Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
hagar the horrible

Enterprise Development Scheme.

3 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

According to a couple of things I read earlier that ended in 2008.

nope- i have a empty warehouse........

21 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Completely making this up, but I suspect they don't, and that the landlords are able to write the rent off as a charitable donation for tax reasons.

None of the charity shops are small independent tin rattling volunteer driven church fete type entities - they are mainly international multi million pound operations don't be fooled -  rent is a business expense as are salaries see link.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/salarysurvey/table/0,12406,1042677,00.html

Jonathan Stansfield and his Living Hope Racket are a charity - the Third Sector is a multi billion pound industry.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

None of the charity shops are small independent tin rattling volunteer driven church fete type entities - they are mainly international multi million pound operations don't be fooled -  rent is a business expense as are salaries see link.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/salarysurvey/table/0,12406,1042677,00.html

Jonathan Stansfield and his Living Hope Racket are a charity - the Third Sector is a multi billion pound industry.

Actually that's not so true in the Isle of Man. Small independent charities abound, the ManxSPCA is an example with a couple of small shops, Crossroads Care has one, Manx Blind Welfare has one, Manx Wildlife Trust has one, the Hospice has several and the independent Peel Charity Shop raises money for a bundle of Manx charities.  Not an exhaustive list, I'm sure there will be some I've missed.

Yes some of the big UK charities have shops here, but many of the charity shops are manned by volunteers for small IoM charities.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, rodders said:

Oxfam actually owned their shop, so rent was not the problem! They did pay the shop manager but I think the rest were volunteers. The shop is now "Sold" on Chapman's website, the asking price was £295K.

1 minute ago, craggy_steve said:

Actually that's not so true in the Isle of Man. Small independent charities abound, the ManxSPCA is an example with a couple of small shops, Crossroads Care has one, Manx Blind Welfare has one, Manx Wildlife Trust has one, the Hospice has several and the independent Peel Charity Shop raises money for a bundle of Manx charities.  Not an exhaustive list, I'm sure there will be some I've missed.

Yes some of the big UK charities have shops here, but many of the charity shops are manned by volunteers for small IoM charities.

Agreed but it was about Strand Street rents - all charity shops are staffed by volunteers that is the business model.

Hospice IOM has an astonishing turnover and a £70k MD - it is a business and one that does much good for many people at all stages of life.

But reassess your thoughts on what "Charity " actually is - for example the annual Xmas shoebox appeal that many offices flock to is run by Samaritans Purse -  a right wing USA homophobic / anti everything Private Jet owning evangelical mega church - not "The Samaritans" that many think.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Agreed but it was about Strand Street rents - all charity shops are staffed by volunteers that is the business model.

Hospice IOM has an astonishing turnover and a £70k MD - it is a business and one that does much good for many people at all stages of life.

But reassess your thoughts on what "Charity " actually is - for example the annual Xmas shoebox appeal that many offices flock to is run by Samaritans Purse -  a right wing USA homophobic / anti everything Private Jet owning evangelical mega church - not "The Samaritans" that many think.

I'm well aware of what goes on in the Charity sector, had (unpaid) board roles in "large" charities across and a here ("large" being a relative adjective).  And yes, there are numerous large, fat and frankly not very worthy charities gulling folks out of their money for dubious missions - but that is not characteristic of most Manx charities including those Manx charities with shops. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, craggy_steve said:

Yes, there are plenty of excellent, small local charities here who are worthy of support. Many large UK ones have almost completely lost sight of their reasons to exist.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

And now it seems the EDS has created 1000 new jobs. Does anyone believe any of this shit?

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/enterprise-schemes-pay-out-11-2m-to-create-jobs/

£11,222.45 per job created

Obviously, no one believes stats from DfE anymore

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Obviously, no one believes stats from DfE anymore

DfE is no longer fit for purpose.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It will all be covered by commercial confidentiality, so no way to find out. You do need to have schemes of this sort though, and they do bring benefits in the long term. I speak from experience in this. It can be a tipping point to have an enterprise come to your jurisdiction rather than another. Whether they would have done so regardless and whether the business would have been as successful with or without assistance will always remain moot points.