Jump to content
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
La Colombe

Rob Callister

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Not sure why RC feels the need to pay for any kind of advertising. Enough posters on here do it for free for him. 80 pages and counting...:rolleyes:

There is that Neil

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

We agree which is why I’d like to see public disclosure on spend and limits on spend otherwise some day someone like Boot, who could easily afford to spunk tens of thousands to generate good PR about himself, will do it and it will buy gullible people and votes from gullible people. People are more gullible than you think as you agree with your Cambridge Analytics comment. 

This is IOM politics and not Cambridge Analytics though.

If Boot gets back in (unlikely?) It wont be because he spammed a few people on Facebook (as you can block too, no doubt).

Plus Boot has plenty of money (not from the taxpayer as seemed to be an issue) so surely he can waste it on what he wants?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

If all we ever have is people like you posting bitter agenda driven snipes/lies etc

Lies? Nonsense :lol:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

In fact some Onchan people are concerned as apparently it’s already been raised with you at a public meeting according to another poster [ecobob] but that’s another matter  

I did raise this but I did not say the concern came from Onchan people specifically and I did not say it was raised at a public meeting. 

Apart from that I’m interested to see how this debate on paying for public reach by MHK’s pans out. If it’s true that other political parties are using sponsored posts on Facebook to publicise their work then I must have missed them all but I’m prepared to accept that perhaps it is the case. If true then I too feel it’s fundamentally wrong. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rob Callister said:
Reading some of the comments that have been posted over the last 72 hours, I cannot believe that I am seriously being criticised for over engaging with the people that elected me to the House of Keys three years ago today.....
 
That has to be a first for the Isle of Man because most MHKs are usually criticised for a clear lack of engagement once they are elected to public office.

Sponsoring (paying for) an advertisement promoting yourself to show up on social media timelines is also not "engagement", it's "spam".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, ecobob said:

I did raise this but I did not say the concern came from Onchan people specifically and I did not say it was raised at a public meeting. 

Apart from that I’m interested to see how this debate on paying for public reach by MHK’s pans out. If it’s true that other political parties are using sponsored posts on Facebook to publicise their work then I must have missed them all but I’m prepared to accept that perhaps it is the case. If true then I too feel it’s fundamentally wrong. 

Sorry I must have mis read your post. Looking at it said - someone challenged him yesterday on that very point and asked if MHK’s paying for sponsorship was the way things were going to go in the future. He didn’t reply but this morning the sponsored post and all its comments has gone. I wrongly assumed that question was at a surgery or meeting. Seems we agree on the basic problem though. Like you I think it’s fundamentally wrong for an MHK to pay to target people on social media for political advantage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's the difference then where a sitting MHK using the news paper, iom online, radio stations, surgeries, door to door etc to be in the public eye?

Social media is just another method of communication and can be ignored or disregarded exactly the same as any of the other forms of publicity. Probably easier actually.

Anyone can pay to take out an add on the radio.   Come election time the cost constraints a prospective MHK candidate can spend will still apply.  Communication methods are changing so I can't see how it differs from letters, flyers or any other form of communication. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Sorry I must have mis read your post. Looking at it said - someone challenged him yesterday on that very point and asked if MHK’s paying for sponsorship was the way things were going to go in the future. He didn’t reply but this morning the sponsored post and all its comments has gone. I wrongly assumed that question was at a surgery or meeting. Seems we agree on the basic problem though. Like you I think it’s fundamentally wrong for an MHK to pay to target people on social media for political advantage. 

Again more incorrect statements...... I set the AD to finish after 3 days 

I didn’t respond to the FB message because it from a fake account....

EEEBC589-18A7-427D-859E-C26CC8D4C4AD.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

That’s a good point but parties promote broad agendas and policies. Independents promote themselves exclusively which is very different. The last thing I’m sure you would wish to see, Donald, is the CM buying £20Ks worth of targeted and paid for ads saying how brilliantly he’s dealt with Brexit to every Island resident? He could afford to do it easily. He could have your news feed full for 6 months if he wanted. 

what fat man can afford and what fat man is willing to afford are two very very different things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He can't fill my newsfeed - it's very easy to block people who communicate total crap

Not that he bothers communicating with the electorate anyway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Rob Callister said:

Again more incorrect statements...... I set the AD to finish after 3 days 

I didn’t respond to the FB message because it from a fake account....

EEEBC589-18A7-427D-859E-C26CC8D4C4AD.jpeg

It wasn’t a message, it was a comment and it was removed and it wasn’t from a fake account. I’m quite prepared to listen and contribute to the debate on whether this is morally right or not but I’m not prepared to let untruths go unchallenged. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Rob Callister said:

Again more incorrect statements...... I set the AD to finish after 3 days 

I didn’t respond to the FB message because it from a fake account....

 

You really do need to learn to read. The comment I reproduced was ecobobs not mine. I didn’t say that, I quoted what ecobob had posted a few pages back as an apology to ecobob as I had misread it. That said I see you have now used your standard childish claim of fake accounts. Is that your Nuremberg defense when choosing not to answer any questions from the public about things you yourself choose to post publicly on Facebook? You seem to use it often enough. This isn’t about you as I have said often enough - it’s about debating the ethics of bought for political ads on social media which you have recently elected to do which is the only reason why you have been mentioned. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Rob Callister said:

 

I didn’t respond to the FB message because it from a fake account....

 

Alleging fake accounts can get you suspended.

Rob, don’t respond to them. It just winds it up and continues a debate you know you can’t win.

Why waste your time? Surely your priceless media training taught you that.

If this carries on there’ll be multiple suspensions before the night is out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Alleging fake accounts can get you suspended.

Rob, don’t respond to them. It just winds it up and continues a debate you know you can’t win.

Why waste your time? Surely your priceless media training taught you that.

If this carries on there’ll be multiple suspensions before the night is out.

So you suspend people now for discussing FB fake accounts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

So you suspend people now for discussing FB fake accounts?

I didn’t mention FB. Very deliberately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...