The Cosy Nook Cafe Port Erin

1 minute ago, SleepyJoe said:

Or this 

le-braye-s-new-terrace.jpg

I don't know if anyone ever claimed that it was a beach cafe Joe? It's just a cafe at the end of the promenade but it is close to the beach.

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Are there any other shitholes we can look to get registered just for a laugh?

Well the Cosy Nook has officially been added to the protected buildings register so a shitty derelict cottage partially obscured by a cheaply constructed serving hatch and a toilet block will be here

The existing structure is a worthless pile of bastardized crap. It’s in a shit state and is a particularly inappropriate food outlet. It has no heritage or architectural substance. The attempt to ‘sav

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Uhtred said:

Ab-so-lutely. And that’s Manx politics in a nutshell...’nobody will do anything if a handful of nutters start shouting’. Because our political ‘leaders’ don’t have the cojones to tell the handful of nutters to fuck right off.

Edited to add. And you’re totally correct Max in terms of the utter nonsense of registering what is to all intents and purposes a bloody awful eyesore. Imagine printing a picture of that calamitous wreck in a promotional brochure with the caption ‘One of our registered buildings’. People would think we’re insane. Justifiably.

• Thanks 2

The thing is the shouty lot are obviously talking about the building, but actually an equally big trigger for them was the rabble rousing of the tenants over the past few years.

Constant claims that PE Commissioners were kicking them out (aka they'd told them that there lease was expiring so they'd need to reapply for it), were trying to sabotage them, were trying to fix things at the wrong time etc.  They created a facebook mob of angry people a long time before the plans ever came out.

I've been going to the cosy nook regularly since I was a kid.  It's all about the location, which is hampered by shit patio, a pretty useless building that people think looks Manx, and some smelly bogs in the middle of the patio.  And don't get me started on the seagull problem.

Build something there that's got some comfortable shelter, keep the views, keep lots of outdoor seating, put in some decent toilets, make it useable all year round.  PE would massively benefit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
8 minutes ago, Chef Raekwon said:

The thing is the shouty lot are obviously talking about the building, but actually an equally big trigger for them was the rabble rousing of the tenants over the past few years.

Constant claims that PE Commissioners were kicking them out (aka they'd told them that there lease was expiring so they'd need to reapply for it), were trying to sabotage them, were trying to fix things at the wrong time etc.  They created a facebook mob of angry people a long time before the plans ever came out.

I've been going to the cosy nook regularly since I was a kid.  It's all about the location, which is hampered by shit patio, a pretty useless building that people think looks Manx, and some smelly bogs in the middle of the patio.  And don't get me started on the seagull problem.

Build something there that's got some comfortable shelter, keep the views, keep lots of outdoor seating, put in some decent toilets, make it useable all year round.  PE would massively benefit.

The Commissioners were in breach of  H&S legislation by failing to maintain the structure of the building .

You are a liar and should be ashamed , hope this helps .

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
15 hours ago, Max Power said:

I don't know if anyone ever claimed that it was a beach cafe Joe? It's just a cafe at the end of the promenade but it is close to the beach.

I think you've highlighted the actual gist of the matter there Max

PE Commissioners & others just won't recognise the fact that the Cosy Nook is a beach cafe

& Chef Raekwon is correct in what he says above needs to be done to improve it

cnbeach.jpg

Edited by SleepyJoe
  • Like 2
18 hours ago, paswt said:

The Commissioners were in breach of  H&S legislation by failing to maintain the structure of the building .

You are a liar and should be ashamed , hope this helps .

Did the tenants report any issues?

1 minute ago, TheTeapot said:

Regularly, for years.

So why was nothing done?

It's location means severe weathering and if nothing is done then it will reach a point of no return.

Like right now...

• Like 1
Just now, P.K. said:

So why was nothing done?

It's location means severe weathering and if nothing is done then it will reach a point of no return.

Like right now...

I don't really know, I think some things were done, but only after lots of noise. It is my impression that the old lease holders and the commissioners fell out quite some time ago really. 

1 minute ago, TheTeapot said:

I don't really know, I think some things were done, but only after lots of noise. It is my impression that the old lease holders and the commissioners fell out quite some time ago really. 

Did they fall out over loss of business vs scheduled maintenance...?

7 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Did they fall out over loss of business vs scheduled maintenance...?

I don't know. There has been coverage on here over the years. I vaguely remember some issue about the roof, timing and loss of business but couldn't say for sure. 

57 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I don't know. There has been coverage on here over the years. I vaguely remember some issue about the roof, timing and loss of business but couldn't say for sure. 

Fair enough.

I was just wondering how a thriving business ends up with the building needing to be demolished.

Something wrong somewhere....