Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
La Colombe

Lack Of Road Safety Strategy...

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, gettafa said:

My visitors over the last 40 years enjoy at least one full lap of the course during their visit, especially the freedom of the unrestricted Mountain. Although they may think so, they don't actually go that fast. but it is the perception that they could if they wished that is the enjoyment. The freedom to choose.

My motorcycle rarely leaves Douglas these days, but it is a huge comfort to me, to know that at any time I could take it for a lap round the course and go as fast as I feel safe on the ever diminishing unrestricted sections. In fact, I know that I will rarely touch say 60 or 70 mph anywhere, but that is not the point.

I value that feeling of freedom and as a biker it is one of the huge benefits of living on this Island.  And it is that feeling of freedom that our visitors value during TT.

Before moving to the Island some years back I lived in Cornwall for 30 odd years - I have a Merc V8 AMG and a Ducati with the 1262cc engine - both can 'make progress' when required.

The odd thing is - I drive faster on the (similar) Cornish roads than on the Island roads due to the appalling standards of driving over here. My daughter has survived her first three years as a new driver over here - I have genuinely lost sleep over her safety - and it is all totally self inflicted for no good reason. Sadly, some of her teenage mates did not make it through.

Derek is correct, whilst 'living in the past' is one of the great attractions of the Island - road safety and driving standards need to be brought right up to date without delay.

Edited by Manximus Aururaneus
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Would it not be safer to overtake at 60 rather than 50?

That would mean breaking the limit. So no, it isn’t.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

People perceived as 'whinging old farts' on a forum (I include myself in that description) will not change the minds of COMIN et al - You need the Mothers and Kids / Medical staff brigade onboard to do that.

We’ve tried that. Not interested.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

That would mean breaking the limit. So no, it isn’t.

You've lost me (ETA too) on that. You're conflating safety with an arbitrary limit, no?

Edited by Bobbie Bobster
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Are you seriously trying to claim that overtaking is safer if you do it at a lesser speed? One more matched to the vehicle you are overtaking?

I'm seriously trying to claim that an overtaking manouvre shouldn't be executed unless it can be done safely without exceeding the speed limit. 

1 minute ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

I'm seriously trying to claim that an overtaking manouvre shouldn't be executed unless it can be done safely without exceeding the speed limit. 

What makes speed limit+1 mph any less safe than speed limit-1 mph?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

I'm not saying I disagree with you, but we're completely missing the purpose of Stinky's original point with regards to motorists going 35 mph is a 50 zone. 

If it wasn't so painfully common for people to travel well under the speed limit, the conversation of safe/unsafe overtaking would never have occurred.

P.s. before some wise-crack says 'its a limit, not a target', if you were to re-sit your driving test and do 35 in a 50, you will fail. Why? Because it is argued that it can be unsafe to drive well below the legal limit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

That wasn'the the question

If the limit is set at 50, then that is the limit. It’s been imposed as part of a Safe System approach to speed, in conjunction with any safe roads aspects concerning the engineering of that route. So the conclusion has to be that exceeding 50mph on that route exponentially increases risk. This will be compounded by being on the other side of the road.

the reality of course is that a driver makes their own, risk-based assessment. They will balance the legal restriction, what they can sense through sight, sound and feeling transmitted by the car back to the steering wheel and their bottom. They will take into consideration the prevailing weather conditions, the performance of their vehicle, the performance, size and other aspects of the vehicle they are overtaking , and the same aspects of any vehicle either approaching them, or behind them. They will then consider the possibility of being prosecuted, either by police observations, or perhaps analysis of some dashcam footage. The result of that process will guide their decision. 

Simples.

1 minute ago, Derek Flint said:

If the limit is set at 50, then that is the limit. It’s been imposed as part of a Safe System approach to speed, in conjunction with any safe roads aspects concerning the engineering of that route. So the conclusion has to be that exceeding 50mph on that route exponentially increases risk. This will be compounded by being on the other side of the road.

the reality of course is that a driver makes their own, risk-based assessment. They will balance the legal restriction, what they can sense through sight, sound and feeling transmitted by the car back to the steering wheel and their bottom. They will take into consideration the prevailing weather conditions, the performance of their vehicle, the performance, size and other aspects of the vehicle they are overtaking , and the same aspects of any vehicle either approaching them, or behind them. They will then consider the possibility of being prosecuted, either by police observations, or perhaps analysis of some dashcam footage. The result of that process will guide their decision. 

Simples.

Most of that result will be good for them but wrong for other road users

Posted (edited)

Bad driving.

Mobile phones. I work next to a road and if I had a quid for each person I see using their phone especially when slowed down or stopped for the junction (is that ok to do?) I wouldn't have to work.

When driving behind a car, take a look at the wing mirrors. If you can see the driver, well at least the mirrors are set correctly, but as in so many cases, the mirrors are either set at some random position or set to the pavement so the driver can say "hi" or beep or whatever if they see one of their mates.

Would you really trust either of these types to drive safely up on the mountain, or indeed anywhere?

Edited by gettafa
typos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

Average speed cameras are the way forward. Single site stuff is a bit 1990

If you're yearning for average speed cameras Del can I suggest moving to the UK. Cheers.

1 hour ago, vee_dub said:

If you're yearning for average speed cameras Del can I suggest moving to the UK. Cheers.

I’m not

I am advocating safer roads. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

What makes speed limit+1 mph any less safe than speed limit-1 mph?

In that case let's derestrict speed on all roads and leave speed safety to the judgment of the motorists...oh hang on a minute.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gettafa said:

Bad driving.

Mobole phones. I work next to a road and if I had a quid for each person I see using their phone especially when slowed down or stopped for the junction (is that ok to do?) I wouldn't have to work.

When driving behind a car, take a look at the wing mirrors. If you can see the driver, well at least the mirrors are set correctly, but as in so many case, the mirrors are either set at some random position or set to the pavement so the driver can say high or beep or whatever if they see one of their mates.

Would you really trust either of these types to drive safely up on the mountain, or indeed anywhere?

If the police positioned themselves at either the QB roundabout or on the promenade by the old Villiers, they will see so many vehicle drivers using their phones. Round that lot up and they won't have a funding shortage...

• Like 1