Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
madmanx90

Are Screwfix coming ???

2 hours ago, Neil Down said:

If you buy B&Q Dewalt then you will get a cheap shoddy version. They’re made for the “sheds” at a price

Yeah that's true, but even their professional offerings are of very dubious quality these days. I never buy it anymore,  have had too many problems with it.

40 minutes ago, Chris C said:

Yeah that's true, but even their professional offerings are of very dubious quality these days. I never buy it anymore,  have had too many problems with it.

Fortunately, I bought mine a few years ago from a genuine De Walt outlet. It was bound to happen sooner or later though Chris. Everybody wants something for nothing so the first to suffer is quality

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris C said:
4 hours ago, Neil Down said:

If you buy B&Q Dewalt then you will get a cheap shoddy version. They’re made for the “sheds” at a price

Are you two sure that a firm like Dewalt make inferior quality goods for sale in discount outlets. I find that quite hard to believe.

13 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Are you two sure that a firm like Dewalt make inferior quality goods for sale in discount outlets. I find that quite hard to believe.

I believe it.

A company like Dewalt would know that somewhere like B&Q only get the non-professional buyers thus they deliberately produce sub-standard kit to sell in these outlets secure in the knowledge that the Billy Bunters wouldn't know what bang to expect for their buck....

Clearly some folks have absolutely no idea about the value of branding.

Just for the record I think Screwfix are excellent and asking a B&Q floor-walker for advice is a clear admission of desperation....

1 minute ago, P.K. said:

I believe it.

A company like Dewalt would know that somewhere like B&Q only get the non-professional buyers thus they deliberately produce sub-standard kit to sell in these outlets secure in the knowledge that the Billy Bunters wouldn't know what bang to expect for their buck....

Clearly some folks have absolutely no idea about the value of branding.

Just for the record I think Screwfix are excellent and asking a B&Q floor-walker for advice is a clear admission of desperation....

That is beyond argument. ;)

However I have to say that I see a lot of professional tradesmen buying their stuff at B & Q.

If top manufacturers want to put their reputation on the line to sell more "inferior" items, that is a massive shot in the foot for them.

If it is more like Diahatsu now being called Chevrolet after a buyout then that is surely commercial suicide.

• Like 1

Use Milwaukee !  problem solved !!

I do know that some of the cheaper end De Walt has nylon gearing as opposed to metal on the older pro stuff !

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dilligaf said:

If it is more like Diahatsu now being called Chevrolet after a buyout then that is surely commercial suicide.

Thought Daihatsu was owned by Toyota? Do you mean Daewoo?

44 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Thought Daihatsu was owned by Toyota? Do you mean Daewoo?

You are correct.

9 hours ago, dilligaf said:

A local builder who I would consider reliable told me years ago that even top brand paints such as Dulux make specific lower quality product for B&Q and other similar outlets.

4 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

A local builder who I would consider reliable told me years ago that even top brand paints such as Dulux make specific lower quality product for B&Q and other similar outlets.

But maybe under stores own brand

2 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I was told not; under the Dulux name. I guess it could be an urban myth but the builder said don’t buy so called quality brands from the big superstore outlets as they simply aren’t the same quality. 

Edited by Uhtred
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Not at all Dilli. Even Karcher make a cheaper model for the sheds

On 12/26/2018 at 10:12 AM, quilp said:

the SDS lock is tight as the day I bought it, 

Inexplicably thought of the wife when I read that. Right out of the blue it came. Now I feel compelled to know whether she would be flattered or exasperated at this spontaneous association of concepts. I think I am just going to have to broach the subject as imperceptibly as possible at a suitably intimate moment. If I don't get back on this, you'll know that she wasn't flattered.

• Haha 3

On 12/26/2018 at 1:15 PM, ballaughbiker said:

Well nothing as spectacular as quilp's day but I lost my old dewalt 18v cordless that had been worked hard for 5 years. I though some bstard had nicked it so bought another. 

It was found next summer on our flat roof where I'd left it nearly a year previously. Still works perfectly (albeit with a new battery now) 10 years later.

disappointed :rolleyes:

i though you were gonna blame exit like you do with any other problem......

5 hours ago, Uhtred said:

I was told not; under the Dulux name. I guess it could be an urban myth but the builder said don’t buy so called quality brands from the big superstore outlets as they simply aren’t the same quality. 

dulux own trade counter stuff is different.......