The Cosy Nook Cafe Port Erin

paswt

40 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

The existing structure is a worthless pile of bastardized crap. It’s in a shit state and is a particularly inappropriate food outlet. It has no heritage or architectural substance. The attempt to ‘save’ it is rooted in political cowardice, cynicism and electioneering. All three are in regular supply. In fact, it’s the perfect metaphor of the current state of Manx politics. 

Exactly Watterson is getting involved in all sorts of rubbish just because it’s election year 

The Close Leece Farm cafe is well done - an original cottage/barn with a modern extension out the back. Also Salmon Lake cafe by the Laxey Wheel.

I agree re Watterson. Not said a peep about local issues for years, then suddenly pipes up about the Post Office and Cosy Nook when there's an election coming up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Uhtred said:

The existing structure is a worthless pile of bastardized crap. It’s in a shit state and is a particularly inappropriate food outlet. It has no heritage or architectural substance. The attempt to ‘save’ it is rooted in political cowardice, cynicism and electioneering. All three are in regular supply. In fact, it’s the perfect metaphor of the current state of Manx politics. 

"Cosy Nook has a special place in port’s history"

BAR103 2020-07-14 Cosy Nook - at the the heart of Port Erin.pdf (abc.org.im)

4 hours ago, Get a life said:

Buildings should be registered if they are architecturally important. Does this apply to the Cost Nook? No. A hideous extension on the front of the building together with modern windows. Add in the damp and the size making it unsuitable as a cafe. 

Do I like the replacement plans? They could be improved. Take a lesson from The Sound. I am sure when that building was proposed there would have been negative comments, but look how popular it is. The new Cosy Nook could be a fantastic modern facility for the community and visitors. 

Yes I agree. Best to have a new modern/contemporary building that does not try to imitate the old.

An example of a poor imitation is the newish houses at the bottom of Glen Falcon. They attempt to mimic the 3 story houses opposite. Goodness knows what the planners are thinking. It just doesn't work and they look terrible. Same with the houses at the rear of the terrace. Horrible imitations

Look at the contemporary houses at Bradda. Fantastic houses and nothing like Manx Cottages.

Sure the Cosy Nook plan might need some tweaking but I'd rather have something strikingly modern than some crappy imitation/botch up

1 hour ago, SleepyJoe said:

Th only reason it is the heart of Port Erin for many folks it was where they had their first knee trembler with the young ladies who would have been working on the Island during it's tourism heyday in the 60/70s.

26 minutes ago, Beelzebub3 said:

Th only reason it is the heart of Port Erin for many folks it was where they had their first knee trembler with the young ladies who would have been working on the Island during it's tourism heyday in the 60/70s.

*Ahem*...70/80s too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AlanShimmin said:

Pull it down / Don't pull it down

Whatever happens to it, there needs to be an end to the saga. 

Why do minor issues like this take forever and a day to get resolved? 

Have a look at this Wiki article - it sums up the Isle of Man in all of its government guises.

"The time spent on any item of the agenda will be in inverse proportion to the sum [of money] involved."

The Cosy Nook is a bike shed, and the Liverpool landing stage is an atomic reactor.  How much debate will relate to each theme?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AlanShimmin said:

Pull it down / Don't pull it down

Whatever happens to it, there needs to be an end to the saga. 

Why do minor issues like this take forever and a day to get resolved? 

Reminiscing over school days and the people from the past, I once asked the lad Cubby, he of JCK fame, if he ever went in The Eagle (pub/hotel on Port Erin).

"Went in it? I pulled the bladdy thing down" he proudly said.

That said a lot to me on a number of different levels. I think Port Erin, and many of my generation and before, saw Port Erin die when The Eagle was demolished. After that, who really cared if The Snaefell, The Hydro, The Belle Vue etc came down? To be replaced by the ugliest carbuncles that have ever graced the drawing boards of the inadequate but clearly cost conscientious design minds of Dandara et al.

Some things are worth fighting for, but this one is a last gasp at preserving the long gone past of Port Erin.

One day I will ask Cubby if he ever went into the Cosy Nook cafe. And he will look me straight back in the eye and tell me exactly what he did with it.

5 hours ago, SleepyJoe said:

Overblown repetitive Tosh. That article says ‘It’s old, and it can be seen in quite a few images of the village. So it’s thus super-important’. Bollocks. It’s old alright...and shite. And yes of course it’s in images of the village, simply because it’s there. FFS.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1