Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
La Colombe

Rob Callister

5 minutes ago, Rob Callister said:

People might not agree with the items that I have listed, but I remain the only Tynwald Member to try to explain how these funds have been spent each year.  

It’s a shame that you explain them so poorly in that event as the above makes little sense to most people I’m sure. You appear to have more pockets than a snooker table.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Rob Callister said:

As for the IPA trip, the funds came out of my personal bank account..... 

The Truth of the lie...................

No-one is disputing you paid for it from your personal bank account - the question of why you have publicly announced it was from expenses is still to be clarified.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I think Declan's point is that it still did actually come out his own pocket.  So it's not a lie - just incredibly dumb. 

But to the man on the street it is confusing. As I said he seems to have more pockets than a snooker table. So his wages money is his, his expenses money is his, and departmental expenses seem to be paid on top as well in many cases if I read it right. No wonder he can’t describe which pocket it’s paid out of when disclosures are made as I’m lost just trying to follow what’s been said. 

Edited by Grounds Keeper Willy
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Rob Callister said:

As for the IPA trip, the funds came out of my personal bank account..... the alternative option was to ask DfE to cover the cost of the trip

Can I ask why would DfE cover the cost of you going to watch a Pool Competition.?

34 minutes ago, Grounds Keeper Willy said:

But to the man on the street it is confusing. As I said he seems to have more pockets than a snooker table. So his wages money is his, his expenses money is his, and departmental expenses seem to be paid on top as well in many cases if I read it right. No wonder he can’t describe which pocket it’s paid out of when disclosures are made as I’m lost just trying to follow what’s been said. 

Oh, it is confusing.  But let me try - Rob only has one pocket into which goes his wages and with his wages go something called an expense allowance. The expense allowance was a cunning wheeze years ago by the Tynwald of the day to raise there wages tax free. So they called that an expense allowance. However, there's no need to explain how these expense are spent, so most MHK's pocket the money and pay any expense that come their way.

But Rob feels bad about it and tries to explain what the money's gone on.

Now, if an MHK travels on government business those costs are Government costs rather than the cost of being an MHK and the system is the Government covers those costs as well. Rob feels bad about that, especially since part of his wages includes an allowance for expenses. So instead of claiming the money back from the Government he pays this out of his own pocket rather than the Government's.

It's not his fault really -

• it's a daft selfish system
  • he didn't make it
  • he knows it's rotten and is trying to be ethical
  • he's trying to be transparent
  • in doing so he's shone a light on how daft this system and change may follow

But he's done it in such a way that he's copping all the flack, and we all pick at his expenses. Meanwhile he'll have colleagues who don't spend anything on admin expenses still get the allowance and claim Government Expenses on top of that, but no-one's challenging them.

Edited by Declan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It doesn't seem to matter if the 'expenses' are all used up or not. I guess not one of them ever returns any, so the term 'expenses' is totally wrong

• Like 1

Yes, Rob deserves a Nobel Prize for his bravery in being transparent and cutting edge social media engagement. It has revealed to us all just how little MHKs actually do and how much money they waste. We either need to get rid of some of them or give them more tasks to do.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Declan said:

Oh, it is confusing.  But let me try - Rob only has one pocket into which goes his wages and with his wages go something called an expense allowance. The expense allowance was a cunning wheeze years ago by the Tynwald of the day to raise there wages tax free. So they called that an expense allowance. However, there's no need to explain how these expense are spent, so most MHK's pocket the money and pay any expense that come their way.

But Rob feels bad about it and tries to explain what the money's gone on.

Thanks for the explanation. So if I bought a Ferrari with a lottery win while the purchase price would be paid from my personal bank account I’d say that it wouldn’t really be my personal expenditure from my taxed income. It would be me funding a Ferrari via a windfall payment that has been paid into my bank account which I didn’t pay tax on. So I guess that’s pretty much the same really. 

1 hour ago, Holte End said:

Can I ask why would DfE cover the cost of you going to watch a Pool Competition.?

Because he promised Skelly if he got it right the DFE would have the world rights to pool? As you say though why would they fund it? It was pretty much a holiday to watch a pool competition and have a chat with the organizers so why should the taxpayer (via the Department) fund it? Which is ironic really as one of the versions of reality Callister has offered above is that it was paid for on his expenses so in that case they did!

Edited by thesultanofsheight

I think they should all have to come up with justification for their expenses. For my own amusement if nothing else. Rob himself is a bit of a conundrum for me, obviously a bit of a plonker so it should be a no-brainer, but at the same time it's also quite obvious to me that there are some on here that are obsessed with ripping him to bits at every opportunity, not necessarily just because he is a plonker, there seems ulterior motive and it seems as if people are trying to manipulate my mind. Sensing this, I find myself defending the guy and taking his side, even though I think he's a plonker. Due to this same mechanism I usually end up supporting Chile or Uruguay at the world cup.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Declan said:

Meanwhile he'll have colleagues who don't spend anything on admin expenses still get the allowance and claim Government Expenses on top of that, but no-one's challenging them.

No ones challenging them I’d wager as they are being honest by saying nothing and not making up shit to try to work back to a false number that you can’t work back to as its not really an expenses payment at all as most people understand. That to me is the problem here. Making up bollocks to attempt to justify something you can’t justify makes you a bigger idiot than just saying nothing. 

Just now, the stinking enigma said:

They should all be challenged to make it up. It's our money. I at least want some entertainment out of it.

That would be a good competition actually I grant you. To see if they can come up with any shitter ideas of made up expenditure than RC. 

7 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

We all knew about it because that's where his (in)famous blog appears (though it also goes up on Facebook).  We just didn't know it took £2,000 a year to maintain (I'd assumed last year's was set-up and design costs).

It’s worse than that. His 2018 expenses itemized the cost as:

New website - £1,050

Backdating website - £1,100

Now this year the cost for running and backdating the website is - £1,840.

So this is a man who in just 2 years has spent four grand running on his own website? 

No wonder he can only afford to drive a Reliant Robin. 

Edited by Cheesy Wheezy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I think Declan's point is that it still did actually come out his own pocket.  So it's not a lie - just incredibly dumb. 

These days, RC only opens his mouth to change feet...