Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
LightBulb

What will happen to the old Whitestone Garage Site ?

1 hour ago, LightBulb said:

What will happen to the old Whitstone Garage site, now that they have sold out to Jackson`s ?

With the size parking there, and the size of the property, it would have made a good retail site, Tesco Express/ Shoprite, however, if the bypass goes ahead then there would be little passing trade, so what could it be used for  ?

My bet is that Isle of Man Enterprises (Shoprite and the past owners of Whitestone) will turn it into a supermarket to capitalise on the new Ballasalla expansion and close their Castletown store.

That’d be stupid. Castletown may have limited parking, but it’s not far to Castle Apartments parking. And with Castle Apartments, Knock Rushen, and CRHS students, Castletown has the much bigger catchment.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NoTail said:

There's something distinctly iffy about the whole Jacksons setup. I wonder how long they will last, unless it is some kind of money laundering operation I would not give it more than 2 years.

I have not been to see it, and don't propose to but driving round the roundabout going to B&Q it does not look like it is buzzing with customers

It does look good though.

1 minute ago, yootalkin2me said:

It does look good though.

Are you after a discount on a mini ( or any other make )  by any chance ?

28 minutes ago, NoTail said:

There's something distinctly iffy about the whole Jacksons setup. I wonder how long they will last, unless it is some kind of money laundering operation I would not give it more than 2 years.

I have not been to see it, and don't propose to but driving round the roundabout going to B&Q it does not look like it is buzzing with customers

That might be why they are having to revert to a "Fun Weekend" this weekend with "Bouncy Castles, Free Food, Massive discounts, and free Mc Donalds Vouchers ?

1 hour ago, thesultanofsheight said:

It’s called the Jacksons effect. Another site freed up for development because the franchise rights passed to Jackson’s on the IOM Business Park. Same as the new drive in KFC on Peel Road which was formerly Eurocars. It’s freeing up lots of sites to be better capitalized on. 

And before Eurocars it was Felices, and before that wasteland. Think it belonged to the Railway. It came into public ownership at the same time as Chester Square was being redeveloped and Lipton’s and the car park built. Felices got a new factory out of it, to assist them move out of Chester Square. It’s called adapting to conditions.

Could move the Villiers site down there and then, redevelop the Douglas site?

39 minutes ago, John Wright said:

And before Eurocars it was Felices, and before that wasteland. Think it belonged to the Railway. It came into public ownership at the same time as Chester Square was being redeveloped and Lipton’s and the car park built. Felices got a new factory out of it, to assist them move out of Chester Square. It’s called adapting to conditions.

...and late 80's it was TransMann

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NoTail said:

Before Eurocars it was Island Garages

Didn`t it get sold to Cresta Holdings, then went under, along with another one or two ? ?

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Was Felices next door to Manx Ices ?

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

There’s probably more money in having a KFC drive through then a Citroen dealership. Make you wonder what Jackson’s actual business model is? Maybe the dealers that sold the franchise and kept the sites were the clever ones? Jackson’s business model doesn’t seem to stack up. If I had a site like Eurocars I’d be delighted to be able to flip it to a drive through. They’ll make more money selling horrible chicken buckets to chavs than Jackson’s will selling new Citroens. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, craggy_steve said:

My bet is that Isle of Man Enterprises (Shoprite and the past owners of Whitestone) will turn it into a supermarket to capitalise on the new Ballasalla expansion and close their Castletown store.

Is the parking in the square still to be changed to a leisure area, or has that fallen through ?

2 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

There’s probably more money in having a KFC drive through then a Citroen dealership. Make you wonder what Jackson’s actual business model is? Maybe the dealers that sold the franchise and kept the sites were the clever ones? Jackson’s business model doesn’t seem to stack up. If I had a site like Eurocars I’d be delighted to be able to flip it to a drive through. They’ll make more money selling horrible chicken buckets to chavs than Jackson’s will selling new Citroens. 

The business model looks like, buy up all the car franchises, so as if you want to buy a car on the isle of man, then you have to buy it from us, ( how to create a monopoly in one easy step ), i also notice the Toyota garage at the iom business park is now selling motorcycles, which i assume is also Jacksons.