Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
La Colombe

Rob Callister

Is the GOA still a thing? Thought it had been swallowed up years ago.

5 minutes ago, woolley said:

Are the tides that big on the west coast of India ?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, woolley said:

It may well have done. I was just wondering what sort of club or focal point might serve to get a load of aging, self-obesssed, angry, mouthy, bullies all in the same place on the same night and some sort of overgrown boys club for failed public sector management was the only thing I could think of. Or is there a lodge meeting on perhaps? 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, MrPB said:

It may well have done. I was just wondering what sort of club or focal point might serve to get a load of aging, self-obesssed, angry, mouthy, bullies all in the same place on the same night and some sort of overgrown boys club for failed public sector management was the only thing I could think of. Or is there a lodge meeting on perhaps? 

The sort of club who decided that you were a complete prick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rushen Spy said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/horse-trams-lose-more-than-700-over-tt/

More than 1,400 passengers used the horse trams over the 2019 TT fortnight - at a cost to the taxpayer of over £700.

A rather strange circumstance for Rob Callister as the Member for TOURISM in the Department for Enterprise (unless that has changed?) to ask these basic questions (that you'd expect they'd already know the answer to, if there was anybody competent in charge) as official Tynwald Questions.

I assume that he asked it because he wanted to make that very point.  The one thing we know about Manx Government Departments is that are rubbish at telling each other anything.  Presumably if the underlings actually doing any work were allowed to communicate with each other directly, then it would become clear that the whole elaborate management structure was unnecessary.   Of course the really interesting question would be how much extra did the DoI spend to get the track ready for use by TT.  I suspect it would be a lot more than the £700 they spent on wages less the fares taken.

It can't entirely be a diversionary tactic because I think questions have to be submitted eight days before the Keys sitting, so he would have had to know there was something embarrassing to hide by the Monday of TT Week.  Though there usually is.

Actually the most useful thing about that news item[1] is that it gives access to the Written Questions from today's Keys.  Some interesting stuff there.

[1]  I assume it's by young Mr Gawne as he appears to be the only person on Douglas Head who understands that a news story can be longer than three sentences and knows how links work.

2 hours ago, Rushen Spy said:

Exactly. I'd be interested to know the cost and profit regarding the TT magazine that was being priced at something ridiculous like £18 just for a magazine. What costs did this incur, how many copies were printed compared to last year, were last year's sales taken into consideration, what exactly has been done with copies that were not sold, who were the contractors for the writing and printing of the magazine, what other costs were incurred in the production of the magazine, how much profit went to third party private companies, how much funding did the DfE pay towards it, etc.

And how many unsold copies are binned/skipped/incinerator fodder..? 

• Thanks 1

The cost of running the horse trams over TT was minimal compared to those sodding fairy houses and I am sure there would have been a lot more activity on them if the weather had been better.  

I saw this on the Nations Propaganda Mouthpiece today, regarding the IPA Pool Tournament finale being held at the Palace Hotel at the end of October this year.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-sport/island-to-host-ipa-tour-season-finale/

Perhaps in some respects we should be singing this out loudly. However, the cynicism in me has a lot of questions. I certainly hope the figures and the projections are correct, and would love the know what ‘The Pool King’ has promised, either logistically, financially or other materialistic support. 

We kept being told how big cycling is on the island and how well we punch above our weight. Perhaps we should better facilities, maybe a velodrome. Maybe we may get more prestigious cycling events, not just the one- off of the British Championships. 

Perhaps the IOM could hold a professional snooker tournament here, perhaps likely to be televised by ITV4? Darts, again being televised by ITV4? Perhaps the IOM could organise a pre season friendly tournament, akin to the old pre season events of days gone by. This could be held at the Bowl.

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I saw this on the Nations Propaganda Mouthpiece today, regarding the IPA Pool Tournament finale being held at the Palace Hotel at the end of October this year.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-sport/island-to-host-ipa-tour-season-finale/

Perhaps in some respects we should be singing this out loudly. However, the cynicism in me has a lot of questions. I certainly hope the figures and the projections are correct, and would love the know what ‘The Pool King’ has promised, either logistically, financially or other materialistic support. 

Hmm .. fat men in tuxedos slugging it out for a thirty grand prize. It’s a bit like dressed up sumo I suppose. However it is certainly the sort of low aspiration sporting event that’s entirely appropriate for the IOM though. A nice choice of venue too. One of the grottiest hotels in Douglas. That will leave a great impression on all attending. 

Edited by MrPB
Typo

7 hours ago, MrPB said:

Hmm .. fat men in tuxedos slugging it out for a thirty grand prize. It’s a bit like dressed up sumo I suppose. However it is certainly the sort of low aspiration sporting event that’s entirely appropriate for the IOM though. A nice choice of venue too. One of the grottiest hotels in Douglas. That will leave a great impression on all attending. 

it should have been held in the villa like the last big comp but now i guess the money has to go to one of the governments favourite hotels instead.

• Thanks 1

Just now, WTF said:

it should have been held in the villa like the last big comp but now i guess the money has to go to one of the governments favourite hotels instead.

That bit didn't get past me either. Mind, looking at the Tour venues they all tend to be in hotels.

8 hours ago, 2112 said:

We kept being told how big cycling is on the island and how well we punch above our weight. Perhaps we should better facilities, maybe a velodrome. Maybe we may get more prestigious cycling events, not just the one- off of the British Championships. 

Perhaps the IOM could hold a professional snooker tournament here, perhaps likely to be televised by ITV4? Darts, again being televised by ITV4? Perhaps the IOM could organise a pre season friendly tournament, akin to the old pre season events of days gone by. This could be held at the Bowl.

Morning 2112

Happy to confirm that I travelled to the IPA World Champions in February (at my own expense), along with scheduling various meetings between the IPA and local hotels, travel agents and the tourism team in April. 

As political member I normally review and sign off funding requests relating to tourism events, but once the IPA submitted their application to the tourism team for funding, which is based on number of visitors and bed nights etc I stepped back and took no part in that process because of a perceived conflict.

The Visit Agency is looking to extend the island’s tourism season with non weather dependent events, such as the European Netball Championships that was very successful. 

The IPA event will see the world’s best eight ball pool players competing and the event will be streamed live via the BBC Sport Apps. 

Hopefully, this will become an annual event similar to the Darts etc.  

Local pool / snooker players are encouraged to get involved. 

There will also be a poker tournament, which will certainly attract some local attention. 

I have no involvement in the actual event, I simply brought people together. I might be playing in the tournament but I haven’t played pool for a couple of years.

• Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, WTF said:

Hi WTF 

The event held in the Villa back in 1995 or 1997 was the European Team Championships, which might return in 2021/22.

The IPA events are individual Competitions, which are normally held in a hotel  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Rob Callister said:

Morning 2112

Happy to confirm that I travelled to the IPA World Champions in February (at my own expense), along with scheduling various meetings between the IPA and local hotels, travel agents and the tourism team in April. 

As political member I normally review and sign off funding requests relating to tourism events, but once the IPA submitted their application to the tourism team for funding, which is based on number of visitors and bed nights etc I stepped back and took no part in that process because of a perceived conflict.

The Visit Agency is looking to extend the island’s tourism season with non weather dependent events, such as the European Netball Championships that was very successful. 

The IPA event will see the world’s best eight ball pool players competing and the event will be streamed live via the BBC Sport Apps. 

Hopefully, this will become an annual event similar to the Darts etc.  

Local pool / snooker players are encouraged to get involved. 

There will also be a poker tournament, which will certainly attract some local attention. 

I have no involvement in the actual event, I simply brought people together. I might be playing in the tournament but I haven’t played pool for a couple of years.

Thanks for the prompt reply. Yes it’s good the event is getting exposure view BBC App and Red Button - perhaps it would have been more publicity if the event was screened on Freesports? Sadly IOM can’t get Freesports via Terrestrial aerial but it’s on the Sky Platform, and Freesports can be viewed on certain free phone TV apps. I know the BBC and Freesports both screen certain competitions. 

• Thanks 1