Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Howard

Bus Vannin ends return journey tickets

17 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I didn’t know about the 15 month expiration date on the Go card Although an infrequent bus user I find it useful to have one in my wallet for the odd time I use the bus.

Im sure this was not brought to my attention when I purchased my card and I have a number of journeys left which I imagine will be lost upon expiration.

Is there a facility to “cash in” my card? . I could then rebuy my journeys with a new starting date.

It doesn’t seem right, albeit that it may be in the T & C’s, that they can just take away something you have paid for.

It is stealing.

Not a chance, a bit like the refusal to issue 6 monthly tax discs for motorbikes and motorhome etc.

3 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I didn’t know about the 15 month expiration date on the Go card Although an infrequent bus user I find it useful to have one in my wallet for the odd time I use the bus.

Im sure this was not brought to my attention when I purchased my card and I have a number of journeys left which I imagine will be lost upon expiration which I think must be approaching.

Is there a facility to “cash in” my card? . I could then rebuy my journeys with a new starting date.

It doesn’t seem right, albeit that it may be in the T & C’s, that they can just take away something you have paid for.

It is stealing.

More than likely this is just the way bus vannin likes it. Nothing new really. When you buy somebody a gift voucher, check the T&C's as some of these have an expiry date

2 minutes ago, finlo said:

Not a chance, a bit like the refusal to issue 6 monthly tax discs for motorbikes and motorhome etc.

it's not the same though is it. I have a boat that I have to pay 12 months slipway fees for even though I don't use the slipways all the time. You buy your vehicle be it a boat/motorhome/bike and pay the relevant fees.

18 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

it's not the same though is it. I have a boat that I have to pay 12 months slipway fees for even though I don't use the slipways all the time. You buy your vehicle be it a boat/motorhome/bike and pay the relevant fees.

In the UK you don't have to keep all your vehicles taxed year round,  e.g. a bike that spends all winter garaged for example.

3 minutes ago, finlo said:

In the UK you don't have to keep all your vehicles taxed year round,  e.g. a bike that spends all winter garaged for example.

Unfortunately it's part and parcel of the costs involved in owning something. Not saying it's right but it is what it is. In the UK they have number plate recognition (ANPR) so anybody taking the mick by using their vehicle would soon be picked up. Apart from the odd time plod goes out and do vehicle checks, does the IOM have ANPR

SORN ( Statutory Not on Road ) and no physical tax disc are a good idea, but they rely on ANPR.

42 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Im sure this was not brought to my attention when I purchased my card and I have a number of journeys left which I imagine will be lost upon expiration which I think must be approaching.

It is stealing.

Isn’t that what happens with pre paid minutes or data on phones?

Just now, John Wright said:

Yes with MT ......no with O2

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, John Wright said:

An extremely "sharp" and very annoying practice.

If you bought a tv you didn't switch on for three months you wouldn't expect the vendor to call round to take it back....

8 minutes ago, paswt said:

Yes with MT ......no with O2

But then you end up with thousands of minutes and hundreds of bytes you are never going to use.

It’s no different to book tokens and gift vouchers, or refund vouchers, or Tesco Club Card points, They have an expiration date.

There are good reasons from an accountancy point of view to stop having an outstanding debit balance to carry forward to infinity.

5 minutes ago, John Wright said:

But then you end up with thousands of minutes and hundreds of bytes you are never going to use.

Surely the thing is John if they needed to recycle the numbers then fair enough.

But as the island would need to issue more than 999,999 SIM cards, some 12 x the population to make it an issue, then it's obviously just a scam to cream off what they owe.

Just now, P.K. said:

Surely the thing is John if they needed to recycle the numbers then fair enough.

But as the island would need to issue more than 999,999 SIM cards, some 12 x the population to make it an issue, then it's obviously just a scam to cream off what they owe.

That’s not the point I’m making. No reason why they can’t bill the fixed amount in advance in month 1 and then thhhnnne amount to top up what  you used in the previous month in every subsequent month

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

That’s not the point I’m making. No reason why they can’t bill the fixed amount in advance in month 1 and then thhhnnne amount to top up what  you used in the previous month in every subsequent month

The issue is, say, topping a PAYG up to £50 or whatever for emergencies and they recycle the number and nick your fifty quid because you haven't had an emergency for 3 months.

Out of order.

• Like 2