Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Howard

Bus Vannin ends return journey tickets

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Having 4 different cards shows how stupid our system is.

And they've just taken on The Racket.....

• Like 1

On 9/2/2018 at 11:52 PM, Roger Mexico said:

If you look at the Terms and Conditions, it appears that:

So after a year (not 15 months) you lose both the £2 cost of the card and any balance you happen to have on it.  There's no facility for cashing in the card (either the basic price of balance) except for the school ones at the end of the academic year (and even then it's only the balance you get back and of course they're obliged to replace faulty ones.  Both these are unlike the Oyster system when they will refund on both cards and balance (though finding somewhere to do it may be the problem).

Thanks Roger for clearing that up. I will be using my GOv card at least once a year so it should not expire 15 months after purchase. 

That will teach me not to take everything posted on MF as gospel. Still I should have known that already!

• Like 1

On 9/6/2018 at 8:42 AM, TheTeapot said:

Having 4 different cards shows how stupid our system is.

It is very stupid. They were also months late bringing them out and even when they did they eventually failed to introduce some of the ones they originally advertised, such as the Manx Gaelic one.

On 9/6/2018 at 8:30 AM, Declan said:

But TFL I just use contactless on my phone, if I use the bus and tube enough to in a day or week to make a daily or weekly pass cheaper they automatically refund the difference. 

This isn't actually quite correct.  The weekly cap on contactless only works for weeks ending on a Sunday  So if you were visiting from (say) Friday to Thursday, you end up paying seven daily caps rather than one weekly one.  As the weekly cap is usually equivalent to five daily ones, you'd end up paying for two full days you didn't need to.  For example the Zone 1-3 weekly cap is £40 and the daily one £8 so relying on capping would cost an extra £16 unless you started on a Monday.  You're better putting a weekly Travelcard (which is the same price as the weekly cap) onto an Oystercard and using that, because that can start any day of the week.

Of course you might also wonder why Bus Vannin can't also adjust the price structure of Go cards so that regular users are encouraged to use the buses more, but that's another story.

• Sad 1

Logged into the Bus Mann app to check on timings for a journey tonight. No longer in use. It brought up an acidic disclaimer which reads like the app developer has been "shit on" by Bus Vannin.

Any info?

5 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Logged into the Bus Mann app to check on timings for a journey tonight. No longer in use. It brought up an acidic disclaimer which reads like the app developer has been "shit on" by Bus Vannin.

Any info?

It was in the papers about 12 months ago. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Any info?

Long story short - he’s not a happy happy. To be honest, even in it’s prime the app was shit

But nothing like as poor as the replacement, commercial zip trip app, which is counterintuitive and hard to use/understand.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John Wright said:

But nothing like as poor as the replacement, commercial zip trip app, which is counterintuitive and hard to use/understand.

No, no, no, ZipTrip  is brilliant.  I got lost in Palma last year, didn’t have a map and ZipTrip saved the day.  

Crap at finding a bus, what time it is due and where it goes in your home location, but abroad, to find the bar where you left your mates, it’s brill.

38 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

No, no, no, ZipTrip  is brilliant.  I got lost in Palma last year, didn’t have a map and ZipTrip saved the day.  

Crap at finding a bus, what time it is due and where it goes in your home location, but abroad, to find the bar where you left your mates, it’s brill.

Lol. 

Just use the traveline webpage. Infinitely better than that embarrassing travelmann ap. 

16 hours ago, John Wright said:

Ziptrip is a pretty shocking app. It just doesn't show the scheduling anymore. The DoI probably pay a hefty sum for it as well.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Ziptrip is a pretty shocking app. It just doesn't show the scheduling anymore. The DoI probably pay a hefty sum for it as well.

But I bet it meets whatever value matrix their procurement people insist being completed at the tender process even if it is totally useless for its actual users. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Are the hosts of this app a mate of Longworth’s by any chance...