Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
gettafa

...handing it out to those who need it or those that are just taking it

Howard was talking about money in connection with battling poverty.

He makes a good point of course. No one wants to see money distributed where it isn't needed. But I do wonder if he should apply the same principles to the vast sums of money thrown at landowners, many of whom certainly "DO NOT NEED IT BUT WHO ARE JUST TAKING IT" and indeed in his own case having property refurbished with government grants for building 'holiday' accommodation.

Howard was interviewed on Manx Radio Mandate at 5. Here is an mp3 of Howard's words:  20181015 Mandate at 5 Howard Quayle and the poor.mp3

Howard is having ever faithful rent-a-brain Minister Thomas do a "thorough review" and "produce a report" on this.

Perhaps Minister Thomas would be better employed doing a thorough review and report into the Countryside Care Scheme or whatever it has been euphemistically renamed as? 

The scheme is, after all, due for a review this year. 

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Perhaps both of them would be better employed anywhere other than in our government. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Speaks volumes when the number of suggestions for the Government's SAVE initiative that involved reducing or culling farmer's grants far outstripped most other suggestions...and were roundly ignored.

I bet CCS perpetrator Gawney's busy writing letters and making phone calls around his ex-Tynwald buddies to garner as much support as he can for its retention, if it is up for review. And it won't be hard for him.

• Thanks 4

Phil has a new career now, he was on MR this morning with a new Manx show explaining all about Winnie the witch it was fascinating....the on about scooping turnips out with a sharp spoon, reminding me of the time an electric hand drill was used in our household with disastrous results.   The only bright spot was the Radio doctor gave the show a swerve this morning.   How much money is Phil getting ? If he is doing it for love and trying to promote the Manx language fair enough but it was like Hospital Radio or even worse.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

, if it is up for review.

Yep, it is ready for review before 2019 (scroll down a bit to question and answer on this).

I note the whole scheme has supposedly had a few 'reviews' (excuse me, but what exactly is a review - it's bollocks to make out something has been thoroughly looked at. A total and utter bollocks word loved by Government and its departments).

The scheme was supposed to have an overall 'review' after 10 years. Maybe it will just have another change of name.

• Like 1

Tynwald definition of a "review" - Have a quick skeet but if it looks like it's going to affect mates or the club too much, quick burst of bullshit to baffle the plebs and put them off the scent and leave well alone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Forgive my cynicism, but this current crop (and previous ones) have spent their entire tenures looking after each other. Nothing looks like changing any time soon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It is that open transparent and honest that the whole thing is not subject to the FOI and is carried out in secret ! make of that what you will.

I don't believe that public money should be dished out without those who provide the money i.e. the taxpayers being able to see an open and honest report of to who it has gone and why !

.... and don't get me started on the commercial confidentiality ruse !!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Speaks volumes when the number of suggestions for the Government's SAVE initiative that involved reducing or culling farmer's grants far outstripped most other suggestions...and were roundly ignored.

I bet CCS perpetrator Gawney's busy writing letters and making phone calls around his ex-Tynwald buddies to garner as much support as he can for its retention, if it is up for review. And it won't be hard for him.

I bet you’re right. So glad Gawne never got back in. Things are bad enough. Can you imagine where we’d be if that yessir plonker was CM? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:
3 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

I bet you’re right. So glad Gawne never got back in. Things are bad enough. Can you imagine where we’d be if that yessir plonker was CM? 

http://www.tynwald.org.im/memoff/former/Pages/GawnePA.aspx

Smarter than most of his detractors and most of The House too,:thumbsup:

Outstanding example of what would appear to be almost an entire career spent in or living off the Public Service (to include billing the taxpayer £400k+ annually for the Manx Language School bit). With the exception of what appears to have been a short spell as a trainee accountant and then a self employed dry stone waller (change of career "direction" if ever there was one?). And a bit of porridge (paid for by the taxpayer, obviously). Other than that, self-serving local establishment born and bred. And he's done his bit to look after them in return too, hasn't he?

Notable achievements in office for the GENERAL good, anybody?

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, dilligaf said:

The man is a total bell end whose only real experience is as a dry stone waller. He would have been the worst CM we ever had. Even more useless than Tony Brown. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight

Just now, thesultanofsheight said:
1 hour ago, dilligaf said:

The man is a total bell end. He would have been the worst CM we ever had. Even more useless than Tony Brown. 

I like him, so I will duck out of this, as the more I say he is smart, the more the idiots try to belittle him. ( and me ). 

I don't think anyone is doubting the lad's smartness, dili.

He was quick to snuggle in with the establishment despite being elected on his previous form as a bit of a bad boy (the electorate likes them sorts, especially at a by-election). He soon got help to suck his way up that greasy pole and while doing it made sure there was plenty of government cash for all his pals. He beguiled all of Tynwald in 2008 to commit £millions per year to landowners,  in summary on the premise that we would all die of starvation if we didn't give then all those £millions.

Oh, he was smart alright. But in particular the rest of Tynwald were less smart.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

The man is a total bell end whose only real experience is as a dry stone waller. He would have been the worst CM we ever had. Even more useless than Tony Brown. 

In the UK wising up to the VAT scam Mr Brown had the perfect opportunity to "rightsize" the CS/PS and he unashamedly ducked it.

Someone more useless is difficult to imagine but not impossible. I mean, look at the last intake....

As to Mr Gawne in the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king....

• Thanks 1