Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Howard

Misuse of Tesco car park

On the maybe 8 times a year I take the car to Douglas I tend to park there and walk into town. It is convenient coming from south, it is free, I don't have to drive on the prom, there's always a space, I don't have to give money to DC. I'm not likely to be in town for more than 2 hours, but on the off chance I bump into someone and go for a coffee or something it is handy. Making it a two hour disc zone is a nuisance, and makes it more likely I will spend less time in Douglas (a good thing for me, less of a good thing for the wonderful delights of Strand Street).

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Fucks sake. 

way overdue, pay your parking fees like the rest of us...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Neil Down said:

way overdue, pay your parking fees like the rest of us...

What a surprise, you think it's a good thing. 

Just now, TheTeapot said:

What a surprise, you think it's a good thing. 

Why isn't it? Myself and hundreds of others have to pay to park in Douglas so why shouldn't you?

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Will it police itself or will the corpy be taking on more staff to facilitate this?

I suppose they could redeploy the airport bobbies to check discs instead, might be a bit more going on in their day then.

Edited by Lxxx

Law of unintended consequences - this will just reaffirm some people's view that it's fine to park there and not go into Tesco. Will probably increase the numbers doing it.

5 minutes ago, yorik said:

Law of unintended consequences - this will just reaffirm some people's view that it's fine to park there and not go into Tesco. Will probably increase the numbers doing it.

They won't if the consequences of parking there is a £60 ticket...

OK. Let me reword that - will probably increase the numbers chancing it.

I used to work with someone whose parking fines in a couple of months easily outstripped what they would have paid in a pay and display for the year.

2 hours ago, MrPB said:

To be fair it’s a supermarket carpark. If you can’t do your shopping in 2 hours why should Tesco provide free all day parking for tight arses? 

Poor, poor tesco

2 hours ago, yorik said:

OK. Let me reword that - will probably increase the numbers chancing it.

I used to work with someone whose parking fines in a couple of months easily outstripped what they would have paid in a pay and display for the year.

Also those who previously would not have bothered to park there for under two hours and not go to Tesco at all may now feel it's perfectly OK to do so.  And people who might have gone to do their shopping in Tesco and then popped into Town, leaving the car there, might choose to go somewhere else to do their shopping rather than be embarrassed if they go over the 2 hour limit.  Unintended consequences indeed.

5 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

I'm not likely to be in town for more than 2 hours. Making it a two hour disc zone is a nuisance, and makes it more likely I will spend less time in Douglas

You mean it's less likely Douglas has to suffer you being in him for two hours? Is he pleased with that?

Corpy have got to get their dollar from somewhere, there's Jonny's £100k pa mayoral budget/slush fund to pay for, doncha know?

I see DC are also objecting to proposals for an all-Island business rate on the grounds it may reduce their revenue as well.

20 minutes ago, display name said:

You mean it's less likely Douglas has to suffer you being in him for two hours? Is he pleased with that?

Wow, your savage wit is nearly at the level of Neil Down. Nearly.

Would the creation of a disk zone not require planning? Pretty much everything else does.