Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Howard

Bus Vannin ends return journey tickets

Just now, Howard said:

Yes, all payments will now be electronic.

So if I get on a bus the drver will now refuse real money?

Don't think so.

I thought we were talking about the cards? Anyway, it's obvious cash payments are being phased out and people will now need to use the cards in order to make use of any sort of discount. Also, you're being recorded on CCTV paying the cash, and a computer at the time of purchase is documenting your requested journey, all of which is recorded in live-time, so it's not exactly electronic-free. You can't escape the prying eyes of the state.

• Like 1

Now that they take contactless cards it takes the fun out of travelling. My usual trick of handing over a £20 note to the driver for a one-way Onchan to Douglas fare generally makes for an amusing scene:

Driver: Haven't you got anything less?

Me: Nope, sorry. 

Driver: (Harrumph, Corkish style) But I'll have to give you loads of shrapnel.

Me: No problem. I'll use it for the Douglas car parks next time I use the car to go into town!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, paswt said:

That is exactly what happened to me with MT , over £40 if memory serves .

Don't remember being told when I bought the card , funny old world :angry:  but then again MT's customer care stinks IMO

Service is much improved if you go into their shop and put your name in the name/now serving-number machine as 'Mr Waiting Ages', or 'Mr 3 weeks and you still haven't fixed my bloody internet'.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, paswt said:

That is exactly what happened to me with MT , over £40 if memory serves .

Don't remember being told when I bought the card , funny old world :angry:  but then again MT's customer care stinks IMO

Yes soon poor bus users will be priced out of using the bus. Presented with a choice of spending £40 to top up their bus card or £40 on food. Debts to the state will have to come first to keep those wages and pensions going. Soon it will be like the food banks setting up where we will have charity bus services set up for the people who can no longer afford to use a bus. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Now that they take contactless cards it takes the fun out of travelling. My usual trick of handing over a £20 note to the driver for a one-way Onchan to Douglas fare generally makes for an amusing scene:

Me: No problem. I'll use it for the Douglas car parks next time I use the car to go into town!

I handed a £20 note and the driver gave me a credit note receipt with the change on it and I had to collect the change from the welcome centre. Won’t be doing that again. 

Just now, Chris Jericho said:

I handed a £20 note and the driver gave me a credit note receipt with the change on it and I had to collect the change from the welcome centre. Won’t be doing that again. 

Yes. I've experienced that with a tenner. Wouldn't even give me change later in the journey when he'd had more passengers and money through.

23 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

35 minutes ago, Chris Jericho said:

33 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Yes. I've experienced that with a tenner. Wouldn't even give me change later in the journey when he'd had more passengers and money through.

It's almost as though they're trying to tell you something.

What could it be...?

23 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Service is much improved if you go into their shop and put your name in the name/now serving-number machine as 'Mr Waiting Ages', or 'Mr 3 weeks and you still haven't fixed my bloody internet'.

I did almost the same ‘put your number in and we will text when available’ I was told. I did, sat around for ages, finally got seen, ‘we sent you several texts’ they say, simple answer is ‘yeah, my phone doesn’t work, that’s why I’m here.’

• Haha 1

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 5:09 PM, John Wright said:

Isn’t that what happens with pre paid minutes or data on phones?

No, because you are buying a right to use the phone service for a month with the phones. Like if you join a gym and don't visit for a month.If you pay for a monthly pass and only use the bus on the first day you aren't due a rebate because you bought one thing - a bus pass for a month and used that thing.

But if you buy 12 things - 12 bus tickets and use 8 you've still got 4 left to use. The imposition of an arbitrary time limit is wrong.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Linz said:

Yes soon poor bus users will be priced out of using the bus. Presented with a choice of spending £40 to top up their bus card or £40 on food. Debts to the state will have to come first to keep those wages and pensions going. Soon it will be like the food banks setting up where we will have charity bus services set up for the people who can no longer afford to use a bus. 

Who's paying £40 to top up their bus card?

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 9:24 AM, Howard said:

Yes, all payments will now be electronic.

Horseshit.

https://www.gov.im/categories/travel-traffic-and-motoring/bus-and-rail/news/?altTemplate=ViewCategorisedNews&id=86848

Passengers will be able to purchase point-to-point single tickets on board through contactless payments or cash