Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Howard

Bus Vannin ends return journey tickets

I don't understand why they didn't just go with a single card, top it up online or at a machine and get 25% off the standard fare, tell the driver where you are going and you get a little ticket which shows how much your fare should be, how much it actually cost and how much credit you have left. Simple and easy instead of the 10 or so different options. If you get two buses to work you need two separate cards. You can't buy a 5 day card at 7am on a Monday morning from the bus driver either, which is fucking stupid.

• Like 2

Quite.  I sometimes use the bus for the pub.  I need one colour go card for one way, another for the other, and if I want a pizza down south, another.  

I only bother with a Go Explore for TT, if it was just one card, loaded with credit that never really expires, and just takes the cost of what ever journey you are doing, at what ever the cost is at the time, for how ever many people you want to pay for and gave you a ticket showing what you had left on it - much better.  But doesn’t that make it just like cash, with more twiddly bits and operating expenses?

There's still the question how reliable their fair counting software is. I know people who think their "fares remaining" number is dropping faster than how many times they've used the bus.

6 hours ago, Declan said:

Who's paying £40 to top up their bus card?

It's at least £30 every week between Ramsey and Douglas.

8 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Yes. I've experienced that with a tenner.

I've experienced it with a fiver.

47 minutes ago, Howard said:

It's at least £30 every week between Ramsey and Douglas.

It's £23 for a 7 day or £19 for  a 5 day GO Saver ticket. 

18 minutes ago, Declan said:

Are they usable at peak hours?

10 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Yes. I've experienced that with a tenner. Wouldn't even give me change later in the journey when he'd had more passengers and money through.

You obviously didn't try hard enough :D!

5 hours ago, Declan said:

Sorry, I'm getting my figures mixed up. So it's still about £40 per fortnight.

12 hours ago, kevster said:

Are they usable at peak hours?

Yes. They're intended for the regular commuter. Only restriction is that Late Bus where you pay half fare (i.e. normal full fare since the night bus is double fare). 

7 hours ago, Howard said:

Sorry, I'm getting my figures mixed up. So it's still about £40 per fortnight.

Well if it were a penny return it would still be £40 a decade. 

On 9/4/2018 at 1:22 PM, TheTeapot said:

I don't understand why they didn't just go with a single card, top it up online or at a machine and get 25% off the standard fare, tell the driver where you are going and you get a little ticket which shows how much your fare should be, how much it actually cost and how much credit you have left. Simple and easy instead of the 10 or so different options. If you get two buses to work you need two separate cards. You can't buy a 5 day card at 7am on a Monday morning from the bus driver either, which is fucking stupid.

All eminently sensible instead of five different colour codes and all the rest of the nonsense. With such ease of use like the TFL system it would actually encourage people to use the service.

Proof,  if proof were ever needed, that government pencil-heads should NEVER be allowed to try and run a business. Because they just don't understand that KISS wins every time. Instead they apply their work ethos of making everything as complicated as they possibly can so they look clever and busy.

If you've ever spent a few minutes in the company of Mr Longworth, you will fully comprehend why the fare structure is a complete and utter buggers muddle..

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, P.K. said:

All eminently sensible instead of five different colour codes and all the rest of the nonsense. With such ease of use like the TFL system it would actually encourage people to use the service.

Proof,  if proof were ever needed, that government pencil-heads should NEVER be allowed to try and run a business. Because they just don't understand that KISS wins every time. Instead they apply their work ethos of making everything as complicated as they possibly can so they look clever and busy.

I've got four different Bus Vannin cards depending on which best suits my work and social schedule. But TFL I just use contactless on my phone, if I use the bus and tube enough to in a day or week to make a daily or weekly pass cheaper they automatically refund the difference.