Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
BallaDoc

E-gaming is a sector we can be proud of, says Quayle

57 minutes ago, MrPB said:

Yes but it’s the boasting that comes with the illusory wealth that annoys me. I actually met a self proclaimed bitcoin billionaire in South Africa a while ago. He still didn’t seem to have a pot to piss in like anyone else either despite his virtual bank vault of largely worthless tokens. I suppose he could have bought a pint in the Thirsty Pigeon though if he could have used some of his worthless tokens to buy a plane ticket to the IOM. 

Or he could have gone to a licensed and reputable intermediary and exchanged it for a currency of his choice. So that story doesn't ring true, on either his side or yours.  

16 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Cool, on that logic let's ban all fiat money. More USD and GBP are used for illegal purposes than Bitcoin, but the sensationalist narrative makes better headlines for wannabe journalists.

1 hour ago, Lxxx said:

Why does that narrative bother you so much?

I wouldn't use the word "bother" more wary. What are the KYC requirements to move bitcoins around? Is it as stringent as required by High Street banks?

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

Cool, on that logic let's ban all fiat money. More USD and GBP are used for illegal purposes than Bitcoin, but the sensationalist narrative makes better headlines for wannabe journalists.

Guessing you have a stash of bitcoins then?

21 minutes ago, RIchard Britten said:

Notwell in "old people scared of something new that they don't understand" shocker...

get somebody to explain it to you then...

Just now, Neil Down said:

get somebody to explain it to you then...

I am full conversant with bitcoin and the mining thereof.

You're one who seems to be "yelling at clouds" about it

1 hour ago, Grounds Keeper Willy said:

Is that an actual fact though? Genuinely interested. I can’t see why anyone undertaking legitimate activity would want or need to acquire bitcoin. 

Well there's way more USD and GBP than there will ever be BTC, and I know first hand that the amount of questionable transactions on the BTC network is drastically lower than most people think and the media want you to believe. Also, all transactions are public, meaning there are tools to track illicit activity. Bitcoin is still young tech and very much in its infancy, as is the whole crypto / blockchain area. There's much more to come and the fact that I can have digital my money in my pocket (the actual money, not a promise by a bank to look after it for me) and send it to another person anywhere on earth within minutes with minimal fees or fuzz is just one of the great uses of it. Like the old saying goes: you ain't seen nothing yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

Well there's way more USD and GBP than there will ever be BTC, and I know first hand that the amount of questionable transactions on the BTC network is drastically lower than most people think and the media want you to believe. Also, all transactions are public, meaning there are tools to track illicit activity. Bitcoin is still young tech and very much in its infancy, as is the whole crypto / blockchain area. There's much more to come and the fact that I can have digital my money in my pocket (the actual money, not a promise by a bank to look after it for me) and send it to another person anywhere on earth within minutes with minimal fees or fuzz is just one of the great uses of it. Like the old saying goes: you ain't seen nothing yet.

Could you expand on that and explain why bitcoin/crypto currency is the favoured currency on the dark webb (according to law officials)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thesultanofsheight said:

A07F7DDD-9708-4B1F-A85A-1FC866A150A0.jpeg

13da82.jpg

7 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

You seem to be awfully angry all.of a sudden Neil. You were doing so well too for a while. 

Let’s see if I understand this correctly. You post against somebody and that’s okay. Poster responds and they are awfully angry. Excellent. Next, Buzz Lightyear will appear issuing a ban. Is this how it works...

• Confused 1