Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
La Colombe

Rob Callister

18 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

You are all the same person

You are TJ

Don't bore us with that old BS again. Nobody other than you (with your bizarre obsession with me) cares if I'm TJ or not.

I've been on here a while and although some people use different logins (I definitely do not) I'd still say there are at least 30 regular unique (as in, not the same person) posters on here.

19 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I’d forgotten about him. Was never sure whether it was a ‘thing’ though. Donald’s very specific reply intrigued me though. 

I take it you were talking about Watterson above DT? 

18 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

I am saying nothing

I'm in enough trouble as it is

How can you possibly be in trouble with the Clerk of Tynwald when you're not even a Tynwald member? Could you explain a little more what you mean there.

"I am saying nothing"

Tho' obviously I have not mentioned the Clerk of TYnwald

Posted (edited)

Why would you say nothing? There's literally nothing the Clerk of Tynwald  (or the "office of Tynwald") could possibly do to censure you, a non-member of Tynwald, in any way based on a complaint from a Tynwald member. Could you *hypothetically* suggest ways that a non-member could get in trouble?

Edited by Rushen Spy

1 minute ago, Donald Trumps said:

Tho' obviously I have not mentioned the Clerk of TYnwald

Then what is meant by "the Office of Tynwald"? Same questions apply.

Presumably the Tynwald building has a little office in it, where members can go & complain about stuff

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Presumably the Tynwald building has a little office in it, where members can go & complain about stuff

What powers does it have over non-Tynwald members?

Edited by Rushen Spy

Oh no, just a small one - perhaps with glass framed windows - where honourable members can go & leave complaints about stuff

It may not even be staffed

Perhaps just a box marked 'honourable members' complaints'

With a slot in the top

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

Why would you say nothing? There's literally nothing the Clerk of Tynwald  (or the "office of Tynwald") could possibly do to censure you, a non-member of Tynwald, in any way based on a complaint from a Tynwald member. Could you *hypothetically* suggest ways that a non-member could get in trouble?

On the contrary, Contempt of Tynwald is a thing mentioned in Standing Orders and complaints can be brought against non-members as well:

(3) (i) Where a question concerning a person, other than a Member, is drawn to the attention of the President under paragraph (2) the President shall refer it to the Standing Orders Committee.
(ii) Where a reference is made under sub-paragraph (i), the Standing Orders Committee shall –
(a) investigate and report on the question, with recommendations; or
(b) recommend that the question be referred to an ad hoc committee of privileges appointed by Tynwald to do so.

(4) The President shall orally report a reference under paragraphs (2) or (3) to Tynwald.

(5) Where a Branch or a Committee recommends under this Standing Order that action be taken by Tynwald, the President shall put the recommendation to the Court as a motion without debate or amendment.

The whole thing is left very vague as to what such a contempt would entail, but there's no doubt it exists.

• Confused 1

I have contempt for Tynwald. What do I win?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

On the contrary, Contempt of Tynwald is a thing mentioned in Standing Orders and complaints can be brought against non-members as well:

The whole thing is left very vague as to what such a contempt would entail, but there's no doubt it exists.

Isn’t that what did for John Hougton and got him banned from entering the building? Seems odd they even pretend to claim that they might mythical powers in relation to private citizens. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Surely those rules only apply within the Tynwald chamber, e.g. to non-members in the Public Gallery?

It's hard to see what possible powers or remit they have over some guy in Pulrose typing  on Manx Forums.

Hypothetically, let's say someone (not me) was in the Public Gallery and threw an egg at a politician in protest. I assume the Standing Orders would allow for the person to be removed and not allowed back. Although, as Sultan mentioned above, with the case of Houghton, would such rules allow them to stop the person running for public office in Tynwald, thereby cancelling out the order, or would they have to make a special request of Tynwald to be allowed to run for public office?

I forget the whole case of Houghton. Will need to look it up again as I've totally forgotten what he did, but I do remember thinking it was bang out of order to not allow him into Tynwald. Was he even allowed the option to apologise to be allowed back in?

Edited by Rushen Spy

27 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Isn’t that what did for John Hougton and got him banned from entering the building? Seems odd they even pretend to claim that they might  [have] mythical powers in relation to private citizens. 

They do though because Tynwald counts as a Court with its own powers and the Keys and LegCo also have such powers.  They have used them in the past - though it hasn't always gone well for them (think of the reactions to the cases of Samuel Norris and James Brown).  And any modern attempts to enforce such powers might well fall foul of the Human Rights Act, depending on the circumstances.  But most parliaments have some form of contempt proceedings, if for example potential witnesses refuse to turn up to give evidence to a Committee.

• Thanks 1