Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
La Colombe

Rob Callister

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

And of course the guides get backhanders as anyone who's ever thought "Oh God! Not another carpet shop" will tell you.  But there are some people for whom a holiday is just an excuse to do more shopping, so they're catering for them as well.

I bet they’re still flummoxed though when they get here and drop a £50 note into the sweaty palm of the guide and say ‘Take my wife to all the nice luxury goods shops’! I wonder how many £50 notes get taken back? 

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 2:46 PM, CharlieBrown said:

£70 to visit the Laxey Wheel is probably a damn site less than what I pay to not visit it.

How odd,I don't visit it for free

Tynwald was doing free tours today

Wonder how much a cruise excursions agency would charge for that?

'Spose they have to do something with the chambers on those days when Tynwald never sits in order to keep staff employed

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

They actually do free tours every Monday and Friday.  A cruise company would probably go on about 'special access' and charge £50.

Guess that they've got to make an effort to get back the £18M+ that they spent renovating the chambers, during T. Brown's tenure a few years back. In fact, IIRC, that ran a little over budget too..?

• Sad 1

HAPPY belated 50th BIRTHDAY Mr Rob MHK!! Congratulations, hope you had a great time on your 50th birthday.

1dbbd6e3ced335d7bacdf3124734406e.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, finlo said:

He'only 50???? Surely you jest!

He’s had a hard life as an aspiring grown up human being. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I know even discussing this person leads to arguments on here but is anyone listening to the radio interview and the pathetic reasons being offered up to try to justify the investment into the deep water berth and the cruise industry? Total rubbish. I’m sorry but it’s just total rubbish trying to suggest there is a clear investment case when clearly there is none. He even admitted that most people probably just buy a cup of tea and a souvenir but he’s sure (another classic DfE phrase) that isn’t the whole story. Well I’m sorry if you can’t produce data to the contrary then that is probably the whole story rather than try to claim that the cruise liner staff buying crisps and supplies at Marks and Spencer’s makes any difference to the numbers. Utter waffle. They clearly are hellbent on funding this multi million pound white elephant. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MrPB said:

I know even discussing this person leads to arguments on here but is anyone listening to the radio interview and the pathetic reasons being offered up to try to justify the investment into the deep water berth and the cruise industry? Total rubbish. I’m sorry but it’s just total rubbish trying to suggest there is a clear investment case when clearly there is none. He even admitted that most people probably just buy a cup of tea and a souvenir but he’s sure (another classic DfE phrase) that isn’t the whole story. Well I’m sorry if you can’t produce data to the contrary then that is probably the whole story rather than try to claim that the cruise liner staff buying crisps and supplies at Marks and Spencer’s makes any difference to the numbers. Utter waffle. They clearly are hellbent on funding this multi million pound white elephant. 

I did hear it. They seem to be so desperate now that even £100M spent to justify their jobs looks like an ok deal to them rather than them actually having to explain to the public why nobody is coming here. Some of the figures quoted also seemed to show that government is making more out of the cruises than the private sector. So again I’m sure £100M spent looks like a good way of ensuring that 50 jobs at a free museum and some castles don’t get lost. It seems a totally bonkers business case.

Edited by Grounds Keeper Willy
Spelling