Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
BallaDoc

E-gaming is a sector we can be proud of, says Quayle

24 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

Again, for clarity, why are you so personally wary about something you don't appear to understand?

I'm wary about any kind of "currency" that can be moved/banked by terrorists and criminals alike. Yes, I am aware that our normal currency can be used in the same way but the stringent AML rules negates a great bulk of it

13 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

I'm wary about any kind of "currency" that can be moved/banked by terrorists and criminals alike. Yes, I am aware that our normal currency can be used in the same way but the stringent AML rules negates a great bulk of it

Bollocks.

May I refer you to HSBC and the Sinaloa Cartel, as an example.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Bollocks.

May I refer you to HSBC and the Sinaloa Cartel, as an example.

You may find that since that occurred (in Mexico) AML was tightened yet again. 

3 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

You may find that since that occurred (in Mexico) AML was tightened yet again. 

That'll stop it!

1 minute ago, TheTeapot said:

That'll stop it!

No it won't but it will be better regulated than bitcoin

5 hours ago, Lxxx said:

Again, for clarity, why are you so personally wary about something you don't appear to understand?

Aren’t people always wary about things they don’t understand? 

16 minutes ago, MrPB said:

Aren’t people always wary about things they don’t understand? 

Being wary does not relate to not understanding

Still no comments on the forthcoming UK legislation regarding the ban on on-line betting using a credit card?  It's coming in 14th April this year.

On 1/14/2020 at 9:13 AM, Rog said:

I wonder what effect the start of the clamp down on e-gambling by HMG that comes into force on the 14th of April this year will have.  I note that the financial sector in the UK is being drawn in.  Could be (should be) the start of something big.

On 1/14/2020 at 10:17 AM, Amadeus said:

You mean to ban gambling with credit cards? A long overdue move really. Bookmakers aren't allowed to give credit usually, so why allow credit by proxy? Seeing payment methods banned is nothing unusual. Quite a few banks and whole regions already ban the use of certain cards or methods. In any case, this is good for Bitcoin.

It's amazing how often you see this behaviour.  Someone asks a question, it gets answered quickly and sensibly and the questioner goes on as if nothing has happens and then complains bitterly how no one has replied.  It's almost as if the point was to whinge about how badly they were being treated rather than to obtain information.  But then well-off people complaining how badly they are treated over imaginary situations that they're not actually suffering from, has filled the papers for years, so you can see where people get it from.

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's amazing how often you see this behaviour.  Someone asks a question, it gets answered quickly and sensibly and the questioner goes on as if nothing has happens and then complains bitterly how no one has replied.  It's almost as if the point was to whinge about how badly they were being treated rather than to obtain information.  But then well-off people complaining how badly they are treated over imaginary situations that they're not actually suffering from, has filled the papers for years, so you can see where people get it from.

Well not really.  Bitcoin would obviously be one way around this but the effect of this change in the law are likely to be far reaching as it also affects high street gambling which will affect the gambling sector as a whole.  It also is the start of a sea change where gambling is concerned which may well sweep up the Manx economy as it runs it's course.

47 minutes ago, Rog said:

Well not really.  Bitcoin would obviously be one way around this but the effect of this change in the law are likely to be far reaching as it also affects high street gambling which will affect the gambling sector as a whole.  It also is the start of a sea change where gambling is concerned which may well sweep up the Manx economy as it runs it's course.

I think he’s suggesting that it’s good for bitcoin because banks can still block certain industries and transaction codes (like gambling) in relation to debit cards whereas, as we know, you could buy a whacking big bag of smack on the dark web with bitcoin and nobody would give a shit. 

3 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I think he’s suggesting that it’s good for bitcoin because banks can still block certain industries and transaction codes (like gambling) in relation to debit cards whereas, as we know, you could buy a whacking big bag of smack on the dark web with bitcoin and nobody would give a shit. 

Very true but it's bound to affect the people who are running up huge debts because it's so easy to do and that will mean it's bound to hit the Manx gambling sector.  If this is the first step in the clamping down on the gambling that bastard Blair let lose then that will be a VERY good thing for the British people though is bound to at least knock a pretty substantial dent in the Manx e-gaming sector, a thing that is absolutely NOT a thing to be proud.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rog said:

Very true but it's bound to affect the people who are running up huge debts because it's so easy to do and that will mean it's bound to hit the Manx gambling sector.  If this is the first step in the clamping down on the gambling that bastard Blair let lose then that will be a VERY good thing for the British people though is bound to at least knock a pretty substantial dent in the Manx e-gaming sector, a thing that is absolutely NOT a thing to be proud.

You could still go to Barclays and get a £10k unsecured loan for a car and blow it all playing online poker. 

14 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

You could still go to Barclays and get a £10k unsecured loan for a car and blow it all playing online poker. 

Very true, but at least it's a start in the right direction.