Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
La Colombe

Lack Of Road Safety Strategy...

I’d like to see a second driving test being done after 1 year which you need to pass to get rid of your R plates. It’s always said that your “learning” continues after passing your test, so let’s see how it’s gone!

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Cars may be faster today but they tend to handle better, have better brakes and safety aids.  

I agree Max, but those handling, braking and safety aids do encourage people to drive faster, often beyond their abilities and the prevailing conditions. BL Minis would do 80 if pushed but you knew you were getting there when you reached 50 :lol:.

Nowadays you can be sitting comfortably at twice that speed. Which is fine until it all goes wrong, i.e. you encounter the ice or the traffic situation in which case it all happens a lot faster and takes a lot more recovering than if you were doing 50. Which is where the ability level and/or experience comes in. But it's ok cos we've all got airbags now?

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

While I wouldn't like it I can't help thinking some kind of competency review or something might be an idea worth looking at. And building a skid pan. The only time I've ever had a proper skid I ended up in a wall because I didn't really know how to deal with it.

Do they still incorporate the skid pan in the advanced drivers test?

34 minutes ago, andrew said:

I’d like to see a second driving test being done after 1 year which you need to pass to get rid of your R plates. It’s always said that your “learning” continues after passing your test, so let’s see how it’s gone!

Better still, after after one year but within three, all drivers must undergo the advanced driver training. Fail that and away with your driving licence

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neil Down said:

Do they still incorporate the skid pan in the advanced drivers test?

No - I don't think there's a skid pan here, although they were going to put one (or one of those spider rigs) up at Jurby some years ago. Until the money ran out.

Derek Flint is joining me live on Talking Heads tomorrow at noon to discuss this 'strategy' so feel free to chip in (661368 to talk, 166177 to text, email: talk@manxradio.com)

• Like 2

all this new tests and regular tests idea is just bollox and a money spinner.  anybody taking a 'test'  drives in a manner that should see them pass that test,  as soon as the test is passed you drive the same as every other blinkered inconsiderate cunt on the roads.   how many people who drive most days keep 2 hands on the steering wheel in about the 10 to 2 position and never cross their arms when turning the wheel??   less than  10% would be my guess,  and these are the twats that dither along at 30 mph or less speed limit or not.

• Like 2

Crossing your arm is encouraged and "shuffling" the wheel is discouraged by driving instructors these days.

2 hours ago, Twitch said:

Max, where is your evidence that it's a minority of accidents caused by excessive speed? 

Well there we go, we need proper root cause statistics! I'm sure that you'd agree that the majority of accidents tend to happen in towns or in traffic and are generally comparatively minor? I know of a few fatalities which have arisen from minor accidents at low speed and fairly recently. These tend to paint a picture of a huge speed related problem which isn't the case. Perhaps Derek could confirm?  

8 minutes ago, finlo said:

Crossing your arm is encouraged and "shuffling" the wheel is discouraged by driving instructors these days.

So is using the gearbox to slow down at stop signs apparently! 

Edited by Max Power

15 minutes ago, finlo said:

Using bloody indicators seems to be discouraged judging by a large number of numpties on the road...:pinch:

• Like 2

...........I just knew that MOTs would be brought up. Just a money making scam ............roadside checks and if something is found then off to the govt test site is the way to go..........

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, finlo said:

God knows why though

Look at the video of Mark Higgins when the Subaru stepped out after bottoming out at the bottom of Bray Hill

He didn’t cross his arms to regain control, he shuffled.

56 minutes ago, finlo said:

1 minute ago, dilligaf said:

God knows why though

Look at the video of Mark Higgins when the Subaru stepped out after bottoming out at the bottom of Bray Hill

He didn’t cross his arms to regain control, he shuffled.

It's apparently because in the event of the airbag going off it would break your arm and not prevent chest injuries??

52 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Well there we go, we need proper root cause statistics! I'm sure that you'd agree that the majority of accidents tend to happen in towns or in traffic and are generally comparatively minor? I know of a few fatalities which have arisen from minor accidents at low speed and fairly recently. These tend to paint a picture of a huge speed related problem which isn't the case. Perhaps Derek could confirm?  

Ok, accidents resulting in death or serious injury. My belief is that we do have a huge speed related problem on public roads (the road racing community might feel different?) and the fact that our death rate on public open roads is considerably worse than England's for example, is perhaps a clue that we have a problem.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Twitch said:

Ok, accidents resulting in death or serious injury. My belief is that we do have a huge speed related problem on public roads (the road racing community might feel different?) and the fact that our death rate on public open roads is considerably worse than England's for example, is perhaps a clue that we have a problem.

I'm not disagreeing with you Twitch, just trying to put a little perspective on the statistics, which could be presented in a more meaningful fashion.

• Like 1