Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
La Colombe

Rob Callister

I don't think spending £100m on a deepwater birth is justifiable. There aren't the tourist numbers coming here because the weather is pretty miserable. People used to come back in the day because "going abroad" i.e to a non English speaking country was more difficult. Cheap holidays to Spain cured that and now people jolly off for weekends at the drop of a hat very cheaply everywhere...but not here.

If the Island wants to present a USP then, as distasteful and disruptive as some might find it, I think it's motor racing and road closures for other events. I really don't think that a deepwater birth and trip to the Laxey Wheel is the answer.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Grounds Keeper Willy said:

I did hear it. They seem to be so desperate now that even £100M spent to justify their jobs looks like an ok deal to them rather than them actually having to explain to the public why nobody is coming here. Some of the figures quoted also seemed to show that government is making more out of the cruises than the private sector. So again I’m sure £100M spent looks like a good way of ensuring that 50 jobs at a free museum and some castles don’t get lost. It seems a totally bonkers business case.

I can't recall a Government business case in the past few years which would hold water in a boardroom ! but then again it doesn't have to, its not their money ! I can't think of a bunch of politicos with less regard for other peoples cash than the showers we have had over the past 25yrs !!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Is this £100m figure genuine?

I know it's a daft amount of money but is it actually contained in a serious proposal?

1 hour ago, Donald Trumps said:

I know it's a daft amount of money but is it actually contained in a serious proposal?

If it is it will be a starter for ten, they couldn't get an ice cream purchased on budget !!

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

Add the DOI screw up factor at 20% and it’s already pretty close

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=39125

They break it down in the most bizarre way to try to get to a low headline number. I mean what we really need is wind farm support vessel pontoons as obviously we get loads at the moment we can’t accommodate. 

Edited by Grounds Keeper Willy
Typo
  • Like 2

The Department for Enterprise is also backing a cruise ship berth, ’with the proposed model having the potential to grow annual passenger numbers from today’s 6,200 to between 30,000 and 40,000 in 10 to 25 years’ time’.

Hahahahahahaha! Hahahaha!

:D

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, slinkydevil said:

That’s 30,000 to 40,000 cups of tea. Is it time for Mr Callister to invest in a coffee shop as a retirement plan? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, slinkydevil said:

Absolutely unreal. We really have to do something before these idiots destroy our way of life and our island and its enonomy.

I have always backed our MHKs as being democratically elected to do what is right, but FFS they have left common sense behind and are now in danger of destroying everything

What can we do? This is not some stupid joke. it is real and a threat to our whole existence. 

• Like 3

Give lots of support to the various green movements on the island

That should help a lot

• Confused 1

We might have the Douglas prom finished in 10 - 25 years time. That might bring them flocking. Bit like the pyramids. With a bit of luck one or two politicians might be entombed underneath it too.

I just don't understand it. RC's normally all over mentions of his name, but he's keeping well out of this one. Perhaps he's on another media training course.

• Haha 1

Maybe the last course trained him to recognise situations where it might be better to keep one's head down...?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, piebaps said:

I just don't understand it. RC's normally all over mentions of his name, but he's keeping well out of this one. Perhaps he's on another media training course.

He may just be sitting back this time plotting his next flounce when it is glaringly obvious he is wrong - whilst again pointing fingers at others...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, piebaps said:

I imagine he just feels rather silly that his various persecution fantasies haven’t been matched by actual reality. 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, piebaps said:

Fear not he's busy giving interviews to Manx Radio (a particularly obsequious Dollin Mercer) about why people asking questions is a bad idea (unless it's him obvs):

Now it's true that some of the questions that were asked were fairly ridiculous or had already been answered elsewhere.  I've had some fun  pointing out the dafter ones myself.  But Rob misses the point about what questions are for.  They're not about the MHK finding out stuff for themself, or for a constituent, they're about putting that information into the public arena.  So saying that "Most of those could have been answered by a simple email" to find out something, gets things wrong[1].  Such information shouldn't be for the select few to be told as the powers that be feel necessary.  The rest of us plebs have a right to know as well. 

We saw a lot of this sort of high-handed attitude to information under Bell and it's a pity to see it come back again.  Yes there will always be some stupid questions that end up being asked (there always have been, as old Hansards will show) but it's better to have that than have people deciding what the 'proper' questions to ask are.

He (and Mercer) also miss the point about the number of written questions - that you need to ask more of them because there isn't the chance to ask supplementaries, so you have to guess what the follow questions could be and ask them all separately.

It's also worth pointing out that Manx Radio are being a bit hypocritical by suggesting that Moorhouse's questions were trivial and then reporting the answers to them at great length.  If they're newsworthy, then surely they were worth asking.

[1]  Obviously, despite all the whingeing about what it costs to answer a Tynwald question, it costs just as much to give the same information in an e-mail and of course if the information is given privately you may have to spend more time giving the same information to different people who ask separately.

Edited by Roger Mexico
Wrong interviewer name
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1