seems the correct description, as for Moorhouse I voted for him reckoning he would have an independent mind ! I was wrong !!

• Like 1

Which bit did you get wrong?

That he’d be independent?

That he had a mind?

The first you couldn’t have predicted, the second was a known fact.

27 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I voted for him because he wasn't gawne or cregeen. 

But Hobson.

4 hours ago, Chris Jericho said:

They are trying to get customers to buy the go cards which will thereabouts have about the same discount on them as return tickets anyway, although you have to buy either 6 journeys or 12 when you buy a go card, but it’s valid on them for 15 months and whether you’re not a regular Bus user, it works out. Looks like they are trying to phase out money altogether and get people using go cards or contactless like they do in London for example. 

We're  not in khans Londonistan,thank fuck.

I didn’t know about the 15 month expiration date on the Go card Although an infrequent bus user I find it useful to have one in my wallet for the odd time I use the bus.

Im sure this was not brought to my attention when I purchased my card and I have a number of journeys left which I imagine will be lost upon expiration which I think must be approaching.

Is there a facility to “cash in” my card? . I could then rebuy my journeys with a new starting date.

It doesn’t seem right, albeit that it may be in the T & C’s, that they can just take away something you have paid for.

It is stealing.

Edited by The Voice of Reason
  • Like 4