Population growth challenged.

Max Power

19 hours ago, Max Power said:

Yes, everyone seems to be forecasting a cataclysmic recession beginning later this year. The Trump and Brexit effect I guess, we'll have to adjourn to this time next year to see if they are correct! 

a recession is overdue but nothing to do with exit.......

Just been watching UK Chancellor Philip Hammond announce on Sky News that following Brexit, taxes will have to rise to fund the UK NHS.

Did I miss something? Wasn't Brexit going to free up £350M a year for the NHS?

9 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Just been watching UK Chancellor Philip Hammond announce on Sky News that following Brexit, taxes will have to rise to fund the UK NHS.

the nhs has already had that since the vote.....

17 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

No.  That is NOT what was writ on the infamous bus.

10 minutes ago, Rog said:

No.  That is NOT what was writ on the infamous bus.

You're right, I've just googled it.

It was £350M a week. "Let's fund the NHS instead".

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit

25 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

You're right, I've just googled it.

It was £350M a week. "Let's fund the NHS instead".

The full item read

“We send the EU £350 million a week. Let’s fund our NHS instead"     That did NOT constitute a promise to transfer that funding anywhere.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rog said:

The full item read

“We send the EU £350 million a week. Let’s fund our NHS instead"     That did NOT constitute a promise to transfer that funding anywhere.  

Would you accept that it wouldn't be wrong to say it was somewhat ambiguous? I suspect many read it as 350 million for the NHS and don't doubt that was the intention. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, mojomonkey said:

Would you accept that it wouldn't be wrong to say it was somewhat ambiguous? I suspect many read it as 350 million for the NHS and don't doubt that was the intention. 

Quite probably deliberately ambiguous. Such is the nature of politicians everywhere.

35 minutes ago, Rog said:

The full item read

Give it a rest Rog.

It didn't say that. However as you clearly want to play semantics it said:

“We send the EU £350 million a week let’s fund our NHS instead"

What else can you expect from a bunch of mendacious, self-serving, untrustworthy, brexit-blinded chancers who would sell their own country down The Swannee for personal ambition...?

The more we get into the truth of what brexit actually involves the more the brexiteers' Unicorn comes across as a tired whitewashed old donkey with a dildo on it's head....

18 minutes ago, mojomonkey said:

Hmm, I can't see any full stop here and the lack of a capital L suggests it wasn't a new sentence. Terrible grammar though.

brexit-bus-e1511953625149.jpg

Very true.  Indeed the absence of the full stop emphasises if anything that there is no committment to use that wasted cash that has to be borrowed because of deficit budgets to further fund the NHS.  

The important thing is that we get out of the profoundly undemocratic EU as quickly and as completely as can be done.  The unwanted and unmanaged membership of the EU has brought nothing but disaster after disaster to the UK as a nation.

To add quite literally insult to injury it now turns out that we had the massive adverse exposure resulting from membership deliberately withheld from us.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/882881/Brexit-EU-secret-document-truth-British-public 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would have said that 40 years membership of the European union has brought great prosperity to the UK, improved standards in general, made the UK more out looking in general as well.

I am trying to think of the disasters brought on us by membership and so far failed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, NoTail said:

I would have said that 40 years membership of the European union has brought great prosperity to the UK, improved standards in general, made the UK more out looking in general as well.

I am trying to think of the disasters brought on us by membership and so far failed.

Start with our forced open borders. Then throw in our loss of sovereignty. Our loss of rights to our fisheries, EU quota constraints that saw our orchards destroyed our fishing fleet literally burnt on the shores, the list just goes on and on.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, NoTail said:

"There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know"

*courtesy of Jonathan Swift 1738

• Thanks 2