Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
La Colombe

Lack Of Road Safety Strategy...

16 minutes ago, asitis said:

Perception is a powerful tool, and I have always been concerned about how the A18 Ramsey Road is portrayed as The Mountain Course, The Track etc etc, even in Government releases. Yes it is the famous Mountain Course or The Track at given times and in strictly controlled conditions, for the rest of the time it is a public road and should be subject to public road protections and enforcements !. When events are on and visitors are here, how many local members of the public steer clear of the A18, in my view almost everyone who can ! Is it right that this should be the case , and then the hand wringing when the inevitable serious incidents occur ?. Much of the publicity regarding motorsport events has lost sight of the fact that the A18 is nothing more than a public road (except when its closed for motorsport) and we shouldn't be surprised without speed limits that it is the factor behind many sad occurrences !

But gracious me, where would Audi and Ford go for their TV ads if the Mountain didn't have the culture and reputation behind it? All that free publicity brings the masses here (not), then people find out there's a 50 on it?

It's all part of the same thing. And there are those who will fight any move towards "downgrading" its reputation. It is sacrosanct. Farmers will be paying their grants back before there's a limit up there. :lol:

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, John Wright said:

All drivers to undertake a full day speed and hazard awareness education course as part of driver education.

50mph limits out of town

20mph limits in town

15mph in residential areas

10 year retaking of tests

And 1, 2, and 3 backed up by APNR detection and suspension of licence until paid for and attended speed and hazard awareness training.

And tongue in cheek, I’d ban IAM, which in my view actually encourages bad driving disguised as better driving, in terms of techniques.

A pretty good starter for ten. I’d agree with these. A hundred grand, plus about the same again for the start of a wider ANPR programme should cover it.

Ban the AIM? You do know they teach the same roadcraft as the Police courses ? (Actually you might have a point!)

Just now, Derek Flint said:

Ban the AIM? You do know they teach the same roadcraft as the Police courses ? (Actually you might have a point!)

Exactly. It’s driving for people who don’t have to maintain or repair their own vehicles. It’s no wonder police vehicles have a very short working life.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

But gracious me, where would Audi and Ford go for their TV ads if the Mountain didn't have the culture and reputation behind it? All that free publicity brings the masses here (not), then people find out there's a 50 on it?

It's all part of the same thing. And there are those who will fight any move towards "downgrading" its reputation. It is sacrosanct. Farmers will be paying their grants back before there's a limit up there. :lol:

The biggest irony is that for the Audi closure they put a 90 limit on the closed road. I still haven’t been able to get an answer as to who picked that limit and why? It certainly wasn’t the person who did the risk assessment and event safety plan! 

I have also posed the question that if the opinion of the authorities is that the fastest safe speed on that route is 90mph, with safety oversight , management of the departure of cars, medical and rescue provision and a one way movement of traffic, then how is it justifiable  open that road, two way, and permit derestricted speed? 

I’ve not had an answer as yet to that one. But this is the problem, where the authorities tie themselves in knots rather than to one mast. 

It’s either OK to have derestriction, and all the issues that go with it, or it isn’t. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

All drivers to undertake a full day speed and hazard awareness education course as part of driver education.

50mph limits out of town

20mph limits in town

And 1, 2, and 3 backed up by APNR detection and suspension of licence until paid for and attended speed and hazard awareness training.

And tongue in cheek, I’d ban IAM, which in my view actually encourages bad driving disguised as better driving, in terms of techniques.

I could go with that - especially if the APNR-backed system generated revenue ring-fenced for further road safety measures

• Like 1

JW reply as to Art.2 HRA is on the lines of what I was trying to say. 

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

50mph limits out of town

20mph limits in town

I agree with the above. It's all easily achievable. Further I would want to see the Isle of Man basic driving test made a higher standard which would exceed that of IAM. As a badge of honour maybe people would want to come to the Island to be tested.

Maybe even insist that an Island driving test would be needed before people could drive/ride here. (Have I thought that one through? Yep, I reckon I have).

Incidentally, IAM does provide the skills to drive faster, but also of course more safely and responsibly. Is that a bad thing? The only person I know on the Island who has done an advanced driving course is the guy who killed the woman motorcyclist at Hillberry. But that was after the event. It impressed the lilly-livered judge though.

• Like 1

Alternatively to the above: identify all the twats who are driving on our roads and ban them forever.

• Like 2

Introduce an additional 4×4 driving test. The amount of people that can't drive these is infuriating. Get a small car you 4×4 wankers.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

51 minutes ago, gettafa said:

JW reply as to Art.2 HRA is on the lines of what I was trying to say. 

I agree with the above. It's all easily achievable. Further I would want to see the Isle of Man basic driving test made a higher standard which would exceed that of IAM. As a badge of honour maybe people would want to come to the Island to be tested.

Maybe even insist that an Island driving test would be needed before people could drive/ride here. (Have I thought that one through? Yep, I reckon I have).

Incidentally, IAM does provide the skills to drive faster, but also of course more safely and responsibly. Is that a bad thing? The only person I know on the Island who has done an advanced driving course is the guy who killed the woman motorcyclist at Hillberry. But that was after the event. It impressed the lilly-livered judge though.

The Island test would be a non starter .Imagine all other countries retaliated by making us take a test in their country . A trip to Portugal would mean taking an English test , probably a French test ,a Spanish test and a Portuguese test ---all that before we started the holiday --. I really think your plan on that needs a rethink :cool:

The rest sounds OK though 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Introduce an additional 4×4 driving test. The amount of people that can't drive these is infuriating. Get a small car you 4×4 wankers.

Just drive around when there has been a bit of snow and see how many are stuck in snow because the drivers don't have a clue.

.....a few points,....... slagging off 4x4 drivers is ridiculous, many ordinary saloons are 4x4, say what you mean! You really mean folk in Chelsea tractors who have no need of a 4x4 and have no idea how to drive them. As I have said many, many times before, there are those of us who need 4x4s and use them for what they are designed for and truly know how to use them!.

I think the proposed speed limits are too slow, they need to be realistic. 10 and 15mph are too slow and no-one will stick to them. I would suggest an overall 60mph limit with 30mph in urban areas and 20mph in living areas. There should be a very definite re-appraisal of existing limits especially the ridiculous no limit in country lanes. .............

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

.....a few points,....... slagging off 4x4 drivers is ridiculous, many ordinary saloons are 4x4, say what you mean! You really mean folk in Chelsea tractors who have no need of a 4x4 and have no idea how to drive them. As I have said many, many times before, there are those of us who need 4x4s and use them for what they are designed for and truly know how to use them!.

I think the proposed speed limits are too slow, they need to be realistic. 10 and 15mph are too slow and no-one will stick to them. I would suggest an overall 60mph limit with 30mph in urban areas and 20mph in living areas. There should be a very definite re-appraisal of existing limits especially the ridiculous no limit in country lanes. .............

You make it as though people shouldn't have a choice as to what car they drive, it's their money they can buy whatever the hell they want .....I agree with you regarding the speed limits though.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, yootalkin2me said:

You make it as though people shouldn't have a choice as to what car they drive, it's their money they can buy whatever the hell they want .....I agree with you regarding the speed limits though.

An extreme example, but to illustrate, when I were a lad, one of the rich kid's first bike at 16 was a Kawasaki Z900. His money, he could buy whatever the hell he wanted.

1 hour ago, doc.fixit said:

I think the proposed speed limits are too slow, they need to be realistic. 10 and 15mph are too slow and no-one will stick to them. I would suggest an overall 60mph limit with 30mph in urban areas and 20mph in living areas.

Surely they should be 61, 29 and 23mph?

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, yootalkin2me said:

......................did you by any chance understand what I said? nowhere did I say or intimate that people should not have a choice.............I was suggesting that commentators who believe that some folk don't know how to achieve the full potential of their vehicles should clearly define exactly which vehicles they are talking about..............I am fed up of being lumped together with snowflake, pseudo, wanna be  off road drivers........... I say again, I have a big, powerful 4wd and it is used to it's full potential as a working truck as well as my daily driver...............so, don't pick on me.............

• Like 2