Jump to content
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
madmanx90

Are Screwfix coming ???

Recommended Posts

Never underestimate some of the stupidity on t'internet. 

However, the difference in cost is because they chose to wreck the budget non-XR Dewalt. They make a metal gearbox brushless version of this which would have been a fairer but still stupid test.

Can't believe I'm talking about power tools on here. Time to switch the computer off and go for a walk.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bought a model similar to this 10-12 years ago. It has never let me down. I've chased many walls with it, bored out cores for pipework up to 65mm. Even after the hammering it's had the chuck still spins without a wobble, the SDS lock is tight as the day I bought it, for £99 new. Came with 2 24v batteries (replaced 4 years ago, the two new batteries actually cost more than the unit itself) and a selection of chisel-bits (still used) and a torch. Cheap as chips. Had Hitachi, Makita and de Walt in the past, all good makes but without the longevity of the Erbauer. In a sense it's made its money many times over. In fact the only disadvantage is its weight, it's about twice as heavy as most other makes...

thumb_833141_product_catalog_large.jpeg

Edited by quilp
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, quilp said:

Bought a model similar to this 10-12 years ago. It has never let me down. I've chased many walls with it, bored out cores for pipework up to 65mm. Even after the hammering it's had the chuck still spins without a wobble, the SDS lock is tight as the day I bought it, for £99 new. Came with 2 24v batteries (replaced 4 years ago, the two new batteries actually cost more than the unit itself) and a selection of chisel-bits (still used) and a torch. Cheap as chips. Had Hitachi, Makita and de Walt in the past, all good makes but without the longevity of the Erbauer. In a sense it's made its money many times over. In fact the only disadvantage is its weight, it's about twice as heavy as most other makes...

thumb_833141_product_catalog_large.jpeg

So a cheap drill and a gym workout. Win win I’d say...:thumbsup:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of the power tool snobbery you see on-site is hilarious. The industrial equivalent of women discussing Jimmy Choo against Saxone. 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, quilp said:

Some of the power tool snobbery you see on-site is hilarious. The industrial equivalent of women discussing Jimmy Choo against Saxone. 

Totally agree, my McAllister sds/breaker (cabled - £35) is absolutely superb and is better than my dewalt one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was over-stretched and straddling atop a 12-tread set of steps once, cutting one of 40 or so chase's, for a break-glass with the Erbauer on hammer only, up a block wall, on a landing at the top of a long set of concrete stairs (local school). Stupidly I stretched too far, lost my balance and grip on the drill and down went I, drill and all. I managed to land (breaking my foot in the process) without ending up down the stairs. The drill however, with the trigger lock in place and still hammering away, hit the ground beside me chisel first, bounced-up, smashed me in the face breaking my nose good-style and chipping a tooth. It then carried on, picking up momentum and bouncing down those concrete steps right to the bottom. When it stopped, it was still going. Apart from a few scratches and a hairline crack on the grip it remained unscathed.

Unlike myself.

Did I mention it was bought through Screwfix and made in China?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, quilp said:

. When it stopped, it was still going.

takes a sec to get that.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well nothing as spectacular as quilp's day but I lost my old dewalt 18v cordless that had been worked hard for 5 years. I though some bstard had nicked it so bought another. 

It was found next summer on our flat roof where I'd left it nearly a year previously. Still works perfectly (albeit with a new battery now) 10 years later.

Edited by ballaughbiker
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Chris C said:

Dewalt stuff used to be good, not had much luck with it in the last 10 or so years though. 

If you buy B&Q Dewalt then you will get a cheap shoddy version. They’re made for the “sheds” at a price

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, quilp said:

was over-stretched and straddling atop a 12-tread set of steps once, cutting one of 40 o

Now you see, Women would never wear their Jimmy Choos to do a job like that. It would be their more sensible Clarkes Flats!

Maybe they are the master race? Masters of conduit chasing anyway!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...