Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
La Colombe

Lack Of Road Safety Strategy...

59 minutes ago, yootalkin2me said:

What I am saying is that you are having a go at people buying and driving Chelsea Tractors, however, they can buy and drive whatever the hell they like, it is no one's business but theirs.

........I certainly wasn't doing what you are saying, of course folk can buy and drive what they like........I definitely was saying that a lot of folk with Chelsea tractors have no idea how to drive them to their full potential.............just as a load of folk with supercars or superfast cars can't drive them to their full potential.............take it or leave it that's what I think!...........I'm not discussing it any more 'cos I don't think you are understanding what I wrote, either that or I'm not explaining myself adequately............either way, I'm done..........

While we are on the subject of a safer roads  strategy (or in fact, lack of it by this Government) perhaps we could add our own ideas ,maybe gleaned from other more forward looking countries.Some of these would undoubtedly be taken up by the Government and passed off as their ideas .... but who cares if it makes our roads safer. 

One thing I came across  a while ago while driving in the Netherlands was a thing called the Dutch Reach.  ----Possibly not what you think :mellow:

It involves always opening your car door with the hand furthest from that door. By doing this it automatically makes you turn your body and look into the door mirror and also puts you in a position to look back before you open the door. It is claimed that this simple action has saved thousands   of collisions between cyclists and car doors and one assumes many lives and injuries and damage . Simple but effective . Just Google it and there are plenty of videos showing it in action .

Lets have some more innovative ideas that maybe one day will be translated into safer roads for all road users .

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, emesde said:

While we are on the subject of a safer roads  strategy (or in fact, lack of it by this Government) perhaps we could add our own ideas ,maybe gleaned from other more forward looking countries.Some of these would undoubtedly be taken up by the Government and passed off as their ideas .... but who cares if it makes our roads safer. 

One thing I came across  a while ago while driving in the Netherlands was a thing called the Dutch Reach.  ----Possibly not what you think :mellow:

It involves always opening your car door with the hand furthest from that door. By doing this it automatically makes you turn your body and look into the door mirror and also puts you in a position to look back before you open the door. It is claimed that this simple action has saved thousands   of collisions between cyclists and car doors and one assumes many lives and injuries and damage . Simple but effective . Just Google it and there are plenty of videos showing it in action .

Lets have some more innovative ideas that maybe one day will be translated into safer roads for all road users .

All little things that can be part of an evolving culture. 

However; 

Many years ago, I was a bobby in Blackpool. A lot of policing in that town is geared around maintaining order in the night time economy. One of the biggest problems was the transient population of about 17 million visitors a year. It meant it was very difficult to set culture in a positive way. 

We have a similar issue with 35,000 visitors on bikes each year. They come to have a good time, but if you carry the analogy from Blackpool, there are a number who come to “get pissed up and have a fight”, but more in motoring terms.

That is why we have to try much harder on this than other places might. When they turn up, they have to know that this is a motoring utopia, but also an unapologetically safe place. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, emesde said:

Having said that, they do wear wooden shoes and their hats sideways and mostly ride pushbikes.

They even blacklisted us, so as far as I am concerned they can p*** off

• Like 1

I've been following a travel journal on youtube about 2 motorcyclists going through Europe. In Switzerland one was caught by an average speed trap at slightly under twice the limit of 80kph for that stretch mountain road. The on the spot fine was £3000 . That's right , 3 grand. On top of that, an immediate 3 month ban so he had to get the bike transported out of the country. If he had been twice the limit it would have been a prison sentence as well.

I think that might get everyone's attention if we went down that route.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Tractors have a 25 mph gearbox. Cyclists average 16-20 mph. Horses are really slow. 

16-20mph Is that down Crellins hill with a tailwind...

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, The Central Scrutiniser said:

I've been following a travel journal on youtube about 2 motorcyclists going through Europe. In Switzerland one was caught by an average speed trap at slightly under twice the limit of 80kph for that stretch mountain road. The on the spot fine was £3000 . That's right , 3 grand. On top of that, an immediate 3 month ban so he had to get the bike transported out of the country. If he had been twice the limit it would have been a prison sentence as well.

Well ok...but do we really want to model ourselves on fruitcakes like the Swiss?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, The Central Scrutiniser said:

Instead of jailing and fining them, confiscate the vehicle and crush it... Saves costs on feeding them in prison and avoids admin costs for fines. RESULT...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, The Central Scrutiniser said:

The budget bike battle was better.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Well ok...but do we really want to model ourselves on fruitcakes like the Swiss?

I know of a local chap fined £600 for speeding in Denmark. 

2 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

He had just robbed a bank though.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

The poor exchange rate probably doesn't help but I'd still rather have a large fine than the hassle of points and possible insurance/future licence issues.

2 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Well I have much more affection for the Danes than the Swiss so he must have deserved it!

Dutch cyclists don't wear Lycra. Says a lot!!!

• Like 1

Er, not quite true there Kopek...

PAY-A-young-woman-professional-cyclist-has-racked-up-a-huge-following-on-social-media-with-non-cycling-related-snaps.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2