Jump to content
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
La Colombe

Rob Callister

Recommended Posts

Shame Mr Callister doesn't use his blog to write openly about the political situation on the island

Our politicos are remarkably silent

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is ridiculous. This is not the behaviour of an elected representative of the HOK. This is not personal toward Mr Callister this is a subjective issue.

I can’t imagine a contemporary of his across the water getting away with such nonsense - and it is nonsense. This is nothing to do with public scrutiny and transparency, this is all to do with a few people in the wrong places encouraging him and this encouragement is supporting his belief that he’s doing the right thing. 

If this nonsense was being published by an MP in the Uk, there would be someone from central  office telling him to button it. I understand his colleagues and friends have tried to have a quiet word on him but he’s absolutely convinced he’s doing the right thing, and he isn’t. 

Is there one single person (apart from Kopek) who thinks it’s a good read? That it’s an appropriate historical record of the events in the life of an MHK in 2019? Does it show us in good light or is it not cringeworthy and embarrassing. If it was Chris who works in the coop (no offence Chris) he could post what he likes but this is a representative of the government of the Isle for Man. Someone who is elected to represent us at the highest level. Designated Survivor blog it is not.  

The real question however is not whether it’s a good read or not the question is, why he is not being managed from up top and instead of a quiet word, he’s just told. I can’t imagine another government department where another senior officer would be allowed to post such inconsequential shite without some hard talking to. The problem isn’t RC, the problem is that he’s not being managed affectively. I honestly believe that RC does everything with the best of intentions. He’s a good man at heart,  but he just doesn’t understand people, or their feelings. it’s a shame and an effective manager would keep him doing what he’s good at at reigning him on that the stuff he doesn’t do so well  So, it’s really not personal, it’s just a despair at the inefficient and toxic environment of government at its highest level  

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Donald Trumps said:

Shame Mr Callister doesn't use his blog to write openly about the political situation on the island

Our politicos are remarkably silent

And that is exactly what one might expect from a government representative of the House of Keys. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ecobob said:

I understand his colleagues and friends have tried to have a quiet word on him but he’s absolutely convinced he’s doing the right thing, and he isn’t. 

Is there one single person (apart from Kopek) who thinks it’s a good read? That it’s an appropriate historical record of the events in the life of an MHK in 2019? Does it show us in good light or is it not cringeworthy and embarrassing. If it was Chris who works in the coop (no offence Chris) he could post what he likes but this is a representative of the government of the Isle for Man. Someone who is elected to represent us at the highest level. Designated Survivor blog it is not.  

The real question however is not whether it’s a good read or not the question is, why he is not being managed from up top and instead of a quiet word, he’s just told.

This is politics. Why should it be anyone’s responsibility to tell you that you’re a bell end who is ruining all chances of getting re-elected? You have to assume that an independent politician is responsible for his own actions. The party machine is not there to reign anyone in and neither should it as Tynwald is not a party. If you choose to present yourself as a complete tool to the general public as a holder of political office then that’s your fault. It’s not the fault of the people around you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Grounds Keeper Willy said:
1 hour ago, ecobob said:

He’s a good man at heart,  but he just doesn’t understand people, or their feelings.

Isn't that the very definition of some sort of sociopath? 

Not really.  A sociopath does tend to understand people and their feelings - they just don't care about people and use their feelings to manipulate others for their own benefit.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Not really.  A sociopath does tend to understand people and their feelings - they just don't care about people and use their feelings to manipulate others for their own benefit.

Thanks for clarifying. I thought it was displaying impaired empathy and disinhibited and egotistical traits. Is that a psychopath? 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A psychopath certainly displays those traits. Funnily enough, we all do to some extents but most of us are at the mild edge of the spectrum. Cluster B personality disordered types including psychopathy, also have these traits but these traits are only a small part of their condition, not all. 

There are many people who are not socially or emotional literate and who cannot feel empathy but it’s an extremely large spectrum and one can be at opposing ends to the other. 

Other disorders and syndromes have these traits, autism for example. High functioning Aspergers as a further example of Autism  - but they are not psychopaths either  :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

This is politics. Why should it be anyone’s responsibility to tell you that you’re a bell end who is ruining all chances of getting re-elected? You have to assume that an independent politician is responsible for his own actions. The party machine is not there to reign anyone in and neither should it as Tynwald is not a party. If you choose to present yourself as a complete tool to the general public as a holder of political office then that’s your fault. It’s not the fault of the people around you. 

I wouldn’t say he’s a bell end. He’s hugely annoying as are most people stuck in some rigid dogma of self belief and lack of self awareness. And, as I said in my post, there will be plenty fair weather friends telling him he’s god’s gift and when you live in that ‘bubble’ it’s hard to see the wood from the trees. The only real public challenge he gets is on here but look how he reacts? And that’s what he does, he reacts, he doesn’t respond. His replies are quickfire and not indicative of someone stepping back to look at the whole picture. 

As to your question? In simple terms because his blog is embarrassing and inappropriate. It is not the blog of a senior statesman. We are trying to compete on the bigger stage and our government should look slick, cohesive and professional and anyone who’s behaviour does not adhere to that should be brought back into line. Like Juan and the bus for example. He came very very close to losing his job but instead he got bollocked and told to get his shit together - and he has. Wouldn’t you expect the CM to make it clear all his team should do the same - including RC?

Edited by ecobob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ecobob said:

Wouldn’t you expect the CM to make it clear all his team should do the same - including RC?

No I wouldn’t. As I said they’re all independents. There is no party whip or line. One singular MHK making a complete tit out of themselves on Facebook is of no concern to the CM I’d say - especially if they aren’t even a Minister. He’s not even on COMIN so it’s got nothing to do with the CM really. Best advice would be to just stop posting embarrassing shite. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We elect these people and then we hate them. No need to make a career of it!!!

  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Kopek said:

We elect these people and then we hate them.

Hate is a strong word. It’s more like a vicarious embarrassment via social media osmosis I’m sure in most cases. It’s like everyone else in the world can see how awful and inappropriate his seemingly delusional postings are from a safe distance but sadly he can’t seem to see it for himself. You can’t blame the CM or anyone else other than the person who wakes up in the morning and says “I’m going to post this on Facebook today because this is what my ego is telling me other people will think is important. Because it’s about me!” 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What if it’s not ego. What if it’s really just that he can’t see the truth. What if he’s actually trying really really hard and really does believe he’s doing the right thing? Some people get fixated on a certain point of view and cannot look beyond it. We’ve got some on here. Of course you could be right and maybe he is just a self absorbed ego maniac. I’m just tying to be kind and play devil’s advocate I guess. 

I take your point re direction and I can understand where you are coming from but I’m not sure I could agree. Regardless of his stature within the house I still think the CM should be able to rein someone in who is making a bit of a laughing stock of themselves as it reflects on government as a whole. But we can agree to differ on that.  

Edited by ecobob
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ecobob said:

I still think the CM should be able to rein someone in who is making a bit of a laughing stock of themselves a

So, Dictatorship then? You don't seem to understand the need for a free thinking HoKs that will independently assess the proposals before them. Already most are under the financial reward of being 'good boys and girls' and now they are ti be further curtailed in what they can write on a fatuous blog on Facebook?

Switch it off, try PornHub!!!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...