Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
madmanx90

Are Screwfix coming ???

14 hours ago, maynragh said:

In a different league to pretty much everything else. Price to match. And you cannot get it in Screwfix! I found the UK dealer a bit difficult to deal with but you can get it direct from Germany. 

That's strange - I've always found the UK dealer very helpful - very knowledgable and personal service - I've bought a full set of Mafell from them.

Edited by Manximus Aururaneus

13 hours ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

That's strange - I've always found the UK dealer very helpful - very knowledgable and personal service - I've bought a full set of Mafell from them.

Admittedly it's been a few years since I bought anything new (before anyone else in the UK was selling it), but the last time I did I was passed over to another company to handle the sale - so not actually through the authorised UK agent as far as I could tell, which I wasn't really happy with. There was some fuzzy reasoning given (I guessed to split liability), but I needed one of the machines urgently so didn't have much choice. At the end of the day I reasoned I had the paper trail to take back to Mafell if I needed it - which of course I haven't. I also had an old machine fully rebuilt in 2012 at the cost of nearly a grand (the machine is probably older than me, and has been worked hard), only to have to have it rebuilt again in 2015 (again nearly a grand) for items that really should have been sorted the first time. I've also had quotes for basic stuff like sharpening double with no explanation given. Always pleasant to deal with, I guess I've just been unlucky!

I know they don't like it if you go direct to Germany (the bigger kit is so rare they actually monitor social media and will contact you if they see new machines in the UK), but they won't come down anywhere close to the prices you can get - and it's not cheap even in Germany. Postage isn't that bad either!

47 minutes ago, scrawl said:

The Eagle has landed...

Douglas harbour tonight

screwfix.jpg

Not quite...the right hand half of the trailer says “You”.

• Haha 4

That's a lot of screws!

What are we going to do with them all?

It'll help the wifes arms though. She's been holding that ceiling up for 25 years!!!

17 minutes ago, Kopek said:

That's a lot of screws!

Hold the Island's economy together.

• Like 5

I think that'll need gold not brass!

1 hour ago, Kopek said:

That's a lot of screws!

It'll help the wifes arms though. She's been holding that ceiling up for 25 years!!!

I normally get anything in 48 hours max from their online store. I can’t see how much extra business they’ll get here after the cost of setting up and running a physical store to be honest. 

Lots I’m guessing ,  as most people want their building equipment at the time, not in 48 hours. Hence the existence of building suppliers and b&q 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Hold the Island's economy together.

not enough trailers for that.

screw fix and BnQ are the same group,  it is just different livery,  don't expect it to be some great trade deal place, it won't be.

They were busy setting up yesterday  already fully branded unit behind b and q, put my head in the door and opens next Thursday they said!

Called in today and got exactly what we wanted.

Posted (edited)

Just saw a cleaning company advertising on Facebook for someone to work at Screwfix. 5 hours a week (1 hour a day). £9.33 an hour.

So they expect someone to make their way to Screwfix to earn just £9.33 a day? That must be before Tax & NI. Shocking. 

Edited by Terminal