Rob Callister

La Colombe

The last two Chief Ministers tried to bring outspoken MHKs into the centre circle, and unfortunately they both failed

Would that be Mr Karran and Mr Thomas?

Did they 'fail' as individuals or as Ministers for the CM?

Presumably Dr Allinson will be working on legalization of cannabis for medicinal purposes only? 

Hope we can have hemp for construction hempcrete too

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

There's been a fairly extensive discussion of the drop in Allinson's vote and no one has mentioned the abortion issue that I can remember.  It probably did lose him some votes on 2016, but then practically everyone in Ramsey voted for him that time, so there was bound to be a drop.

Why was there bound to be a drop Roger?

Practically everyone in Onchan voted for Peter Karran. And continued to do so for 5 general election, putting him way top of the poll.

The people of Onchan inevitably got to know Peter Karran and saw him as they found him and more. (If you don't mind, I won't give what I see as the parallel situation for Dr Allinson).

Ditto the boy Juan down there in Rushen, who have topped the poll and stayed there, easily.

Edited by Barlow

5 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Why was there bound to be a drop Roger?

Practically everyone in Onchan voted for Peter Karran. And continued to do so for 5 general election, putting him way top of the poll.

Because last time he got 84% of those who voted supporting him.  The only way from that was down, especially given the increase in the number of candidates.  The highest percentage this time was Ashford with  79% and that was against fewer and poor opponents. 

And 'practically everyone' in Onchan didn't vote for Karran.  He got 67% in 2011 the last time he stood - overwhelming, but still a third didn't back him (and that's when they had three votes).

I'm sure that the abortion bill did lose Allinson some votes - though given it was in his 2016 manifesto possibly most so inclined would have been in the 16% already.  I suspect he may not have been as good at working the constituency as say Watterson always has been (but who is?).   He must have been tarnished a bit by the DESC position (though most of that was inherited) and the Marina clearly lost him a lot of votes.  But he still got a better percentage than nine other elected MPs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Forget dog turds. Toys being thrown out of a pram are the real menace on the streets of Onchan tonight

Hugely cringeworthy. Highly unprofessional. Horribly duplicitous  

I truly can’t see why he was passed over for one of the top roles.

It’s a mystery. 

• Haha 5

Callister's implicit criticism of the CM (in the blog posted JW posted) for including people who do not necessary agree with him on everything is especially telling.

In reality it's a potential positive that the Comin does not have a single (or toady) perspective.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Voted for a Tory; and is surprised when the Tory acts like a Tory. Sigh.

I was more surprised at an MHK openly confirming that he thought the attitude of the Chief Minister towards him was ‘unforgivable’. It really suggests it’s a personal slight like he’s signed some sort of bad deal to vote for Cannan that he’s only just found out was a bad deal as he didn’t get what he thought he’d negotiated by promising to vote for him.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, pongo said:

Callister's implicit criticism of the CM (in the blog posted JW posted) 

And yet he voted for him. He did not, stand by his opinion at the time and he did not, as others did, decline to endorse his appointment. It appears that’s it’s only now, having been passed over that he speaks his mind. 

Add sour grapes to my previous list. I mean, I know he’s absolutely raging about Julie getting a Ministership but, he’s really gone way beyond today. 

This is not the behaviour expected of a senior statesperson. I should think Mr Cannan is feeling quite vindicated  over the stance he chose. 

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I was more surprised at an MHK openly confirming that he thought the attitude of the Chief Minister towards him was ‘unforgivable’. It really suggests it’s a personal slight like he’s signed some sort of bad deal to vote for Cannan that he’s only just found out was a bad deal as he didn’t get what he thought he’d negotiated by promising to vote for him.

D’y’reckon? 😂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pongo said:

Callister's implicit criticism of the CM (in the blog posted JW posted) for including people who do not necessary agree with him on everything is especially telling.

In reality it's a potential positive that the Comin does not have a single (or toady) perspective.

It's not even about agreement - Callister seems to think that the CM should only appoint those who voted for him - which is petty at best and a pretty open invitation to corruption at worst - rather than those who are best suited to hold the positions.  But even Quayle appointed Thomas, Cannan and Beecroft from those who didn't vote for him.  I suspect he's hurt because only he and Bettison supported Cannan in 2016 and 2021, but loyalty isn't the only qualification for these things.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's not even about agreement - Callister seems to think that the CM should only appoint those who voted for him - which is petty at best and a pretty open invitation to corruption at worst - rather than those who are best suited to hold the positions.  But even Quayle appointed Thomas, Cannan and Beecroft from those who didn't vote for him.  I suspect he's hurt because only he and Bettison supported Cannan in 2016 and 2021, but loyalty isn't the only qualification for these things.

I think it could be a positive that loyalty alone doesnt make a person a good fit for a post. Surely ability should be to the fore. He hasnt done himself any favours with his outbursts . Quite sad really that a person whose was a potential Cabinet appointment should kick off because he didn't make the cut. We have all been situations like that in the work place but what you should do is knuckle down and prove you have the qualities to be successful. He has done everything wrong in my opinion. This is one time when I sincerly hope 'lessons are learned' . 

Edited by Numbnuts