Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Lost Login

Learning to Drive

I know the rules for learning to drive in the IoM but what I am having trouble finding though is whether if you have an IoM provisional license and are over 17 you can have driving lessons in the UK etc subject to the normal UK rules re L plates, being accompanied by a qualified driver. I know you can not take your test there but cannot see whether you can have lessons, practice etc

Reason for asking is that we have a daughter in university in UK and she is now thinking about learning to drive so is about to apply for a an IoM provisional license.  The intention is she would take her test in the IoM but have lessons over here when back for the holidays etc and in the UK when at university.

Edited by Lost Login

7 hours ago, Lost Login said:

I know the rules for learning to drive in the IoM but what I am having trouble finding though is whether if you have an IoM provisional license and are over 17 you can have driving lessons in the UK etc subject to the normal UK rules re L plates, being accompanied by a qualified driver. I know you can not take your test there but cannot see whether you can have lessons, practice etc

Reason for asking is that we have a daughter in university in UK and she is now thinking about learning to drive so is about to apply for a an IoM provisional license.  The intention is she would take her test in the IoM but have lessons over here when back for the holidays etc and in the UK when at university.

She would need an IoM and a Great Britain provisional licence. Then she could take her test in uk.

There are places, Blackpool springs to mind, where intensive week long tuition and test packages are offered.