Jump to content

The Cosy Nook Cafe Port Erin


Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, Rhumsaa said:

There might be a shortage of premises with a good size and modern facilities - I'm not sure as to the many reasons some shops remain vacant and others have remained used.

As for retail rates. I am unaware of rates being the main driver for a business to start or fail. Change of retail rates would need legislative reform. It was mooted during the recent consultation on rates reform to move towards an all island commercial rate. 

Of course no matter how the changes come about, if the retail rates are reduced or removed from the LA then residents rates will increase to cover the shortfall.

High rents on top of high rates

22 hours ago, Rhumsaa said:

Courthouse is a registered building though....

As for industrial space - completely agree that Ramsey needs some more industry and job options. The owner of the Gladstone Industrial estate recently applied to rezone part of the land as residential interestingly...... seemed an odd move after building some new large units.

Of course the main issue is Ramsey is running out of space for any such development on the edges

What about the site on old river road? Could get some nice and stylish light industrial units on there. 

22 hours ago, Rhumsaa said:

well in this example I'd be against taking a government imposed loss of income stream and answering that by making staff redundant

Aside from that on a broader base to reduce costs you have to find efficiencies or reduce services. Staff costs are the biggest cost and that will be the case in every organisation. It's incredibly easy to say reduce staffing costs, the reality is make a role and therefore a person redundant to save arguably between 4p and 9p on the rates depending on the position, you'd have to be very sure that the existing workforce could carry on without that person being employed. The other way of looking at it is to see if the existing staff can do more within their role - that is possible however would have no immediate direct impact on costs and because of the way the CS job specs work if you change roles the job spec can get regraded.....

It's a complicated matter with no simple solutions unfortunately, buy me a coffee some time and I'll bore you for hours about it (and sell you a nice camping stove).

Northumberland Council laid off 600 when the financial crash happened. 

 

Northumberland is still there...

 

The IOM could be an exemplar in the running of public services if it so chose

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Are there any other shitholes we can look to get registered just for a laugh?

Well the Cosy Nook has officially been added to the protected buildings register so a shitty derelict cottage partially obscured by a cheaply constructed serving hatch and a toilet block will be here

The existing structure is a worthless pile of bastardized crap. It’s in a shit state and is a particularly inappropriate food outlet. It has no heritage or architectural substance. The attempt to ‘sav

Posted Images

They did this last year....

607997d59c351.jpg

Port Erin could be getting a new pop-up bar at the Cosy Nook Café - if plans are approved.

The Foraging Vintners have applied for permission to use the courtyard on the site for a temporary bar.

In its application, the company says it would put up a marquee and install decking on the beachfront eatery.

If the proposals are given the green light, the facility would open on May 15 until October.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Major Rushen said:

They did this last year....

607997d59c351.jpg

Port Erin could be getting a new pop-up bar at the Cosy Nook Café - if plans are approved.

The Foraging Vintners have applied for permission to use the courtyard on the site for a temporary bar.

In its application, the company says it would put up a marquee and install decking on the beachfront eatery.

If the proposals are given the green light, the facility would open on May 15 until October.

When you look at that photograph, you have to ask what all the fuss is about? The building has been mucked about with and looks horrible. 

This island's problem seems to be micro politics, nobody will do anything if a handful of nutters starts shouting. I wouldn't make an effort to amble up to that little shithole, but I would probably enjoy a coffee and a sandwich in the building which was proposed to replace it, on a regular basis! 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Major Rushen said:

They did this last year....

607997d59c351.jpg

Port Erin could be getting a new pop-up bar at the Cosy Nook Café - if plans are approved.

The Foraging Vintners have applied for permission to use the courtyard on the site for a temporary bar.

In its application, the company says it would put up a marquee and install decking on the beachfront eatery.

If the proposals are given the green light, the facility would open on May 15 until October.

Well I'd certainly use the pop up bar if in Port Erin on a nice sunny day

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Max Power said:

When you look at that photograph, you have to ask what all the fuss is about? The building has been mucked about with and looks horrible. 

This island's problem seems to be micro politics, nobody will do anything if a handful of nutters starts shouting. I wouldn't make an effort to amble up to that little shithole, but I would probably enjoy a coffee and a sandwich in the building which was proposed to replace it, on a regular basis! 

Ab-so-lutely. And that’s Manx politics in a nutshell...’nobody will do anything if a handful of nutters start shouting’. Because our political ‘leaders’ don’t have the cojones to tell the handful of nutters to fuck right off.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Ab-so-lutely. And that’s Manx politics in a nutshell...’nobody will do anything if a handful of nutters start shouting’. Because our political ‘leaders’ don’t have the cojones to tell the handful of nutters to fuck right off.

Agree. 

It is a crappy little building at the arse end of a crappy little promenade.

The proposed building is better in every way imaginable 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...