Population growth challenged.

Max Power

What most people really want is increased prosperity and a better quality of life, which is linked to a higher GDP and better public services (and assuming the Island remains beautiful).

If those points broadly represent the goal, there are different ways to achieve that. Many people believe growing the population is one such way. 

If the Island was a business, the shareholders would want increased profits and higher dividends. Yes, they may require more staff, but more staff is not the goal.

• Like 2

On 9/28/2018 at 12:12 PM, TheTeapot said:

Unsurprisingly woody you have completely missed the point. 

The type of people we should be trying to attract are those of the economically active group, people who are likely to have or want to have families. Therefore it is very important to have fantastic facilities for children. But yeah, I'm the clueless one

#racistmysoginistilliteratedickhead 

My animals needed a trip to the vets recently so of we went to the doggie vets and lo and behold the vet who treated my dog was a very pretty senorita from Spain,on our next trip the vet was a youngish Romanian guy,these people are the kind of quality immigrants we need not fucking carwashers and Mcdoogals fast food servers, our animals have recovered so it will be interesting to see if they stay put or decide island life is not for them,I found them both of them pleasant and they both spoke better English than some knobs from Shanghai.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, joeyconcrete said:

What most people really want is increased prosperity and a better quality of life, which is linked to a higher GDP and better public services (and assuming the Island remains beautiful).

GDP is only turnover...it does not reflect how much money is available to the average guy in the street or available for public services. Most of our GDP goes through the island but never stays here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I agree Rog, but it seems that economists are very seldom right about anything anyway!

Exactly.  That is because the paradigm in which they work seldom is adequate for what society as a whole needs.

9 minutes ago, Rog said:

Exactly.  That is because the paradigm in which they work seldom is adequate for what society as a whole needs.

Yes, everyone seems to be forecasting a cataclysmic recession beginning later this year. The Trump and Brexit effect I guess, we'll have to adjourn to this time next year to see if they are correct! 

Just now, Max Power said:

Yes, everyone seems to be forecasting a cataclysmic recession beginning later this year. The Trump and Brexit effect I guess, we'll have to adjourn to this time next year to see if they are correct! 

I doubt if the crash will take place next year or even by 2020 but by then the decline in public services and the standard of living will be undeniable.

Sadly I believe that it will take the undeniable for those presently in denial or comfortably insulated to shock the people of the island to realise that it's game as they knew it is over and that a range of presently unacceptable options to become acceptable as an alternative to just keeping calm and carrying on.

Population growth in itself is very far from being a solution because unless every immigrant results in an increase in exports greater than the cost they add to the import bill they will just add to the problem.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On an island as small as we are, the arguments for and against uncontrolled immigration are slightly different to places with much higher populations. I see the motion above was carried with a vote to throw the doors open. The problem with any debate like this, is the moment you air any negatives you may perceive, you are immediately labelled as a rabid right wing racist, hence many administrations across the western world have been unable to debate the matter to a conclusion. For me for the Isle of Man it is a simple numbers game, I have no problem with an increasing population (to a point) but we must not lose sight of why for us this may be necessary, and simply throwing the doors open without some sort of control has the potential to merely worsen our situation. Public services here are going down the toilet we must not add to their problems and sensible governance is what is required. ( I won't hold my breath !)

Edited by asitis
  • Like 2