Rob Callister

La Colombe

14 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I'm amazed that RC thought that just because the DOI & DfE featured strongly in his manifesto that he would be a shoo-in. How incredibly naive and arrogant in equal measure to even think or believe that.

Equally amazing is someone fighting to be put in charge of the DOI. It’s like wanting to win a raffle where the first prize is standing in a dog turd. 

• Haha 4

23 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

And, hasn’t he just been in DOI for the last two years? What exactly was his contribution whilst there? 

Keeping his head down to avoid being painted with the sort of association that cost Baker (and forerunners) his job?

• Like 1

It's not a great advert for your own character when you highlight that in your world you'd look to punish people who didn't vote for you, rather than engage with them.

I mean it's probably as expected with Rob, but to actually publicly say those things without the self-awareness of how it comes across is incredible.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Equally amazing is someone fighting to be put in charge of the DOI. It’s like wanting to win a raffle where the first prize is standing in a dog turd. 

But Rob thinks that everything at the DoI is pretty much fine according to his now notorious Facebook post:

Despite the public perception at times, the DOI is a great department and it keeps the island running in many ways, especially during extreme weather periods. In my final DOI meeting last week, I mentioned that the department has some great officers, and it just needs to deliver the basics well and to listen to the public more when going out to consultation.

So everything would be fine if they were only slightly better at PR.  Of course the problem with the DoI isn't just that it's not 'delivering the basics' well (though it's not and wouldn't anyone reasonable think that a fairly big flaw?) but that it has engaged in an endless stream of expensive, badly-managed, over-priced and usually unnecessary projects for no better reasons than the ego of various senior officials and the joy of spending money.

Obviously Rob would be the the perfect DoI Minister - for the DoI.  He would nod along to every bullshit explanation and then repeat it in public.  He would sign every contract without query and authorise every payment.  He would support every ridiculous project to the hilt and ignore the dereliction caused by the lack of maintenance.  And say what a great bunch of lads they all were.

You can't help wondering if Cannan had actually intended to give him the DoI and after hearing his views on the topic on Thursday afternoon realised just how embarrassing it would turn out to be.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

standing in  a dog turd is probably  preferable to being up to your neck in shit of your own making at a guess.

2 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But Rob thinks that everything at the DoI is pretty much fine according to his now notorious Facebook post:

Despite the public perception at times, the DOI is a great department and it keeps the island running in many ways, especially during extreme weather periods. In my final DOI meeting last week, I mentioned that the department has some great officers, and it just needs to deliver the basics well and to listen to the public more when going out to consultation.

So everything would be fine if they were only slightly better at PR.  Of course the problem with the DoI isn't just that it's not 'delivering the basics' well (though it's not and wouldn't anyone reasonable think that a fairly big flaw?) but that it has engaged in an endless stream of expensive, badly-managed, over-priced and usually unnecessary projects for no better reasons than the ego of various senior officials and the joy of spending money.

Obviously Rob would be the the perfect DoI Minister - for the DoI.  He would nod along to every bullshit explanation and then repeat it in public.  He would sign every contract without query and authorise every payment.  He would support every ridiculous project to the hilt and ignore the dereliction caused by the lack of maintenance.  And say what a great bunch of lads they all were.

You can't help wondering if Cannan had actually intended to give him the DoI and after hearing his views on the topic on Thursday afternoon realised just how embarrassing it would turn out to be.

It's almost as though he hasn't read the Beaman's report!

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

The two seemed a perfect match🤣

The majority voted for the increase as there is not a lot of option, when it was suggested they postpone the vote for a week he and others said a week was not long enough to go into the whole gas scenario but I think there is going to be scrutiny of the company involved….Clare Christian maintained that more gas stock should have been acquired and stored before the prices shot up….it was very interesting.

3 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

The majority voted for the increase as there is not a lot of option, when it was suggested they postpone the vote for a week he and others said a week was not long enough to go into the whole gas scenario but I think there is going to be scrutiny of the company involved….Clare Christian maintained that more gas stock should have been acquired and stored before the prices shot up….it was very interesting.

Do Manx Gas buy their gas from the MUA?.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

Did he?

I thought he said a weeks adjournment is just too short, but then went on to vote for the motion to increase gas prices by 27.8%

Confusing to me

He has previous. He gave a half an hour (possibly even 45 minutes) speech about why a budget was terrible but he ended up voting for it in the end.

3 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Yes I think they buy the gas wholesale in the market and own part of the pipeline. Wouldn’t be ironic if part of the issue was the MUAs lack of hedging and forward ordering. 

The pipeline to the UK is the MUA's, the pipe network was built by the MUA and sold to Manx Gas (or we loaned them the money to build it).